Advice on 350Z required - imminent purchase!!!

Hello all,

I have just joined the site and am thinking, well very close to buying a 350Z. The one that I am looking at, and have been to see, is a 350Z Gt Roadster 05 convertible black. The seller is asking £9750 for it and claiming that a dealer has already guaranteed him this price but he would rather sell it to me for the same price as he gets a larger commission for a private sale.

It has 46,000 miles on the clock and looks to be in excellent condition - I am no car expert at all, but it ran smoothly, no rattling, the hood worked perfectly and apart from a stone chip on the passenger door, the body work was immaculate. It is also 100% HPI guaranteed and comes with three month warrantee (for what that is worth).

I have no real experience in this sort of thing but I have researched many 350Zs and this seems about the going rate. My only reservations are: the stone chip, the clutch (as I read somewhere that these can need replacing at 40,000 miles), the tyres (which are decent, but worn and will need replacing in the next 6 months or so) and the fact that this is all a bit of a rush and I have not had an RAC inspection. The seller told me that the brake pads need replacing and said that he would get this done as part of the deal.

Can anyone offer me advice? Is this a good deal? Am I being hasty? Harsh? Fussy? Help?

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum. A great choice of car.

The price seems fine to me. :)

The clutch issue is hard to call, mine was an ex demo and i am hard on the clutch anyway, I changed mine at 35k.

The traders on here keep the price of replacement parts down for us so dont worry too much.

Hiya mate and welcome!

Not sure on price as they have come down in price alot due to the petrol prices! Dont rush into it if you have doubts there is all the info you need here so just enter what you need to know into the search bar at the top and that should help! failing that im sure someone will be along soon with some rough prices on what you need! any links to advert or pics always helps :thumbs:

:welcome: How did the clutch feel? The clutch needs replacing when it needs replacing - if it still feels good then happy days.

If you've been given the dealer flannel about 'not being able to budge on the price' then march in there with a stack of cash and offer him 9k. The worst he can do is say no.

Make sure the servicing is all up to date too - it should of had its P3 fairly recently........that'll be expensive if its been missed. :thumbs:

Hi & :welcome: to the forum. Car & price seem very good you just need to do some negotiating to make it a sweet deal. If you cannot get anything off the price then make sure you can specify what make of brake pads you want. Also get them to do the stone chip on the door.

Haven't bought yet - going to call the seller this afternoon. I am going to propose the following based on the advice I have been given:

1 - Proper Nissan 350Z brake pads not cheapie imitations

2 - Sort out the stone chip

3 - Confirm that the service that just took place was the P3

4 - Ensure that the CD player works and does not skip (forgot to check on test drive DOH!)

5 - Attempt to negotiate prive based on cash offer, but if he agrees to all of the above, maybe I will pay the £9750...but don't want to!

6 - Find out exactly what the warranty actually covers

Does this sound like the right play everyone?

Oh, and thanks for all of the help so far!

Did you speak with the seller? You bought it?

Just a few comments really: Check everything works, electric windows, air con, etc - all the usual stuff you would check.

Check the service history, ensure the P3 has been done.

In the third picture on the link the exhaust looks slightly odd, not fitted properly - it could be the angle its been taken at but looks slightly wrong to me.

Anyway, if you do buy the car/have bought it, enjoy it.

Adam :thumbs:

In the third picture on the link the exhaust looks slightly odd, not fitted properly - it could be the angle its been taken at but looks slightly wrong to me.:

+1 didn't see the link before my first post. That zorst is pi**ed up - doesn't look stock either? Neither are necessarily a big deal (just take it to you local friendly garage to sort it).......if it is aftermarket you will need to declare it to the insurance.

Stock looks like this - note the length of the pipe compared to yours.

27602390006_large.jpg

This is longer and looks to be full stainless

$(KGrHqEOKpwE25TshUD3BNw99LGtQg~~_0.JPG

Hello all,

I have spoken to the seller, and he has agreed/said the following:

1 - He will sort out the stone chip, not repaint the whole door, but get it touched up/filled

2 - He will sort out the brake pads - Proper Nissan 350Z pads will be fitted

3 - He is not sure about the P3 inspection but said the previous inspection cost £200 - he will check today about the P3

4 - He guaranteed that the cd/stereo system works perfectly

5 - He would not budge an inch on price not matter what I said - Grrrrrr!

I am going to see the car again today and plan to put a deposit down although 'Ricey' (thanks for your help bud) has made me slightly nervous about the exhaust that has been fitted and how it has been fitted. It also made me question the sort of service the car previously had (two months ago) if they didn't sort out the brake pads??? Am I being paranoid?

This is a long shot, but, if there is a 350Z member out there who lives in the Reading (Sonning Common) area and is available and willing today to come and have a look with me at the car, man I would appreciate it, as I am really green about cars and I am one of those idiots who wants to believe that everyone tells the truth :teeth:

I am planning on heading up there after lunch - so if you are about and are able to help me out, let me know.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I am impressed, grateful and want to be a member of this 350Z family ;-)

Phil

Don't be too concerned about the exhaust Phil.

It's prob just a cheaper stainless one.....they can bit a bit tricky to hang straight. We're only mentioning it so you know.

I'd see it as a bonus personally and just have it tweaked so it hangs a bit straighter.

If it is aftermarket don't forget to declare it on the insurance.

Ok guys - I have put down the deposit and should be a proud 350Z owner by Thursday or Friday. I drove the car today and am now officially in love!

I was assured that the exhaust is a bona fide Nissan Exhaust, so hopefully all is well.

Thanks for all of your help and advice, it has really helped.

Phil