CAPRI LASER 2L - HELP PLEASE

Vik54

Give me a clue here folks...

I have a 1985 Capri Laser (2L) sat in my Gran's garage that my Uncle gave to me. It has been on blocks since 1992 - approx 74k on the clock - last service was 1991 and that was the mileage then according to the book.

As my Uncle is an engineer and complete car nut it was well looked after - before he stored it it was undersealed and all fluids drained down.

It was always meant to be a project car for Gary but we don't have access to a garage in the village and simply can't be arsed with sorting transport etc for it.

Now part of my Gran's roof has fallen in - the capri is undamaged other than cracked windscreen.

I need it shifted. Her next door neighbor is offering £500 for it - looking at the Capris currently on PH, Ebay and autotrader - I don't think it should go for less than £1k as it stands.

Any advice appreciated and anyone in NEast area (Its in south shields) who might offer me a hand with this even more appreciated :teeth::thumbs:

thanks folks - don't worry it will not go for £500. I had to stop my Mum from paying a scrappy to come and collect it :headhurt:

If I thought I could find a local lock up I would get it up here but have been looking for one on and off for the last two years and there simply isn't anything unless you're already a council tenant then you can rent one.

Lexx thanks for that offer if I really need to shift it fast then I'll maybe take you up on it :thumbs:

Chris you have pm :)

Do you not have any friends or relatives up there who have a council house?

You could get them to rent one for you and you just pay them *shrugs*

Hadn't thought of that - but no - everyone I know well enough to ask for that sort of favour either owns or rents privately :shrug:

To be fair a Mk3 Capri that's been sat for 10 years (unless I've misunderstood how long it's been stored) in my opinion is worth a lot less that one that has been used daily, or regularly at least. Pretty much everything on it will deteriorated more than if it had been used. Bushes will have corroded, springs will sag, bearings will seize etc. and will all need replacing. The engine, diff, gearbox are all unknown and not being used for 10 years will not be healthy. Unless youv'e had the carpets up you don't know if 10 years worth of condensation has totally rotted the floors out.

Not trying to be pesimistic but unless you have plans to use it or save it very soon, you'd may as well get rid now while you can still sell it. Mk3s are still farly common and don't really fetch a great deal unless they're immaculate.

I personally hope you save it - I like 'Crapis' as my friends call them. But they're probably the least valuable 'classic' car on the market at the moment.

Any pictures to share? I think I have a driver side pattern wing somewhere if you ever need one and can collect you can have it - it's no good to me :)

To be fair a Mk3 Capri that's been sat for 10 years (unless I've misunderstood how long it's been stored) in my opinion is worth a lot less that one that has been used daily, or regularly at least. Pretty much everything on it will deteriorated more than if it had been used. Bushes will have corroded, springs will sag, bearings will seize etc. and will all need replacing. The engine, diff, gearbox are all unknown and not being used for 10 years will not be healthy. Unless youv'e had the carpets up you don't know if 10 years worth of condensation has totally rotted the floors out.

Not trying to be pesimistic but unless you have plans to use it or save it very soon, you'd may as well get rid now while you can still sell it. Mk3s are still farly common and don't really fetch a great deal unless they're immaculate.

I personally hope you save it - I like 'Crapis' as my friends call them. But they're probably the least valuable 'classic' car on the market at the moment.

Any pictures to share? I think I have a driver side pattern wing somewhere if you ever need one and can collect you can have it - it's no good to me :)

Everything is sound - everything was waxoiled and greased and car has been dry and under cover.

I doubt that it is just a matter of filling it with fuids and driving away I'm under no illusions about that but as the chassis stands and as a classic car it is certainly worth more than has been offered so far.

:lol: I've always called it the 'Crapi' too :lol:

Neil...who do you think I spoke to first? ;)

As the owner of a mint 2.8i Capri my advice from what you have said is take the money. You could try it on ebay and see what happens. There are always hundreds of people looking for fixer-upper but they mess you about and want to pay bugger-all. Get shut and run before he changes his mind.

You said you've looked on ebay, have you done a completed items search? Adverts for sale can be very misleading, PH in particular is often high priced as its free and people just speculate.

Not having a clue about classic cars I'd probably take the money, seems like a fair offer. I'm sure 5th gear did a feature on them and said they were worth around 2k in good condition - on the road. Or, list on capri websites as stated.

Id be tempted to take the cash for it personally from my experience. If the guys first offer is £500, then the chances are you can get him up a bit higher than that.

Cars which have been sat for a while like that usually end up costing quite a bit to get back on the road. If you have no plans to get it back on the road soon, then imagine what condition it will be like when you finally get around to it. Plus, factor in the cost of hiring a car transporter, shifting it and having somewhere to shift it to.... you soon end up spending loads on it.

If it was a really rare car then id say keep it.

Another alternative will be the old ebay. Millions of people on there, and things always fetch the market price which is what its worth at the end of the day.

If it was a 3.0 Litre Capri or last of the 2.8I's I would say save it. Otherwise tell him/her you will take the £650 and hopefully you will walk away with £600. A 'bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' the saying goes. :thumbs: