How my car is sounding these days....

Neilp

This is nismo r-tune intake, plenum spacer, decats, nismo y-pipe and scorpion mid and rear section

Cragus revving up-- cheers mate, i was filming lol

( I know i have a reg bulb out aswell, it fell out as i never pushed the led bulb in far enough :bangin: )

The vids dont demonstrate any depth in the sound which in reality is a little more than you think.

th_SANY0003.jpg

Me pullling away

th_SANY0015.jpg

I was going to say that's gota be about 59mph.

Sounds aggressive - the pull away will give the best sound for sure. As the road noise on the fly by, I mean drive by hampered the sound.

:thumbs:

I was going to say that's gota be about 59mph.

Sounds aggressive - the pull away will give the best sound for sure. As the road noise on the fly by, I mean drive by hampered the sound.

:thumbs:

Pull away vid and other vids now all in 1st post :thumbs:

It does sound really raspy in the vids, it doesnt sound as bad in reality but it does rasp.

The rasp is because of the decats and centre section being only 2.5" which coming for the 3" on the y-pipe it causes this.

It does sound really raspy in the vids, it doesnt sound as bad in reality but it does rasp.

The rasp is because of the decats and centre section being only 2.5" which coming for the 3" on the y-pipe it causes this.

true i guess the deep stuff is lost on the vids. Decats seem to make any exhaust rasp

true i guess the deep stuff is lost on the vids. Decats seem to make any exhaust rasp

yep its the price you pay for squeezing as much power out as you can.

It sound really good in person in proper track car style. Not to everyones taste but have had sooo many compliments and only a few bad. Personally I love it but if i could get a 2.75" centre section or 3" for the scorpion made up and make it of a thicker stainless steel then i think i would be a little happier with the sound.

Currently im thinking about selling the scorpion and going for a nismo if i can source a second hand one or try and get a deal on one imported. Will have to wait until the summer though as i have spend to many thousands in the last few months on the car. :lol::lol:

if your trying to ring the last bit of power out of everything; i wouldn't put the nismo exhaust on it or nismo y pipe or the nismo intakes, they all make minimal gains and in some cases loses. :blush: very expensive too, especially when there is better kit out their for either the same price or less.

if your trying to ring the last bit of power out of everything; i wouldn't put the nismo exhaust on it or nismo y pipe or the nismo intakes, they all make minimal gains and in some cases loses. :blush: very expensive too, especially when there is better kit out their for either the same price or less.

I know thats how if a deal comes up i will take it. I'm not really worrying about everybit of power so to speak but just doing a bit here and there to get a little extra. To be honest the nismo exhaust is an asthetic thing I love the look and sound of it. The scorpion is a great exhaust for the cash and never dissapointed me at all but i just want it that little bit deeper hence the centre section maybe getting altered to take a little resonance out of it and free up a little more flow.. The nismo r-tune intake thats on my car is a funny one, doesnt look the same as the aftermarket one and came with the car as ordered from factory with it. It never came with the revup airbox. The sound from it is worth losing a couple of bhp for over a panel filter tbh...

The next step is nitrous i reckon. Just trying to work out where i can fill bottles etc and whether british bottles will fit on an american system as the american bottles can get filled over here legally. :bangin:

Husky, I wouldn't blame the rasp on the decats. I still have oem back box, XYZ pipe and Japspeed Decats and there's no rasp!

Neil - the American bottles should get filled up over here without any problem. The issue is sourcing a local supplier. I have two options (both being dragster outfitters).

Wackyracers (don't use pressure fill and the bottle is frozen prior to re-fill)

Websters Race Engineering (use pressure fill, but takes 1hr to get there!)

The only issue you may face is fixing a british bottle to the american systems such as Nitrous Express, although don't hold me to that. Although is it wise to mix systems?

There are various discussions about who's systems are better, the brits or the americans. Both will point fingers to the opposing systems. Although since installing my system I've had no issues (apart from the controller - although still not sure if it was a fault with the controller or a wirring issue?)

Have you researched if NOS is for you?? There are rules with using the system.....

Wasso by law the amercian bottle won't get filled over here. I need to see if the boys up here will do them. The only reason i know this is because I done a qualification through work for handling and using pressurised gases.

Nitrous isn't my first option for extra power but supercharger and turbo isn't in the price band. So nitrous it is until I can afford to rb26dett convert ;):lol: I do like the fact that I can turn it on and off so I only need it every now and then.

What rules are there mate?

I'm thinking about buying pault's system running 75bhp injectors with progressive controller, bottle heater and machine gun purge kit. I'm still looking into it.

As for fitting a Uk bottle to the system; the only actual difference may be the bottle nozzle size possibly and as far as I'm aware there is adapters available.

What's your experience of it?

What rules are there?

Cheers

It sounds awesome Neil!!!

What's the noise reading at knock hill?

Mine got measured recently at cadwell 95db at 4500k revs ;)

cheers chris! Starting to sound how a track car should haha

Ive not had it measured, Its pretty damn loud though.

I think knockhill dont really bother about the noise tbh as the time attack cars are deafning and alexs' car is ridiculously loud :lol:

I think they say the limit is 95db.

Im pretty sure ill be around the same tbh.

Cheers

Wasso by law the amercian bottle won't get filled over here. I need to see if the boys up here will do them. The only reason i know this is because I done a qualification through work for handling and using pressurised gases.

Nitrous isn't my first option for extra power but supercharger and turbo isn't in the price band. So nitrous it is until I can afford to rb26dett convert ;):lol: I do like the fact that I can turn it on and off so I only need it every now and then.

What rules are there mate?

I'm thinking about buying pault's system running 75bhp injectors with progressive controller, bottle heater and machine gun purge kit. I'm still looking into it.

As for fitting a Uk bottle to the system; the only actual difference may be the bottle nozzle size possibly and as far as I'm aware there is adapters available.

What's your experience of it?

What rules are there?

Cheers

Paul's kit is to be honest a good price, considering the amount of tech included. If the original items were purchased from the states there'd be a fair amount of cost. I'm not totally aware of how the progressive controller works on the NX systems, although my controller was £450 alone. Bottles you're looking at £175 each!! Bottle heaters are around £150 purge kits are around the same mark. So if you add those kinda things to the stock system you're looking at £1,500+

In terms of what do I think of Nitrous, yeah it's good for it's purpose and cost. I'm restricted to a 75 shot myself as recommended by Abbey to go no further than 300tq at the wheels, due to the way Nitrous works. My controller initiates the NOS at 4k up to 6.9k I think it is. So in order to kick in you need to 85% throttle or more, and above 4k. This is all dependable of how you have it tuned. I did ask Mark if I could reduce the 4k down to say around 3k although it wasn't advisable and for the life of me cannot remember why.

The key window for Nitrous is around 750-950 psi. Optimal is 850-950. Anything higher than 1000+ psi or above and you have a risk of running lean as there's too much Nitrous for the engine to cope with. Achieving the correct PSI is driven by heating the bottles, too cold and there's no performance, too hot and you're risking a costly bill for engine repair. Issues with heating the bottle for me is that I don't have a heater, so it's off most of the time until the summer time, although something I am looking into. You have the benefit of the heater which will resolve PSI problems, although I've heard it can take anything from 10-30 mins to heat the bottles depending on the starting temperature.

In Paul's sale picture I can see some braded hoses, they can be re-used, although if damanged in anyway bin them and get new ones.

With a wet system, you'll be needing to drill into the Air Intake and the fuel system as NOS and Fuel is injected into the Air Intake (hence the name Wet). Dry systems do not use the Fuel in the Air Intake.

Oh - the super mega important part of NOS - the main rule..... if you are using NOS do not for any reason have your traction control activated. You WILL cause damage if the traction control is on and you create wheel spin, the traction control kicks in and reduces power to the wheels. In doing so if your NOS is running, i.e. 85% throttle and within the RPM window area the NOS will still be pumping into the engine. Result is less fuel more NOS - BOOM!!!

Jets - the Wizards kit uses small nozles (as advised from Mark @ Abbey) which are motorbike jets or something. You may need to purchase a varying range of jet sizes when the car is being tuned. I think I am running 75 NOS and 50 Fuel, Wizards jets are £12 a pair, so the solution to upgrade, mix and max, downgrade is fairly simple, although as your system is from America you'll need to resource these potentially with a bit more cost.

The size of your bottles is perfect, I run 10Ib (2 x 5Ib bottles) in the glove box ;) which lasts quite well. You're two 10Ib bottles will be sufficient for plenty of squirt. I pay around £45 for a re-fill which around 8Ib's worth of NOS as the bottles never really get empty.

I am aware that Websters Race Engineering fill American bottles, they are based near Santa Pod, although that's probably of no use to you being so far away. There is a company that provides a courier service, you send you're bottles to them and they return them full :teeth: There's a slightly higher premium to this, but it saves a lot of hassle.

I think I've covered all of the main factors..... Considering Paul's system is nicely priced you'll save some money in that area. Depending on how confident you are with installing the system yourself will save mega bucks!! Although tuning I would leave to the Pro's. So there's Dyno time and tuning time to take into account. I think I paid for 2 hours originally.

If you've got any other questions let me know. :thumbs:

Wow thanks alot mate! You pretty much covered everything! Can I run the two 10lb bottles at the same time? Or is it advisable to run them separately and just change them over.

How often do you use the nitrous and how long does it last ?

Also cheers onthe heads up on traction control, I never thought about that :scare::thumbs::lol:

Wow thanks alot mate! You pretty much covered everything! Can I run the two 10lb bottles at the same time? Or is it advisable to run them separately and just change them over.

How often do you use the nitrous and how long does it last ?

Also cheers onthe heads up on traction control, I never thought about that :scare::thumbs::lol:

Simple answer to both bottles running, potentially no. Your bottles will need to be turned on independantly, as your gauge/readout will provide you the PSI for the pressure being received, if you put both bottles on, you'll get a mixed/incorrect reading of true pressure. Not only that, you'll never have the need to have both on. If you have a bottle contents readout as well, this will help you gauge which bottle to activate. You will also notice a drop in bottle pressure the more NOS which is used out the bottle. Heating the bottle will help to use as much out of the bottle as possible to create the PSI required. For me I don't have that option, so once it drops down below 650 I normally deem that bottle used, hence I never have a full re-fill.

You mentioned changing the bottles over, I guess you only have one bottle bracket and one input to the NOS system. If that be the case, then yes a simple swap out is required. I have both my bottles in the glove box which are connected to a splitter. I can then turn on or off either bottle. I also don't have the option of remote bottle opener, and that's purely because Wizards don't trust them. Although I'd love to have one, but not sure I can mix and match with the American units as the bottle valves are completley different!!

(to note)

For safety I have with the Wizard bottle a pressure valve, if the bottle pressure increases beyond safe levels it will open and release excessive pressure. This doesn't happen very often as the bottles are hidden away in probably the coolest place in the car. So if you have the bottle(s) mounted in the boot of the car, I'd suggest putting them in the Spare Wheel area, although not sure a 10Ib bottle will fit. Just be careful with the rear hatch and sunlight. Don't leave the bottle exposed to very high temp's such as direct sunlight in the scorching sun otherwise the car might have a big hole in the boot from a bottle ejecting a 200mph!!

Oh yes another tip.... when you first install the system start with the lowest jet size (25). Test and run the car say for a week or so and make sure the car is settled, no sporadic jumping, issues or anything that maybe untoward. Then step up to the 50 shot and so on to the 75 shot. This was a recommendation of Abbey and Wizards to make sure the car is perfectly tuned before heading towards the 75 shot mark. Talking about all of this is so tempting to move up to the 100 shot, but know Mark would go bonkers at the risk of doing so.

How often do you use the Nitrous and how long does it last. How long does your fuel last - this is exactly the same question. It all depends on how happy you are with pressing the go pedal. I know that doesn't help and a lot of people say that squirting doesn't last very long at all. For an indication I used it at the Nurburgring on the 75 shot. I managed 3 laps on 3/4 of a bottle (5Ib bottle). Okay so I may not have been doing 85% throttle all the time, but the straight sections and pulling out of corners were a massive benefit. If you are using the 25 shot, the juice will last 3 times longer, put 100 shot in and it doesn't last as long.

To put it another way, a 1/4 mile run at Santa Pod (I've not tested this but would pressume) you'd get probably 30+ runs from a 10Ib bottle.

How often do I use it. All depends on what the purpose is for. If you fancy drag racing the Zed at Santa Pod, or blasting an M3 from the lights it's totally up to personal prefference. Last summer I used it on the Ring as mentioned and found it very handy. The odd motorway blast, or if you just want to show off etc? Oh bear in mind that if you fancy showing off with the purge kit, you are actually using NOS - so don't be using it for screen wash!! You'll have no NOS left and look a bit daft at the end of it.

Oh I've just thought of another important note - do not use the NOS in 6th gear!!!!!!!!! The amount of Torque generated will melt a few important engine components. I've used it in 5th gear with no problems and it pulls nice.

Any further questions let me know.... :thumbs: