Esure - Stillen Exhaust - Good or Bad?!?!?

rogerxp

In typical style I've just ordered a full Stillen exhaust system, to arrive on Monday, but forgot completely about the insurance side of things.

I'm currently insured with Esure.

Before I make the fateful call, does anyone know whether Esure are exhaust-mod friendly???

I cancelled my last policy (with Swift) just after renewal as the premium went crazy (and they insisted on a tracker) when I got the 370Z so it was cheaper to swallow the pill and change but don't really want to change again.

Any ideas???

Phone them and ask?

Admiral are very mod friendly if you need to swap cover, although dont cover like for like typically - the Nissan unit will cost more than the Stillen in the unlikely event you need a new one.

I had to cancel my Esure insurance because they wouldn't cover spacers!

I don't think you will have a problem with the exhaust to be fair. They may want to charge you a little more than some of the others but doubt they will refuse.

Admiral, Elephant, Sky are other options if you do have to change

Not sure about the 370 but I am told that the ECU on the 350 cancels out any gain so when I swap my exhaust I was going to tell the insurance that there would be no bhp gains until I decided on whether to get uprev.

I would play it down a little anyway and maybe just play dumb, give them the name of the system but you don't know of the gains.

Nice one, I'll call them, just wanted some back-up before I spoke to them.

What's the Stillen, 19bhp increase, something like that???

I would just tell them that you are swapping the exhaust, nothing more unless asked. I very much doubt they will ask you what difference in BHP it makes ;)

Right, I plucked up courage to make the call (I hate speaking to insurers), and they were absolutely fine :) .

I just answered the 'does it increase sound & performance' question with a 'yes' and she returned with 'that's no problem'. I did say that I thought it increased the bhp by around 18 but wasn't really a significant difference. I asked if they wanted to know the name of the system but she said they didn't need to know unless there was a significant different (quote from the underwriter).

Premium increased from £828p/a by a further £82.

Happy with that :thumbs: .

If they are willing to cover you and you are happy with the amount then your laughing.

Well, they're happy to cover me, and I'm 'OK' about paying the figure.

Still somewhat surprise by how much is costs to insure me. Completely clean license, never made a claim, 35 yr old married man, live in a decent area. What the frig do I need to do to get the premium down; my excess is alreay eye-wateringly high (don't say change car :lol: ).

Add the Mrs as a named driver - CHECK

Park your car on the street overnight (actually £80 cheaper than in my garage) - parked on driveway

Move house to an even better area - Jesus, cheaper to pay more insurance :lol:

Swap your job (or work for an insurance company) - mmm, I'm a 'professional' if that helps

Buy a fiesta 1.2 - no thanks ;)

Add the Mrs as a named driver - CHECK

Park your car on the street overnight (actually £80 cheaper than in my garage) - parked on driveway

Move house to an even better area - Jesus, cheaper to pay more insurance :lol:

Swap your job (or work for an insurance company) - mmm, I'm a 'professional' if that helps

Buy a fiesta 1.2 - no thanks ;)

my cousin (single female) a very nice lady copper lives near you (somewhere) - ask her to go on it as well - she drives a Toyota IQ 1.0L :lol:

• 1 month later...

I don't think you will have a problem with the exhaust to be fair. They may want to charge you a little more than some of the others but doubt they will refuse.

Surprised at that, they cover my Akro, Hi Flo's and spacers, @ £90 extra! New docs that came through names the mods, strange that they said they wouldn't cover yours!?!

A few years ago I was with Direct Line, they refused point blank to insure the Borla I had on my RX8 :shrug:

Surprised at that, they cover my Akro, Hi Flo's and spacers, @ £90 extra! New docs that came through names the mods, strange that they said they wouldn't cover yours!?!

A few years ago I was with Direct Line, they refused point blank to insure the Borla I had on my RX8 :shrug:

companys are now starting to realise that people that modifiy there cars take more care of them usually. I imagine if i had owned a corsa vxr and wanted to put a big exhaust on it they would probably ream my rectum but because of the Z status and usual ownership type (until recently) it is a pretty respectable car so dont bum that much more onto it.

• 2 weeks later...
I should really post a before/just after/2 months after diary of my Stillen experience shouldn't I...

Will make time for a write-up soon.

I'd be interested to know how much difference this makes to the sound of the car over the stock exhaust. I love my Z but would like it to have a bit more of a "growl" without sounding too mental. (I reckon I'm cautious because the only exhaust mods I see 'in the flesh' seem to be on clapped out cars driven by teenagers, which look stupid and sound truly horrible)

I've seen quite a few vids on the net showing 370Zs with various different exhausts. I think the Stillen vid sounded good - more growl than the stock, but not as over the top as some.

Did you have much bother finding someone to fit it?

Hi, yes I'll happily report back but just been too busy recently to get round to it, big exam tomorrow absorbing all my time, plus 101 jobs around the house need doing as we're expecting our 2nd child in 3 weeks - the wife is nesting and EVERYTHING needs mending/painting/moving/replacing/cleaning, etc (driving me mental). Anyway...

A local exhaust fitter did mine, not sure who exactly; my car was in for some repair work and they asked their favoured trusted exhaust fitter locally to put it on, then delivered the stock exhaust back to my house (I know the bodyshop owner), so it all worked out well. I'm sure someone could recommend someone local to you though.

I've got before & after vids also but don't know how to post them as I shot them in 1080 so huge filesize. Anyone know where is best to 'privately' upload large video files (when I say private I mean you guys can see them but don't really want the world being able to freely search for them - I forgot to cover up my reg plate - doh).

...thinking about it, the easiest thing to do is point to you a thread I made on another forum I regularily contribute to. I'm obviously educating my mates with Beemers so you just need to gloss over the bits you know.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthrea ... light=370z

No videos on there though but will post if someone can tell me how to post up video up to 600mb (most between 200 & 400mb though).