Squires turbo system

GT4 Zed

I love the idea of mid mounted turbos/rear mounted turbos but are they really practical in the UK? even if you dont have the air feeds under the car surely having hot turbos and going through a puddle would have some effect? I didnt think that they would be undertrayed as they must get silly hot.

I love the idea of mid mounted turbos/rear mounted turbos but are they really practical in the UK? even if you dont have the air feeds under the car surely having hot turbos and going through a puddle would have some effect? I didnt think that they would be undertrayed as they must get silly hot.

The turbo itself will more than likely run cooler as it's further from the engine. The biggest issue with them is the horrendous amount of lag you add to the system, and having felt the difference removing just 500mm from the intake system makes on a turbo, that's not a particularly appealing thought.

Each to their own though, if you want easy straight line power then go for OT, although I can't see it being much cheaper to give reliable power than a standard system.

Turbos will run cooler but let's say your giving it some and they are hot and it's starts to rain and you drive though an unavoidable puddle?

As for lag, it would have more but not loads, the guys in the states rub them and they say and show there isn't much lag.

The turbo itself will more than likely run cooler as it's further from the engine. The biggest issue with them is the horrendous amount of lag you add to the system, and having felt the difference removing just 500mm from the intake system makes on a turbo, that's not a particularly appealing thought.

Each to their own though, if you want easy straight line power then go for OT, although I can't see it being much cheaper to give reliable power than a standard system.

Turbos will run cooler but let's say your giving it some and they are hot and it's starts to rain and you drive though an unavoidable puddle?

As for lag, it would have more but not loads, the guys in the states rub them and they say and show there isn't much lag.

There will be a considerable amount more lag, trust me. Great for a straight line, not so good for the twisties.

Just fit some kind of splash guard around the turbo and you'll be fine if you're that worried about it. Cats run just as hot as a turbo and there's no issue with them getting splashed, much like the rest of the exhaust system.

As Ekona says, reduce the intake length to a turbo mounted inches away from the engine and you will see alot better response. Add a turbo thats rear mounted with intercooler piping thats long as hell and you are going to get massive lag. Fair enough its a 3.5 litre engine so it could still spool a smallish turbo pretty fast that length away, but as I said in that video, listen to when the turbo starts spooling and when it hits full boost. Its not till wayy up in the rev range.

I can't imagine it makes for a nice drive unless your WOT everywhere, as it will remove the effortless driving of the vq