What are the 'best' tyres for my standard Alloys?

slimjim

Have you checked

http://www.blackcircles.com/

I normally use them and they've found the cheapest tyres/fitting. You can do some detective work to find the fitting centre - they don't give a name but they do give a postcode.

I bought some RE050's a year ago and they were £640 for the set IIRC - £175 each for the rears.

Cheers Leroy...

I was worried then... as I have all ready ordered them from my local place. But I checked and they are £10 a corner more on that website than I have paid ... WHEW! :teeth:

Thanks anyway bud :thumbs:

Thanks for all the help Dan....

No worries fella, I'm just glad that someone listened to me for a change and hasn't run off and either bought budget 452s or gone onto mixed tyres! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give us a review once you've got them on and they're settled in, I'd love to know what you think of them compared to the VUS.

Thanks for all the help Dan....

No worries fella, I'm just glad that someone listened to me for a change and hasn't run off and either bought budget 452s or gone onto mixed tyres! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give us a review once you've got them on and they're settled in, I'd love to know what you think of them compared to the VUS.

I can understand WHY they would run off and buy cheaper ones (NO idea why you would buy mixed though!)

I mean the jump from VUS to PS2 is a BIG one. If I hadn't of bought my brakes, I think I would have settled for the VUS.

Just gotta go an fetch them tomorrow now :yahoo:

See how BAD the drive to the tyre place is with my "mixed batch" that I have on the standard alloys...

There is a different tyre on each corner! :drive1

I find it hard to break traction on the falken fk452's even in the wet, but the ps2's are just worth it for the feel they give on turning in, overall confidence and feedback. No doubt they are a massive step up, even from the vreds, which weren't bad.

Don't think I'd use the falkens as track tyres but they're good enough for a daily. Less than the falken fk452s would be a death trap though imho.

T1-r's aren't budget.

On a £30K sports car, yes they are.

prove it then go price some up.

They are mid-range, in both price and performance. The OP asked for 'The Best Tyres'........not The Best Value....

Once you take Price out of the equation, there is no contest..........

T1-r's aren't budget.

Dan, you could'nt be more blunt :lol:

Sometimes you must ask yourself why bother :shrug: And then you remember the porker parked outside and all becomes really clear in your mind :thumbs:

T1-r's aren't budget.

Dan, you could'nt be more blunt :lol:

Sometimes you must ask yourself why bother :shrug: And then you remember the porker parked outside and all becomes really clear in your mind :thumbs:

Just wait till he has n2's on the front and are new but there is only n3's out :lol:

T1-r's aren't budget.

They are mid-range, in both price and performance. The OP asked for 'The Best Tyres'........not The Best Value....

Once you take Price out of the equation, there is no contest..........

Id have to agree with that, I think calling a T1R a budget tyre is harsh, but they arent a patch on an RE050 or PS2. You do tend to get what you pay for. :thumbs:

That said I dont really like Vrede's very much and would probably take FK452's over them - the loss of traction is more progressive on the 452 I found, although the Vrede is marginally better in the wet.

Can I have my cat back from inamongst your pigeons?? ;)

T1-r's aren't budget.

Why, is your Google broken then? Look, I'm sick and tired of having this same argument with you over and over again, it's getting very tiresome. I'm not actually referring to price at all, budget can also be used as a term of being not very good, and that's exactly what the T1-Rs are: Not very good. They have soft squidgy sidewalls that give a mushy ride, a compound that melts as soon as you get any heat into it and with 300bhp and 1.5tons you will get heat into it, and wet handling that is average at best. If you want to run them on your car then that's fine, but you might as well chuck another 500kg in there, detune the engine and swap the brakes for chocolate as you're basically hamstringing the car.

It's a sports car that enjoys being chucked around, so what's the point putting tyres on that are just going to dull the performance just to save a couple of hundred quid? Since your calculator appears to be broken I'll do the maths for you: It's the equivalent of £3.84 a week to go from the T1-Rs to the VUS. That's absolute peanuts, and if that is still a huge sum of money to you (or anyone else) then you've bought the wrong car. The Zed is a £30K car with £30K car running costs that should have quality parts put on it. If the only other tyres available were PS2s then there might actually be a case for not wanting to spend £1K on tyres for the car, but as there is a bloody fantastic option available in the VUS then there is no need to put rubbish crap on the wheels. None whatsoever.

They may not be utterly pikey brand like a Nankang, but they sure as hell don't belong on a decent sports car. Chuck 'em on a cheapy MX-5 where the weight and power aren't such an issue and they're perfectly acceptable.

Just wait till he has n2's on the front and are new but there is only n3's out :lol:

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here, I wouldn't mix different N-spec tyres front and rear. I've got a fair bit of life left in the RE050As I'm running but the rears will need doing long before the fronts, and when that happens I'll probably change all four to the PSS if they're available in N-spec by then. Again, a large cost, but one that I need to do to keep the performance of the car right. I could just chuck a load of crappy Toyos on there but then I'd be left with a car that has less grip, less composure and worse braking capability which might be acceptable on a family shed, but personally I don't think it is on a performance sports car.

Look, this really is going to be the last discussion I have with you on this because all you do is oppose my opinion without giving any reasons why, and not only is it frustrating for me to read it's probably boring to others now too. I'm not a professional, just an enthusiastic amateur and I don't expect to change the world but for every ten people who ignore all the good advice given not just by me, but by others on here with equal and greater experience than myself, there's the odd one who does make the jump and is genuinely grateful that people are prepared to share their knowledge: When you get them PMing you personally to say thanks it makes everything worthwhile and brings a smile to my face. If you want to make your car worse than it was than when it came out of the factory then that's fine, I genuinely couldn't care less any more. :thumbs:

/rant

rubbish crap on the wheels.

I think this is the problem. Your diatribes come across as "Im right, how dare you question me" rather than helpful advice from someone who is willing to listen to others.

T1-R's are not "Rubbish crap", hell, they were pretty much the tyre of choice for the SXOC (RWD, 300hp coupes) for most of the last 6 years - indeed they are whats on the front of my driftcar at the moment as I feel they are decent in the wet and arent bankbreakers.

You clearly know what you are talking about and Im sure your advice has proven invaluable to other people on loads of occasions, but there are other people out there who also have valid experience, and they dont deserve to be shouted down just for expressing an opinion.

+1. I think t1-r's are ok not my favorite tyre but they aren't budge as ekona said. Nankang or sunny are budget and yes people run them on 350s. As said they are the tyre of choice for alot of rwd cars ones which are faster than the 350. Someones 600bhp track car on here runs them but what does he know?

I'm not arguing that ps2's aren't good your view of all other tyres is completely inaccurate.

rubbish crap on the wheels.

I think this is the problem. Your diatribes come across as "Im right' date=' how dare you question me" rather than helpful advice from someone who is willing to listen to others.

T1-R's are not "Rubbish crap", hell, they were pretty much the tyre of choice for the SXOC (RWD, 300hp coupes) for most of the last 6 years - indeed they are whats on the front of my driftcar at the moment as I feel they are decent in the wet and arent bankbreakers.

You clearly know what you are talking about and Im sure your advice has proven invaluable to other people on loads of occasions, but there are other people out there who also have valid experience, and they dont deserve to be shouted down just for expressing an opinion.[/quote']