More bad insurance news!

nixy

Sorry if this is a repost - heard on the news yesterday that you are now going to have to get insurance for every car you own regardless of whether it's on the road or not. So i'm assuming that even if you have a car for track only, or some sort of project, or you have something SORN and tucked away - you will STILL be getting your eyes taken out by the insurance companies! Anyone else hear this and is it correct? :thumbdown:

The way i heard it was that if the car is SORN'd and off the road then you will not need to have insurance for it.

+1

BUT this is also a problem. As all the pikie will do is declare their car as SORN. No one will come around to check, only ANPR will catch you, but thats the same as at the moment, only ANPR will catch you for having no insurance. Its just moving the problem, not solving it.

They need to go around the streets and take all cars that are driving but have had no insurance or tax for more than a month and crush em :boxing:

The way i heard it was that if the car is SORN'd and off the road then you will not need to have insurance for it.

+1

BUT this is also a problem. As all the pikie will do is declare their car as SORN. No one will come around to check, only ANPR will catch you, but thats the same as at the moment, only ANPR will catch you for having no insurance. Its just moving the problem, not solving it.

They need to go around the streets and take all cars that are driving but have had no insurance or tax for more than a month and crush em :boxing:

I agree Chris - not having insurance is no biggie to the people they are aiming this at as they usually don't have tax, mot or the car in their name anyway!

My problem as i said on the other thread about this ( :repost: Nixy...!) is that what about people with track cars? I am looking to get a second car for drifting, which is worth bugger all, and i only insure it on the days i want to drive it, for taking it to and from the track (for £20 a day). So what was costing me £100 a year would now cost about £400 a year. :thumbdown:

The only people this new legislation will affect are the people who presently abide by the law anyway. It simply by its very design will have ZERO effect on those currently flouting the law anyway.

It beggars beleif that the people behind such decisions cannot actually see how their ideas will work in practice.

Law abiding person:

Has two cars.

One is used every day, it is taxed, and insured. New laws - No change, No problem.

One is not used every day, its taxed but not insured as they are not wanting to drive it through the winter, they dont want to Sorn it and go through the process of getting a couple of months tax back, then re tax it when they want to use it (which may be at a higher rate with the tax increases based on emissions etc).

All they want to do is leave it in the garage and as soon as the weather gets better, call up the insurance, get it insured and go out for a drive.

New laws means they have to sorn it or keep the insurance in play while its sat there in the garage. Depending on the value of the car this may not be worth it. So they are penalised with extra costs.

Pikey non law abiding person:

Car is already on sorn and being driven on the road. New laws - No change, pikey is still driving on the road paying no tax and no insurance.

or

Car is currently taxed and insured, renewal for insurance comes round and its expensive. Car is sorned, insurance cancelled, and pikey still uses car - see above. New laws, no change, pikey pays nothing.

These new laws do not change anything for those who already flout the law.

What they should do with ALL uninsured and/or untaxed vehicles found on the public highway is confiscate them on the spot and make the fines for returning them over £1000, payable within 1 week or the vehicle is crushed. No ifs, no buts.

At present all pikey needs to do is cough up the £100, show that the car is taxed (6 months will do) and insured - take out a monthly policy. A couple of hundred quid gets the car back.

Get home - cancel insurance, declare car sorn and get money for tax back. Out of pocket just the £100 for the return of the car and we are back to square one. Then we develop new legislation that targets nobody but the people who are already abiding by the law. Simply brilliant. Exactly how many amoeba need to be swimming around inside a persons head before they can qualify to be part of a government think tank coming up with these ideas?

I agree with the whole thing about stopping uninsured drivers but if it applies to SORN vehicles as well that's just bonkers.

I agree!!! :D The more uninsured 'Pricks' on our roads the likelihood is that our premiums may come down a tad! :thumbs:

The only people this new legislation will affect are the people who presently abide by the law anyway. It simply by its very design will have ZERO effect on those currently flouting the law anyway.

It beggars beleif that the people behind such decisions cannot actually see how their ideas will work in practice.

Law abiding person:

Has two cars.

One is used every day, it is taxed, and insured. New laws - No change, No problem.

One is not used every day, its taxed but not insured as they are not wanting to drive it through the winter, they dont want to Sorn it and go through the process of getting a couple of months tax back, then re tax it when they want to use it (which may be at a higher rate with the tax increases based on emissions etc).

All they want to do is leave it in the garage and as soon as the weather gets better, call up the insurance, get it insured and go out for a drive.

New laws means they have to sorn it or keep the insurance in play while its sat there in the garage. Depending on the value of the car this may not be worth it. So they are penalised with extra costs.

Pikey non law abiding person:

Car is already on sorn and being driven on the road. New laws - No change, pikey is still driving on the road paying no tax and no insurance.

or

Car is currently taxed and insured, renewal for insurance comes round and its expensive. Car is sorned, insurance cancelled, and pikey still uses car - see above. New laws, no change, pikey pays nothing.

These new laws do not change anything for those who already flout the law.

What they should do with ALL uninsured and/or untaxed vehicles found on the public highway is confiscate them on the spot and make the fines for returning them over £1000, payable within 1 week or the vehicle is crushed. No ifs, no buts.

At present all pikey needs to do is cough up the £100, show that the car is taxed (6 months will do) and insured - take out a monthly policy. A couple of hundred quid gets the car back.

Get home - cancel insurance, declare car sorn and get money for tax back. Out of pocket just the £100 for the return of the car and we are back to square one. Then we develop new legislation that targets nobody but the people who are already abiding by the law. Simply brilliant. Exactly how many amoeba need to be swimming around inside a persons head before they can qualify to be part of a government think tank coming up with these ideas?

Chris for PM... this is spot on.

I agree with the whole thing about stopping uninsured drivers but if it applies to SORN vehicles as well that's just bonkers.

I agree!!! :D The more uninsured 'Pricks' on our roads the likelihood is that our premiums may come down a tad! :thumbs:

Dream on......

Womens insurance is going up due to a "sexist" loophole.

Insurance as a whole is just going up and up.

Just had a quote for my wifes beetle. £259.89 if I buy direct from Sheilas Wheels, £209.34 if I buy from Sheilas Wheels via confused.com.

They wont even match their own internet price when i called them to ask why a renewal is more expensive. How mad is that? :doh:

Dream on......

Womens insurance is going up due to a "sexist" loophole.

Insurance as a whole is just going up and up.

Just had a quote for my wifes beetle. £259.89 if I buy direct from Sheilas Wheels, £209.34 if I buy from Sheilas Wheels via confused.com.

They wont even match their own internet price when i called them to ask why a renewal is more expensive. How mad is that? :doh:

How mad is that!!! When you consider "confused.com" must be making a margin as well and therefore "Sheila's Wheels" will pocket even less of the final premium!!! :headhurt: