Sat Nav UK car

coldel

Good grief...actually I quite like the car, just that it comes with this ancient sat nav - It must be possible to replace the centre console area and take it out I would have thought? Either that or I wonder if there is room enough between the screen and the panel for another modern sat nav unit to sit?

I do have a very good Garmin unit at the moment, so just wondering how best I could use it given this older larger one is in the cubby hole. Rather bizarre that post code mapping isnt on the standard unit.

Post code units are not as common as you think. Nissan introduced it on their 05 models? (someone will correct me if im wrong) but BMW only got the licenses to use post code sat nav a couple of years ago from what ive been told.

Like i said, OE nav isnt great but it does the job most the time.

Personally i dont find the sat nav that bad. Its been accurate on the routes ive been on. Only things which anoys me about it is that it doesnt have speed cameras unlike my tomtom and its not a touch screen - the little joystick makes it slower to input addresses etc. In addition, there seems zero support for it, so you are unlikely to be able to update the maps on it.

However, plus points, it has a nice big display, clear and easy to see when your driving. The OS on it is easy enough to use to set up your addresses and preferences. The female voice on it takes some getting used to, and she always sounds surprised that there is a roundabout coming up in 300 yards. lol. You can set things like your average speeds on different types of roads, and when you turn your headlamps on the unit auto switches to night mode.

Sure, you cant put in postcodes, which seems ridiculous in this day & age, but it takes streetnames and has all the ones ive needed recently.

Personally I think those with SatNav in the dash do look better than the big cubbie hole, but I dont think I would deliberately pay extra for one, and it certainly wouldnt be a make or break for me if i was considering purchasing a car without it. Most people these days have tomtoms as they are cheap as chips, so having a built in satnav isnt as crucial as it used to be. Saying that, the satnav cars do seem to fetch a premium.

Thing is the car I am looking at has this unit, and I would rather it didn't :lol: Certainly not buying the car for the sat nav and certainly will put the dealer in his place if he tried to leverage it as a selling point...

I think the point is, that this system cost £1600 as an option when new :scare:

Yes it's functional, but there are £50 portable units that are better than it now.....

Jesus.... who an earth would pay £1600 for it?! I get free sat nav on my orange mobile! But then again, if the sat nav cars hold their value better, a lot of people would be encouraged to pay that extra for it new. Bit like the GT pack etc...

were there many options availible when the 350z was launched. Mines a 350z with GT pack, Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Bluetooth, had the car care pack thingy done as well when bought.

What else was an option? Sorry to hijack. Sat nav comes under options ;) lol

were there many options availible when the 350z was launched. Mines a 350z with GT pack, Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Bluetooth, had the car care pack thingy done as well when bought.

Sat Nav was optional, so was GT pack (cruise control, bose stereo, heated leather electric seats). Alezan orange seats/trim was an additional option on top of the GT pack - likewise Frosty Blue was another colour seat/trim which was optional ontop. Rays wheels were also optional, but some late cars came with them.

I thought bluetooth came as standard with the Bose (GT pack) stereo on coupe`s but they didnt fit bluetooth to roadsters.

Sat Nav was optional, so was GT pack (cruise control, bose stereo, heated leather electric seats). Alezan orange seats/trim was an additional option on top of the GT pack - likewise Frosty Blue was another colour seat/trim which was optional ontop. Rays wheels were also optional, but some late cars came with them.

I thought bluetooth came as standard with the Bose (GT pack) stereo on coupe`s but they didnt fit bluetooth to roadsters.

Parking sensor were an option offered by the dealers themselves, not Nissan.

GT pack was £2k

RAYS were £1k until the MY06 cars

Blue tooth was only introduced on the MY06 cars, previous cars had a cradle that you had to slot your phone into and only worked with phones from around 2001 :wacko:

Sat nav was £1600 or so

Nismo wheels were £2k

Nismo Kit about £2400

Alezan was an option but I can't remember if it was a cost option.

:)

I was pretty miffed that they didn't change much from the 296bhp to the 313bhp versions. Yes it's old and archaic but at the same time I have found it to be one of the most accurate sat nav's out there.

The TMC function is a god send and has saved me on countless occassions travelling to and from inner London. Even when there's a pile up on the M40, it has quickly registered it and diverted. I know some sat nav have failed to warn me of such occassion and sometimes are overly cautious by redirecting you when there is nothing there in the first place!

I questioned the joystick also but think about it... the way the Z rides on British roads, imagine the frustration of having to tap in an address while trying to reign in your hands involuntary movements! I think the joystick is the perfect compromise. The OS makes it easier by only highlighting the letters available when you're entering an address so that does compensate for lack of post code entry. Most post code entry systems require you to enter the street anyway so again that defeats the purpose.

I'm looking forward to Cookbot's project.

I was pretty miffed that they didn't change much from the 296bhp to the 313bhp versions. Yes it's old and archaic but at the same time I have found it to be one of the most accurate sat nav's out there.

The TMC function is a god send and has saved me on countless occassions travelling to and from inner London. Even when there's a pile up on the M40, it has quickly registered it and diverted. I know some sat nav have failed to warn me of such occassion and sometimes are overly cautious by redirecting you when there is nothing there in the first place!

How did you get the TMC working? I have to admit I havent read the manual for the sat nav yet as its about an inch thick. Ive got the stereo tuned in to classic fm as I believe thats the station TMC is broadcast on. The satnav screen shows TMC on the map, in green. But, i was expecting accidents to show on the map or the road colour to change like on my tomtom traffic. ?