Dipstick jumped out. Oil everywhere. Help

chrisgunton

I'm a complete dipstick and didnt push the dipstick back in fully when I check the oil yesterday. :doh:

Just had a quick thrash and it's spewed oil everywhere, getting the bay and interior full of smoke *cough*.

Thankfully it did this as I was coming down my road, so it's safely on the drive dripping oil onto cardboard sheets.

Suggestions? I don't want to make anything worse....or set the whole car alight!

Oh no!

I'd suggest something like Gunk if you have a local Halfords or if you want something that I'd use I would suggest something like Espuma G202 but you'd have to wait for the post (dont know if you use the car daily or not)

Either way warm the engine a bit, soak with the product, agitate with brushes and Pressure wash off. If fully clean run up to fully warm to dry off the moisture, if not fully clean repeat as necessary.

Cheers

Tim

Ok, just had a proper look around.

There is only a tiny bit of oil above the dipstick hole. The rest is all down the manifold and exhaust. I cant see a way of brushing and washing anything down there.

Will it be ok to get it warm/hot and let it burn itself off on it's own? It only happened less than a min before I got home, so it's not as bad as I first thought....which is good....I guess :shrug:

I'm a complete dipstick and didnt push the dipstick back in fully when I check the oil yesterday. :doh:

Just had a quick thrash and it's spewed oil everywhere, getting the bay and interior full of smoke *cough*.

Thankfully it did this as I was coming down my road, so it's safely on the drive dripping oil onto cardboard sheets.

Suggestions? I don't want to make anything worse....or set the whole car alight!

Don't worry fella, I did an oil change before heading back to uni a few years ago. Got about 60 miles away and I was dying for the toilet so nipped off at a service station. When I got out this old couple came up to me saying I had a lot of smoke coming from the back of my car. I thought they were pulling my leg until I walked round the car and saw black stuff dribbling out between the bonnet and bumper. Opened the bonnet and literally everything was covered in oil. I left the oil cap off. 60 miles without an oil cap was not advisable, plus I had to call the AA sounding like a complete idiot.