Insurance for Test pilots

sallieb2006

Hi,

You may not remember me, i joined when i got my 57 plate Pearl White princess (aka Zena), black gloss wheels etc. I myself and a couple of others were the first to get a White one.

Anyway few years later and i forgot my logon so have had to join again. Unfortunately i reached a point my life where my beloved needs to be sold (damn my broody other half), this is where being the female is a proper bummer. :thumbdown:

What i wanted to know was, would you be offended if i asked to see your insurance documents before allowing you to test drive my baby?? I'm concerned that i'll get a load of boy racers that don't know how to handle a Zed and if she gets damaged, it's on my head.

As anyone had experience of this before? Is there a standard practice in place? Other cars i've sold weren't quite as special as her so it has me a little concerned.

Cheers muchly

Sal

Sod anyone else's feelings, if they don't have insurance they don't get to drive it. Also, if they drive it and you don't ask for their insurance and they turn out not to be insured, that's 6 pts for you on your licence right there so another reason to ask and check.

Sod anyone else's feelings, if they don't have insurance they don't get to drive it. Also, if they drive it and you don't ask for their insurance and they turn out not to be insured, that's 6 pts for you on your licence right there so another reason to ask and check.

+1

It's your car, it's your responsibility to make sure the driver is insured. It's the test pilots responsibility to provide the proof of that insurance.

Make it clear in the ad that they will need to bring the insurance docs if they want to get behind the wheel.

too right! sod their feelings... you dont know them from Adam.

see proof of insurance, some sort of ID, driving licence... and if they buy the car and pay cash count every penny and make sure you put notes under a UV light. i dont care what they think.. if they have a prob then they may well be hiding something as i would expect all the above to apply to me if i was buying

Fab - just what i wanted to hear. It's the least i'd expect to provide if i was buying but wanted to check with some like minded individuals. I have a local company advertising it for me (albeit i think they have the price too high) and i made it clear to them that any test pilots needed to be insured. However was thinking of pulling off them and selling myself as to be honest their not doing too much really.

Breaking my heart to say bye to her. Had a lovely drive to Minehead at the weekend sob sob

Selling a car yourself is daunting but just use a bit of common sense ie even if they show insurance make sure you dont leave the keys in the ignition with the engine running when you change seats so they can test drive it etc! If anything it shows you are a careful and considerate driver and that should make your whole car sale more compelling to any potential buyer.

When people say proof of insurance though do you mean specific insurance (i.e. short term) for your car or just fully comprehensive insurance on their own car. I thought even if fully comp you drop to third party while driving another car and therefore any damage done to your car while test driving wouldn't be covered by their insurance would it?? :shrug:

lol i've swore that if we have kids then the moment they can talk, they go in his car!! Afterall i'm the petrol head out of the two of us and i have my eyes on my dads AC Cobra Replica too :)

Interesting point about the insurance - i thought that too. I'm not sure what i should be asking to see and where i would stand if they did prang her?

lol i've swore that if we have kids then the moment they can talk, they go in his car!! Afterall i'm the petrol head out of the two of us and i have my eyes on my dads AC Cobra Replica too :)

:cloud9: I would too! *drool*

Haha thank you Husky, you have just made the idea of having kids a lot more palatable. You succeeded where many have failed, i appauld you.

When that days comes, that shall be the mantra.................along with whatever else i can swear about hehe.

Seems just cause i've hit 30 everyone is suddenly asking for kids, but at least i had a darn good time in my twenties with my beloved 350.

Lol nice offer. I was offered my friends daughter at the weekend for my car, somehow my other half wasn't impressed with my attempts to sidestep pregnancy and labour.

I would ask dad but i couldn't bear to see Cobby go (plans to be my wedding car, that i drive away from trhe church of course).

(plans to be my wedding car, that i drive away from trhe church of course).

brilliant, i like it!

Haha thank you Husky, you have just made the idea of having kids a lot more palatable. You succeeded where many have failed, i appauld you.

:lol: I feel valued :yahoo:

Lol i wish i could but i also have horses and a nice shiny new boy that likes to go to horsey shows. Cue the Zed getting towed out arse backwards of fields and generally getting covered in hay, mud and horse sh!te.

Sad as it sounds i missed out riding for a fews years cause my horses were retired and last year when one passed away i got a younger one in and hence i'm riding and competing a lot more.

Add that to the kid thing (albeit i've said in the next few years), it just seems the right time to move on. Otherwise i'll end up trashing her or selling her at the last minute and resenting it.

Life is choices sometimes but i'm so glad that i had her. The best car i've ever owned for sure.

Just a couple of points to note here:

When people say proof of insurance though do you mean specific insurance (i.e. short term) for your car or just fully comprehensive insurance on their own car.

Having fully comprehensive cover does not mean you have the DOC extension (driving other cars). For example someone working in the motortrade generally doesn't get DOC cover. Someone with a restricted mileage policy may also not get DOC cover, someone with a classic car policy may not get DOC cover. If you are unsure, check your certificate of insurance or contact your insurance provider. DO NOT ASSUME YOU HAVE IT. I've seen for too many people pick up IN10's for falling into this trap.

DOC is given with most TPFT policies and some TPO (third party only) policies as well, it does not just come with Comp cover.

I thought even if fully comp you drop to third party while driving another car and therefore any damage done to your car while test driving wouldn't be covered by their insurance would it?? :shrug:

Correct, DOC cover will only cover third party damage, ie the car you are test driving is not covered.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

also make sure you have the name and addy of anyone driving your car. My neighbour recently advertised his car in the local paper (only an old fiesta) test driver took it down the road, got zapped by a mobile speed camera, returned the car and cleared off. 14 days later my neighbour has a summons and ends up with a fine and points.