URGENT HELP NEEDED - Jump starting my Zed

James B

I've been a t$£t and left the internal light on in my Zed and flattened the battery. Need to go our shortly so..............

Where's the best place to buy jump leads from?

More importantly, I've never done it before so have no idea how to jump start a car. How do I do it (ive got a UKGT 53 plate)? Things I need to avoid doing to electrocute myself?

All input welcome.

Unless the battery is totally flat and you can get someone to give you a bit of a push there's no need to buy jump leads. Just put the ignition on put the car into 1st/2nd gear kepping the clutch down then when at a moderate speed raise the cluth which in turn will turn over the engine and away you go.

1. Buy good leads.

2. Always Connect the neg terminal first.

3. Connect the positive lead on the dead car first. Then on the donor car.

4. Put the dead car into ignition for a little bit, then start her up.

Make sure you buy leads that are for 3L and above.

Should be sorted!! :thumbs:

Good advice - speaking from actual experience there :thumbs:;):lol:

1. Buy good leads.

Good advice - speaking from actual experience there :thumbs:;):lol:

Yeah :yahoo:;):lol:

Unless the battery is totally flat and you can get someone to give you a bit of a push there's no need to buy jump leads. Just put the ignition on put the car into 1st/2nd gear kepping the clutch down then when at a moderate speed raise the cluth which in turn will turn over the engine and away you go.

Never jump start your Zed or any other car with a cat converter (which is most cars now) as you will wreck the Cat :surrender:

From experience, even when you have started your car, unless you are going on a long journey, put it on a trickle charge overnight :thumbs:

Never jump start your Zed or any other car with a cat converter (which is most cars now) as you will wreck the Cat :surrender:

From experience, even when you have started your car, unless you are going on a long journey, put it on a trickle charge overnight :thumbs:

please tell why very interested, never heard this before.

When you jump start a car, a certain amount of unused fuel will go through the system and through to the Cat, covering the inside of it. When the car fires, hot fumes will go though to the Cat and ignite the unused fuel in the it. Your Cat is then wrecked :surrender:

Thanks you learn something every day. James B ignore my stupid advice :blush:

Your advice was not stupid. Jump starting an older car without a Cat is fine :thumbs: You just need to make sure that no Cat is fitted. (Tried looking for a cat smiley could not find one.lol!)

Thanks for all the help guys. As usual the forum community is fantastic!

Just to update...... for now I've decided to do nothing. I'm hung over to death so am going to curl up on the sofa and cry! :lol:

If you can try and do a trickle charge. For some reason newer batteries never fully recover after going dead flat. A trickle charge may, fingers crossed, bring it back to life. :thumbs:

1. Buy good leads.

Negative first?!?

I was always taught red dead, red good, black good, black dead (to the engine/chassis not to the actual battery terminal as that can cause sparks, not good around a charging battery full of acid).

When you jump start a car, a certain amount of unused fuel will go through the system and through to the Cat, covering the inside of it. When the car fires, hot fumes will go though to the Cat and ignite the unused fuel in the it. Your Cat is then wrecked :surrender:

Not saying this is not right but i must of jumped 50 motors with cats & never had a problem , aa & rac jump hundreds a day , i would alls try & charge the battery rather than jump , jumps ok imo in a last resort , as said before by others neg to neg then live to flat live.

Not saying this is not right but i must of jumped 50 motors with cats & never had a problem , aa & rac jump hundreds a day , i would alls try & charge the battery rather than jump , jumps ok imo in a last resort , as said before by others neg to neg then live to flat live.

Where's this negative first thing come from? Everywhere I look agrees with what I thought, start with red dead:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/br ... leads.html

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Jump-Start-a-Car

http://www.carbasics.co.uk/how_to_jump_start.htm

http://autorepair.about.com/od/roadside ... bles_2.htm