Grounding kits

Jez @ H-Dev

I've been reading about grounding kits and their effect on engine smoothness and driveability and to be honest I was a little skeptical. At the moment we're in the process of rewiring a car and had some spare high quality multistrand flexible copper cable and copper connectors. I made up a 4 cable grounding kit and recorded our findings.

To judge whether the grounding kit would make any difference we chose to measure the signal from the air flow meter at the ECU (in the passenger footwell) and also the noise present at the throttle body, with the engine idling. I've got a laptop based osciloscope that we used to record the signals.

First we took some measurements of the air flow meter signal at the ECU and voltage at the throttle body without the additional grounds. Results below. We then added 4 grounding cables - 2 cables from the battery ground body connection to the inlet plenum and the front of the engine at the same point as a loom earth. And 2 cables from the left hand side of the engine to the body. Pictures below.

We were really surprised to see that the additional grounds did reduce the noise at the AFM and throttle body quite a bit. Also, I've driven the car and it does seem smoother when coming on and off the throttle in the lower gears.

Because the results are better than we expected, we will be offering these kits for sales in the near future. Hopefully others can benefit from a smoother engine.

I've highlighted the points we used for grounding with red circles as they don't show up that well otherwise.

Obviously this isn't a 100% scientific test, but at least it shows a significant change in signal noise.

laptop%20in%20car.jpg

laptop%20throttle%20body%20test.jpg

front%20left%20cable.jpg

rear%20left%20cable.jpg

no%20grounding%20kit%20afm%20noise.jpg

with%20grounding%20kit%20afm%20less%20noise.jpg

no%20grounding%20kit%20noise%20at%20throttle%20body.jpg

with%20grounding%20kit%20noise%20at%20throttle%20body.jpg

Good work Jez. I noticed fitting a kit to my old MY03 Zed that it did make a noticable difference when pulling away and idling, but no real difference other than that.

We did notice a few years back that some cars had good grounding and some were pants. Its pot luck what you get. Some see no difference from grounding kits and some see good differences. You just dont know til you fit one ;) Nice to see some science applied to it though, when I got mine it was a case of just listening to the car and seeing what happened on the butt dyno. Good to see it proved that when it does work, it makes a measurable difference.

As you say, you'll obviously see a bigger improvement if the original earths are in poor shape. On this car they weren't that bad as we've just put a new (standard) engine in it, so freshly fitted.

I was surprised to see any difference at all - often this sort of thing is just a placebo effect.

That's good to see, and well done for actually testing it. :thumbs: I fitted one to my old TT6 Supra and it did feel a bit smoother.

I never done anything as in depth as putting a scope on it, but I did measure the resistance from battery ground to different areas of the car before and after. On average I saw a 0.15 Ohm drop in resistance with the kit fitted. So I figured it must do something.

Maybe I'll get round to fitting one to the zed, I've had one sitting in the garage since I bought the car. :blush:

I had an MR2 turbo where the grounding cable from engine to chassis failed, when the AA man came round and tried to start my car constantly for 5 minutes he cleverly burnt my throttle cable as that was the next best route to ground! I guess problems like this would be avoided using multiple grounding cables so another benefit. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...