company car dilemma, any advice would be great.

sparky370z

basically my firm are about to give me a company car. i already have a van but now im more technical i dont need a big vehicle any more.

i will be offered 275-300 a month for this car and everything will be paid for by the firm. eg, tyres, servicing, tax ect.....

i can pay extra on top if i like and get what ever car i want, as long as its fit for purpose and not a gas guzzler (zed out of the window). i already pay 320 a month for my zed so could have a fair amount to spend. plus i wont have to tax it and insure it ect.

my dilemma is... :wacko:

a) do i keep the zed and buy a car for sub 9 grand over 3 years

B) sell the zed and combine the money. and get a better all round car. like a audi a4 s-line or a BMW ect..

i really dont want to sell the zed but if needs must then hey.. :thumbdown:

any other advice on company cars would be great as well.

What mileage do you do for the company ?

What do you have to carry for the company ?

What type of 'practical' car is the mrs thinking of ?

Think these three through for the 'company' car and then the zed is for yours and the mrs pleasure.

If you can afford the zed now and they are giving you money for the additional car.

Nothing has changed , apart from the additional parking required.

Caroline used to have a really nice MR2 Turbo...then she was offered a company car, she chose an Audi TT and sold the MR2. 18 months down the line, she'd spent the money she got for her MR2 and was made redundant...no car, no money :shrug: had to start again with a Daewoo Lanos :blush:

Pete

well to be honest. i dont think i have much worry about being made redundant. but yeah i know what you mean. :thumbs:

over the 3 years i have owned my van i have done 35k. but i expect to do a little more than that.

i really only have to carry a very small amount of gear. perhaps large box that would fit in the boot.

practical, ie 4/5 seats and not too juicy.

i would get a company fuel card so that would make the car (probably) a diesel.

i am thinking that the zed costs circ 400 quid a month for me to keep, (that doesnt include fuel) so i could in theory have around 600 to spend on a car. and not have to worry about if it goes wrong.

plus the car is mine at the end of the 3 years and my company have paid for it.

• 1 month later...

Make the decision with your head and you'll end up with the beemer and lets face it for the next few years cutting back isn't the worst plan.

I'll still wave hello (from the window of my Z as I'm sleeping in it outside the dole office) even when the small children and animals shun you and noone has let you out of a junction for a week.

You will, of course, still be dead on the inside.

Advantages and disadvantages

:)

My honest opinion? For me three years is a long haul in a car I don't love and the car I drive is a huge part of what makes me happy. I'd rather be happy than right - sadly I'm usually neither.

Tough decision really. £300 isnt much for a company car allowance. Last one I had was £600 a month and had the choice for either them to get the car for me, or me just have the allowance and do with it what i wanted. I tried it both ways. Firstly had a brand new lease car for 12 months which the allowance basically paid for. Then, I decided to buy an older golf tdi instead, use that for my business use and pocket the £600 a month. The car cost me about £5k at the time, so was paid for with just 8 or 9 months allowance, which meant the rest of the cash was just "profit" really.

For me it was a toss up between how badly I wanted a "new" car, and how badly id prefer to just have the cash and run my own car.

Really what you could do is get the cash and use that to pay for your ZED. If you find the zed is costing you too much, you can always then sell it and get something more "practical". Dont forget the company will be paying for your fuel, so you wont have to worry too much about that, it will be the other zed running costs like the road tax and tyres etc.

£330 a month to run a car............................. :dry: They could do a lot better, even with paying for fuel etc. REally needs to be over £500 a month to be worth while.

If it was me I would keep the van and have your Zed for the weekends. :thumbs: