Car burning crazy amounts of oil

Michael robinson

Not sure mate it was in for a fault of snapped earth wire then they wrang up the day saying when they got it started it was blowing @*!# loads of smoke and was burning big amounts of oil , going to go down in my dinner break to see how bad it is :headhurt: 2011 is defiantly not my year had nothing but trouble with it :dry:

So aside from a snapped earth wire, it entered the garage in good condition, and whilst there, it has developped a more serious issue?

Sounds like the numpties have buggered something.

Not sure mate it was in for a fault of snapped earth wire then they wrang up the day saying when they got it started it was blowing @*!# loads of smoke and was burning big amounts of oil , going to go down in my dinner break to see how bad it is :headhurt: 2011 is defiantly not my year had nothing but trouble with it :dry:

How did you know it had a snapped earth cable? Did the car not start or something prior to taking it in? How do they know its burning huge amounts of oil if they only just got it started? Have they measured this? Dont see how all of a sudden it can be burning huge amounts of oil if it was not before it entered the garage unless they have ****ed something whilst repairing the cable like a breather pipe or something :shrug:

Early zed engine's are not known to burn oil. :)

Right, might've been more helpful to have kept everything on the one thread, but let's not dwell on that right now.

So if I'm right what we've got here is this:

Approx 2 months ago the car stopped and wouldn't start. Car was taken to Nissan who fixed (what did they do exactly?).

Last week you had a CEL giving a fault code regarding an issue with one of the cats, this occurred along with an erratic idle.

Car then broke down again whilst being driven and would not start again. Car was again taken to Nissan who diagnosed a broken earth strap and repaired (presumably). They then told you that the car was smoking heavily and using a lot of oil.

Correct so far?

I repair, build etc motorcycles for a living. Fortunately it rarely happens when they're in my shop BUT, components break at some point in their life and I've had it happen to me where something totally unrelated to the job I was doing (changing a back tyre for example) lets go (a gearbox for example!).

However, having said that, a car to suddenly start smoking is very suspicious unless they've blocked a breather or something. Did you check your mileage and fuel before you took it in?

Right just getting out of having a meeting with Nissan , the tec said the car had two faults

1) starting issue - which was found to be a corroded earth wire under the washer bottle to the engine Which has now been fixed for free .

2) burning oil , the car is burning oil "crazy amounts" was over the top but none the less it looks like it is so it has to be done, it's abit strange as it only seems to smoke when idling but clears up when it is Rev'd

They are adment they have not caused it but have agreed to do a few hour's work for free so can't complain really .

They're going to start with suction pipe on plenum then work through cam covers etc

I Will update again once I find out a cause

Yip Mileage was 47085 when I went today it was 47087 they said they test drove it .

And tank was 3/4 full when I went today it was still 3/4 full

2) burning oil , the car is burning oil "crazy amounts" was over the top but none the less it looks like it is so it has to be done, it's abit strange as it only seems to smoke when idling but clears up when it is Rev'd

They are adment they have not caused it but have agreed to do a few hour's work for free so can't complain really .

They're going to start with suction pipe on plenum then work through cam covers etc

Sounds like to me they're going to clean out the intake of the oil rather than actually find out what the cause of the oil burning is. I don't actually think there is a problem y'know, as if there was you'd notice yourself when doing your weekly oil checks (you do do your weekly oil checks, don't you? ;) ) and if it was that bad I reckon you'd have a seized engine by now.

Personally I'd be cleaning the MAF with some carb cleaner, letting Nissan clean your entire intake system (including throttle body), resetting the ECU and then seeing how the car feels.

Sounds like to me they're going to clean out the intake of the oil rather than actually find out what the cause of the oil burning is. I don't actually think there is a problem y'know, as if there was you'd notice yourself when doing your weekly oil checks (you do do your weekly oil checks, don't you? ;) ) and if it was that bad I reckon you'd have a seized engine by now.

Personally I'd be cleaning the MAF with some carb cleaner, letting Nissan clean your entire intake system (including throttle body), resetting the ECU and then seeing how the car feels.

Ditto. Maybe it was just a mechanic 'scoffing' at the oil burn when he started. If it's been standing or running badly due to the earthing problem you could have a build up that just needs clearing, maybe from the valve guides or even past the rings if it's been fuelling bad due to that earth problem.

Let them do there bit then drive it normally for a few days and see how it is.

(you do do your weekly oil checks, don't you? ;) ) and if it was that bad I reckon you'd have a seized engine by now.

Well not exactly weekly but every two weeks I defiantly check everything and haven't notice anything untoward .

I will try that once they have used there free time they have promise investigating and cleaning :thumbs:

Two weeks is fine fella, probably better than I used to do on my Zed anyway! :lol:

I'm almost convinced there's no issue now after hearing you say that, you'd have picked up on oil loss long before a Nissan tech after 5 mins of working on your car.

ok had the tech on the phone again today they have finished there "free" work which was -

1) clean and check suction pipe and plenum.

2) check cam covers and oil seal's around the plugs.

3) remove plugs and visually check cylinder (found that the right back had oil in them)

4) flushed oil system and renewed oil and oil filter.

he thinks it's either the oil stem seals or my piston rings but he is unsure.

i asked him to quote me a price to check these and replace if necessary, which he replyed about 3 - 4k so i declind and have decided to pic the car up tomorro and have ago at stripping it down my self :headhurt:

I have been told to put slick 50 in the oil and it would take up the leak but i feel that this is not doing it properly and masking the problem .

nothing but bad luck with this car this year :rant:

ok had the tech on the phone again today they have finished there "free" work which was -

1) clean and check suction pipe and plenum.

2) check cam covers and oil seal's around the plugs.

3) remove plugs and visually check cylinder (found that the right back had oil in them)

4) flushed oil system and renewed oil and oil filter.

he thinks it's either the oil stem seals or my piston rings but he is unsure.

i asked him to quote me a price to check these and replace if necessary, which he replyed about 3 - 4k so i declind and have decided to pic the car up tomorro and have ago at stripping it down my self :headhurt:

I have been told to put slick 50 in the oil and it would take up the leak but i feel that this is not doing it properly and masking the problem .

nothing but bad luck with this car this year :rant:

Whats the milage on the car?

• 1 month later...

well still no further forward with this nissan are just fobbing me off so it looks like al have to bite the bullit and i have booked it in to a rally car building garage (auto links) in jesmond (newcastle) on the 12th sept to get the engine striped properly (as i tryed my self but got abit nervis about stripping the engine :headhurt: )

wish me luck god no's i need it with this car :angry: