Engine problems......i think

karl922

Hi guys,

I have had this problem for a while now and its really getting on my nerves, ill try and give as best of a description as possible for you to identify it.

When driving around 1500 RPM, the revs seem to flicker and the car kangaroos slightly, so when i set off, i accelerate through the revs and as soon as it gets to about 1500 RPM it hesitates. It is more noticeable when setting off in first, but does happen when i am in any gear but just not as bad. Sometimes the jerk can be smoothed out if i go very very easy on right pedal around the 1500 RPM mark. Anywhere else on the rev range is fine, below it and above so to be honest i have not got a clue. It is just getting really frustrating pulling away from lights etc, It seems such a hard car to drive smoothly lately and is ruining the Zed experience.

When the Zed is cold on startup, for the first couple of minutes it does not have this jerking problem, possibly due to the extra revs on the warm up procedure.

My first thought was maybe flywheel? but to be honest im useless when it comes to technical bits and bobs.

Car has done 65k.

I noticed this jerk if I slowed and then applied a little gas at 1500rpm when I first got mine. I think 1500 rpm is a little low to be pressing the gas pedal, the engine does not seem to like it. Was your last car a deisel?

I would just pull away at 2000rpm. then there is still a further 5500rpm to play with. :D

I found mine was a bit jerky at these revs and that in traffic when in 1st or 2nd gear it would buck/jerk really badly when I let off the accelerator and the revs would not drop smoothly. I recently installed an engine torque damper and the problem is all but gone and the shift from 1st to second gear is also a lot easier and everything feels much more solid. I guess the gearbox and engine must have been twisting a round a lot on the mounts (only got 33k on the clock). On the minus side you get lots of vibrations through the cabin when pulling away with a damper, but well worth it IMHO for the increased drivability.

Guess you could have a look at the engine mounts as replacing them could also be a fix.

Yeah i have tried combating this by never going below 2k but sometimes i still get caught out, and when you pull away you need to go past 1500 rpm so it happens every time then. No last car was a mk3 mr2, i just like to save fuel being low in the revs lol.

Sounds normal to me mate. It took me ages to get used to pulling away smoothly and I still bunny hop occasionally. I don't think the Zed engine likes being under 2,000 revs!

I agree, i find in very slow queing traffic it doesnt like it at all, reminds me of an auto gear box (not quite as bad) but stop starting i wouldnt say are smooth.

I remember kangarooing down the road a while back for what seemed like ages (thank God no one was around) and I put it in 2nd gear and it was fine. Like others have said, sometimes hitting the accelerator to harshly in low revs can cause it. I have a slight moment on the way home from work today as I was going around a turn which is downhill and wasn't paying enough attention to realise I was still in first gear as I hit the throttle.

I too suffer from this

I personally dont like that the biting point is so high, always used to biting points being fairly low

I also think the esp kicks in, giving you that judder, i have noticed the only way i solve this is, esp off, or higher revs, but i hate sounding like a boy racer at the lights, and when you got a loud exhaust, 2000rpm sounds likeyou wanna race everything there, when in fact, you just wanna pull away smoothly

EDIT:- Oh and a lightened flywheel and paddle clutch dosent help from standstill, when it bites, its JAWS!

Its something I can live with though!

Unless any more tips how to solve this would be greatly appreciated, is there a way of changing the biting point???