should we have a 350Z club garage function (poll)

Should we have a Garage area on the forum  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a Garage area on the forum

• YES
    • NO
    • DON'T CARE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones Rich and John have pointed to are - http://www.bbgaragemod.com/ - this is one I've not seen before. The one we tried before was the one LordGrover links to and as Dan says its massively unstable and not very well maintained.

I'll have a look at the bbgaragemod at some point and let you know how it looks. Cant do it this weekend as I'm off biking, so might be a while.

The ones Rich and John have pointed to are - http://www.bbgaragemod.com/ - this is one I've not seen before. The one we tried before was the one LordGrover links to and as Dan says its massively unstable and not very well maintained.

I'll have a look at the bbgaragemod at some point and let you know how it looks. Cant do it this weekend as I'm off biking, so might be a while.

Cancel the biking!! :thumbs:

We can but try. As I said we had a different garage mod on test on a backup test forum but it was using the same host as the main site, and it managed to crash the main forum - very unstable :surrender:

If you want to do a "build" page... just start a thread and put all your stuff on it....

Easy as that really.. :teeth:

true that, but maybe have a sub forum called build thread or even if requested by the member that the forum creates a sub category if someone wants to have a build thread so it's easy for anyone else to find them.

A build thread isn't the same as a garage really :(

Quite excited if we get this working :teeth::yahoo:

I must be missing the idea of what the garage is then... :blush:

Isn't it just a page with detail of your car on?

Same as a build page? Like the one in my signature? :wacko:

You might be waiting a while. It took a few weeks just to skin the last mod, and that fell on its face as it kept crashing. I might have time on Sunday now the weather looks crap to have a look at it and install it on a test forum, but I can see it taking upto a month to get this up and running as we need to solve our performance issues first ;)

A build thread isn't the same as a garage really :(

I must be missing the idea of what the garage is then... :blush:

Isn't it just a page with detail of your car on?

Same as a build page? Like the one in my signature? :wacko:

Taking this one as an example http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/garage.php

it combines a number of things in an easy to follow way and also introduces new elements at the same time.

Picking out sections that are of interest:

On the front page you have the summary of all the vehicles in the club, say it's for bragging rights or just to make people enthusiastic about filling in the information for the chance to get on the front page, its still a load of fun. ontop of that, newly joined members can see what a fully modified car looks like and how much it costs to get there in the real world.

-Top rated vehicle gives you an idea of what people on the whole like, not necessarily the most costly car.

-newest vehicles, like the newest member section on the front page but for the car rather than the member

-top dyno runs, this would bring order to the dyno runs thread that is buried away somewhere and fold it into the garage.

-most modified vehicle & most money spent, lets you see how those show cars and track cars compare to other members vehicles

-The insurance tab gives a fair statisistical view of what insurance really costs us. How tmany threads saying "how much did your insurance blah blah blah", now they can be pointed here for the information they need. So this folds in all those pesky insurance cost threads.

-Garage review tab, this nicely organises the garage thread into something readable with attached ratings, also this gets rid of the need for appreciation threads everywhere, if you recieved good service fill in the info.

I honestly think an add on to the forum that folds in; dyno threads, appreciation threads, garage review threads, insurance cost threads, build threads, new member vehicle threads & a whole bunch of fun info to chat about, is worth while :) I appreciate it takes time and I don't suggest it appears overnight :lol: Just that it would be good to have.

Just to let people know that the vote is changeable, i set it up so that if you change your mind you can switch you vote, so all those who "don't care" might see the use of this and maybe swap their vote. ;)

Just to let people know that the vote is changeable, i set it up so that if you change your mind you can switch you vote, so all those who "don't care" might see the use of this and maybe swap their vote. ;)

Worth noting, we might limit the cars to 350z and 370z :p:lol:

Worth noting, we might limit the cars to 350z and 370z :p:lol:

i suppose it would be embarrassing that the fast car wasn't a Zed :shrug: what with Ians R34 and my Jag, and dans Porsche and Attaks aston the top of the table would be void of Zeds in all BHP, power, Top speed, Dyno etc tables :lol:

Pretty sure I couldn't be bothered to fill all that in :D

Plus.. does it go down to every detail on the car? Every mod you have done?

Would be impressed if it did :thumbs:

you can input every mod from superchargers to a decal. add the cost etc, where it was bought from, who fitted it etc, and then link to it reviews you might write for the garage that did the work, to a review of the place you bought it from etc.

Nice way to compeletly fill the database with random crap - although the Green Room does a good attempt at that anyway :lol:

You make a good point about other cars - will definately be limited to 350z and 370z only - will get too convoluted with other marques if we dont.

you can input every mod from superchargers to a decal. add the cost etc, where it was bought from, who fitted it etc, and then link to it reviews you might write for the garage that did the work, to a review of the place you bought it from etc.

But you can do that on a build page...

Still don't really see the point myself.... :blink:

But you can do that on a build page...

Still don't really see the point myself.... :blink:

A build page is like one giant block of text with pictures, that then disappears into the forum never to be seen again, its then down to the ability of the poster to add in things like hyper links to other threads etc, most people don't do that. they then have other threads for whos the cheapest insurance, where can i get a JWT, how much is this, where do i buy this etc.

with the garage area.it automatically seperates things out etc, its a database at the end of the day, with a funky skin on it to make it look pretty and easy to search and flick through.

in your area for your car, you can add all the different mods in each section, add any info etc. then it adds it to the main database,

it will then give the club updates on the front page, like, latest mod fitted, etc but it keep sit all linked to that car, it then links to others who have done a similiar thing, so if you click on the JWT pop charger it will show you all the others who have one, what they paid (if they put the price up)

have a look and a browse round the MR2 roadster one. it just makes alot more sense than a build thread.

get a bigger database allowance? can that be done?

Its not the size, its the number and complexity of the queries it runs. The problem with a lot of these mods is they add very inefficient SQL to the software whereas the default SQL for the forum is designed to be efficient. No problem on small boards (by small I mean number of posts and posts per day, not number of members), but on ours where we have a lot of activity it makes a big difference. Shouldnt be a problem, but it looks like quite a big mod, so needs investigating.