Egg on tyre sidewall?

marzman

Hi all,

I've had a slow puncture on my front right wheel since i got back from the 'ring a couple of weeks ago, so i took it to the garage this morning...

He took the wheel off, and there is a small bulge on the inside edge of the sidewall... it's not immediately noticeable, but it is there...

So anyway, we found the culprit to be a faulty valve (which he doesnt know how to fix?!), but regardless he said he wouldnt refit that tyre anyway due to the egg...

To make matters worse, i have Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres fitted, but these have been replaced with the Assymetric versions, so the garage said they cant get any tyres the same as mine - so i have to either replace both front or all 4 tyres. :rant:

So my questions in order are:

1. For a minor bulge in the tyre wall, is it necessary to replace the tyre?

2. Valves on Volk wheels... are they Volk specific or do any generic valves work?

3. Can anyone recommend a supplier for 1x Goodyear Eagle F1 tyre (non-assymetric). I have found one on eBay at £160, but cant find any on the usual supplier sites (camskill etc)

Cheers.

Doesnt sound good bud - but an egg on the sidewall is an MOT fail I beleive and also not a good thing to have in general so they are right in making you replace it - no matter how annoying or expensive.

Cant help on the other fronts I'm afraid.

Once a tyre wall has a bulge it is advisable to replace the tyre, you have a weak spot now and unfortunately no one could say if it will fail sooner or later so best to be on the safe side :thumbs: You don't want that blowing out at 80 on a motorway :scare::scare::wacko:

Egg (aka a bulge in the sidewall) is a tear in the structure of the tyre, so yes no matter how small it is dangerous and its there waiting for enough pressure to pop it at this weak point.

As for Volk Valves, are they just a 90 degree valve? if so not many places stock them but you can just use a generic valve and leave the hole poking through the face of the wheel. In any case a standard valve is fine, I have never had a valve hole in an ally be a completely different size to standard. I have fitted everything from £30 shi**ers to £20,000 Brabus SLR alloys

Get a picture up if you can of the valve.

Egg (aka a bulge in the sidewall) is a tear in the structure of the tyre, so yes no matter how small it is dangerous and its there waiting for enough pressure to pop it at this weak point.

As for Volk Valves, are they just a 90 degree valve? if so not many places stock them but you can just use a generic valve and leave the hole poking through the face of the wheel. In any case a standard valve is fine, I have never had a valve hole in an ally be a completely different size to standard. I have fitted everything from £30 shi**ers to £20,000 Brabus SLR alloys

Get a picture up if you can of the valve.

Yeh thanks all, i hadnt thought about the MOT.

Tez, sounds like a 90 degree valve, see the pic below. So you think just fitting a standard valve will work? Sounds like a plan...

valve.jpg

Once a tyre wall has a bulge it is advisable to replace the tyre, you have a weak spot now and unfortunately no one could say if it will fail sooner or later so best to be on the safe side :thumbs: You don't want that blowing out at 80 on a motorway :scare::scare::wacko:

CHANGE IT!

After witnessing a car leave the outside lane into the hard shoulder at a 90 degree angle and smack right into the barrier at 70+. It wasn't pretty and could have taken out a number of cars in it's path to the hard shoulder barrier! (Heading from Port Solent to Maidstone)

I wouldn't want to drive round on a tyre which could pop at any moment. It's for your own safety mate. A costly replacement but life is priceless. :thumbs:

CHANGE IT!

After witnessing a car leave the outside lane into the hard shoulder at a 90 degree angle and smack right into the barrier at 70+. It wasn't pretty and could have taken out a number of cars in it's path to the hard shoulder barrier! (Heading from Port Solent to Maidstone)

I wouldn't want to drive round on a tyre which could pop at any moment. It's for your own safety mate. A costly replacement but life is priceless. :thumbs:

Cheers pal - i've found a replacement (same type) on eBay for only £160, so that should be turning up tomorrow.

I've had a slow puncture on my front right wheel since i got back from the 'ring a couple of weeks ago, so i took it to the garage this morning...

He took the wheel off, and there is a small bulge on the inside edge of the sidewall... it's not immediately noticeable, but it is there...

Yeah, a slow puncture will often lead to the tyre overheating and bulging especially if the pressure drops below 20. Had the same thing myself on my Zed 3 about years ago.

Pete

Good man marz....... yeh 170 quid lighter just now....... but just imagine the cost if your tyre blew out while driving........... so really its a saving :blush::thumbs:

+1 might seem expensive but nothing compared to paying out if the worst had happened :thumbs: