Purchasing CAT D repaired, resprayed

zcomputer5

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am interested in getting a 350z and I would really like to get it in pearl white. I have found a cheap one on a 54 plate, with only 17000 miles with a full service history, BUT it is a cat d repaired car and has been resprayed from orange to white. The seller is asking £6300, so I should be able to get it fo around £6000 ish, what do people think to getting a cat d resprayed 350z? Is it asking for trouble? Thanks.

You just don't know what you are getting mate. There are a few posts on here if you search through for the pros n cons. Obviously it is much cheaper but it's still £6k which in most peoples books is a fair wodge of money. Plus come resale time you will find a lot of people turning their nose up at it.

You should be able to get a decent import 03 car for around £7k-£8k can you stretch that far? I for one would rather have a higher mileage car with no accident history than a damaged one with low mileage.

You just don't know what you are getting mate. There are a few posts on here if you search through for the pros n cons. Obviously it is much cheaper but it's still £6k which in most peoples books is a fair wodge of money. Plus come resale time you will find a lot of people turning their nose up at it.

You should be able to get a decent import 03 car for around £7k-£8k can you stretch that far? I for one would rather have a higher mileage car with no accident history than a damaged one with low mileage.

Yeah I appreciate what you are saying, yeah I can afford 7-8K, but to spend say £7.5k on a 60k milage 350z on 03 and import doesn't seen that good value considering this is a UK GT 54 with 17k miles with sat nav, parking sensors and everything.

Its your money .If its what you want go for it.

Make sure you get all the documents for repairs and give the car a good test drive.

Ask what it was cat d for,Should be quite minor and be specific when checking those areas of the car.

Good luck.

Hope its ok.

Its your money .If its what you want go for it.

Make sure you get all the documents for repairs and give the car a good test drive.

Ask what it was cat d for,Should be quite minor and be specific when checking those areas of the car.

Good luck.

Hope its ok.

Well he said it was just the door which was damaged, so I am guessing perhaps side impact of some form. Though he did have a few interesting stories of why he was selling it, first he was going on a long holiday and next his business is in trouble, which isnt great.

RAC etc will give it a good going over for you, but really its the chassis you need to get looked at to check for any cracks or warping.

Like the guy said its your money, could be a bargain :thumbs:

RAC etc will give it a good going over for you, but really its the chassis you need to get looked at to check for any cracks or warping.

Like the guy said its your money, could be a bargain :thumbs:

How much do RAC inspections usually cost?

A third party inspection by the RAC or similar is an absolute must in this case. To be honest for a Cat D on that plate I think you should go for 5 to 51/2 absolute tops.

Don't let your heart run away with you here. You don't want to get stuck with a turkey! Do your homework, be thorough and you'll be OK.

Yeah I appreciate what you are saying, yeah I can afford 7-8K, but to spend say £7.5k on a 60k milage 350z on 03 and import doesn't seen that good value considering this is a UK GT 54 with 17k miles with sat nav, parking sensors and everything.

Your logic is insane.

For £7.5k you can get a non accident damaged UK GT.

what difference does the low mileage make on a CAT D car? It's been smashed up! The sat nav is terrible and parking sensors can be sorted for a few quid so it has nothing actually worth anything. And to top it all, it's been resprayed :wacko:

A third party inspection by the RAC or similar is an absolute must in this case. To be honest for a Cat D on that plate I think you should go for 5 to 51/2 absolute tops.

Don't let your heart run away with you here. You don't want to get stuck with a turkey! Do your homework, be thorough and you'll be OK.

OK I will see what he is willing to go down to, its just he has already reduced it to 6300 from 7000, I will have a stab at pushing him down to 5 then.

Your logic is insane.

For £7.5k you can get a non accident damaged UK GT.

what difference does the low mileage make on a CAT D car? It's been smashed up! The sat nav is terrible and parking sensors can be sorted for a few quid so it has nothing actually worth anything. And to top it all, it's been resprayed :wacko:

Well I don't know much about these cars, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Well he said it was just the door which was damaged, so I am guessing perhaps side impact of some form. Though he did have a few interesting stories of why he was selling it, first he was going on a long holiday and next his business is in trouble, which isnt great.

I dont believe a word of this and neither should you in my opinion.

As I say, personally I wouldn't, and £6k is too much - just show him this ad and see if you think you are getting a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/56-NISSAN-350Z-CONVERTIBLE-DAMAGED-REPAIRABLE-SALVAGE-/170633862705?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27ba921e31

Plenty of good straight cars around which are down in the £7.5k mark - have a browse on the Zeds For Sale section on here to get an idea of prices.

As I say, personally I wouldn't, and £6k is too much - just show him this ad and see if you think you are getting a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/56-NISSAN-350Z-CONVERTIBLE-DAMAGED-REPAIRABLE-SALVAGE-/170633862705?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27ba921e31

Plenty of good straight cars around which are down in the £7.5k mark - have a browse on the Zeds For Sale section on here to get an idea of prices.

But that car needs a lot spending on it to get it fixed surely? I guess it will cost 1000-1500 to fix that car

I'm in the process of buying a Zed right now.

I personally wouldn't touch a Cat D, whether it be a Zed or any other car.

Most people wouldn't want to touch it, so when you do go to re-sell it will be very hard. Plus from what I hear, insurance on Cat D cars can be higher too.

If you do choose to get it, make sure you get the RAC inspection. They've quoted me £254 + £31 for a Essentials Plus and the £31 because it needs to go up on the hydraulic ramps and they do that at a local Kwik Fit.

So £285 for some peace of mind.

My 2 pence :)

I personally think that you should test the car out first before buying it and see the evidence of it being repaired ect.

To be honest CAT D tend to very light accidents and are by no means chassis or body damage. I know this as I have been through it. They tend to be more of panel damage, as well as broken arms.

If the car drives fine with no knocking and and no other problems, then you should take it.

Thats a good deal! :thumbs: