£230 increase on insurance if i go stainless...

bigmike20vt

are direct liine having a laugh? :(

To be fair they are giving me an excellent deal on my policy, the woman apologised but said they are not really mod friendly

luckily, I have not purchased it yet.....

So, I am after an exhaust which is the same spec as the original part so i do not have to tell insurance, but i still want it to have the nice chrome end of the tail pipe (or is that detachable and fits on the new exhaust?)

Ideally i do not want to pay nissan prices and would like something which will still sound nice.

car is a GT spec if that makes a difference.

what would you guys recommend?

I did consider playing dumb and just fitting one, however i guess i cant now i have phoned them, and besides, i would not want to be uninsured.

cheers

Either:

1) Pay what they're asking

2) Change insurers

3) Stay OEM

+1

Can't mess about with insurance. If you can't afford to do it and insure it. Don't do it or switch cars or switch insurance.

Simple as that. :thumbs:

I just got off the phone to admiral. The bloke onthe phoen told me providing it was not for "cosmetic" resons (i.e. it looked and sounded oem) and there was no performance gain it would effectivly be the same as oem and they would not class it as a "Modification" and so would affect my policy.

Ive been told different before :blackeye: but it may be worth having a chat with them and seeing if they will cover it and match your existing premium.

doh! i should have thought that was coming..... I will get on it :)

also, the car has only done 35k and is a late 05 so i intend to get it checked out to see if it can be welded.

cheers

Im sure that will be the cheapest option.

I'd go for that.... Would be great to stick a nice exhaust on. but then pointless as well.

I am going for OEM now. OEM all the way :lol:

I'm with Sainsbury & similar to above no extra charge as perceived no performance enhancment.

Previous owner had fitted a cobra which is way tooooo loud & attention drawing but was some 400 cheaper than Nissan standard replacement so they accepted this as a legitimate reason for fitting.

Surely when Joe Bloggs buys a new exhaust from Kwik Fit it won't be an oem exhaust, but it doesn't affect the insurance? Else anyone who buys discs or pads etc from Halfords would have to tell their insurance that they weren't using oem parts, and using a different oil to the one Nissan sticks in would class as a mod in that case?

As long as the new exhaust doesn't give a performance gain or make it more nickable surely they can't complain? I would have thought any steel exhaust would be fine? I had a stainless steel exhaust on a car I wrote off ages ago that wasn't standard and Direct Line didn't bat an eyelid (just said they wouldn't add any value to the car because of it).

Times have changed...

The insurance companies can and will use ANYTHING to get out of paying any out.

Even down to pads and discs.... (Sure there was a convo on them having to be to a certain standard somewhere)

Direct line absolutely took the pish with the renewal of our van insurance recently. We (my brother and I) only bought the thing so we had a decent practical vehicle for all those crap jobs you dont want to/cant use a normal car for. Its worth about £1500 and is a shed of a transit van, that does about 2000 miles a year, if that. Only have 2 years no claims on that car, and I cant use no claims from another on a multicar as they dont do multicar on "commercial" vehicles, even though its a glorified wheelbarrow and not used for commercial purposes what so ever.

Direct line wanted £827 for renewal, even dropping it to TP F&T, and upping the excess to £400 they still quoted £785! Managed to get £480 by shopping around.

Insurance companies as a whole are starting to take the pish now with prices. They know that people are aware prices are going up, there has been media hype about prices going up, and now they are playing on it, raising prices by stupid ammounts and watching a whole heap of people just think thats the "norm" after all they have heard in the media. One look at their P&L accounts and the story is completely different - they are having peoples pants down, and they damn well know it.

So far this year by shopping around enough, Ive paid less this year than last, maybe I was robbed last year though instead :shrug:

well I am sorted now....

It was the welding joint, and had pretty much cracked all the way around. Garage said they would weld if i wanted but would charge 2 hrs labour but that as it happened they recently fit a full stainless to a zed and had a spare exhast in VGC. cost me £192 for fitting of 2 new tyres and supply and fitment of the 2nd hand oem exhaust.

Not too bad, and my old one must have been getting steadily worse for a while..... i cant remember the last time my car sounded this good :drive1

As an aside however, he must earn way to much, i am in the wrong job. I had a look at his STUNNING red Nissan GTR...... I figure if he is good enough to work on that, then i can trust him with my 350Z ;) (although as his is under warranty it is currently having to go to nissan i believe)

christ i like those things.

Just tell them you have replaced with a stainless exhaust so it will last longer than a OEM one. If they ask about power gains tell them that the ECU will cancel out any gains by fitting a different exhaust. Enjoy your new exhaust!