With A Little Help from my Friends

Dicky

Hi all

Considering spending a bit of dosh improving the performance of my 2004 car prior to having it tuned. Been reading some of the performance posts especially the “Best Tuning Mods†list from Abbey Motorsports. Problem is I don’t know what some of the terms mean so could do with a little help if you have the time. :wacko:

1 What is a DE car (Abby refer to a DE 276 bhp car)

2 What is a REVUP car (are these cars that have had the Up Rev tuning done) (Abby refer to a REVUP 296bhp air box)

3 What are De cats

4 What are resonated cats

5 What is a Revup lower collector

6 What is an HR motor

Cheers in anticipation, Dicky :thumbs:

PS There may be a few more later if you can bear it :thumbdown:

VERY roughly -

1 What is a DE car (Abby refer to a DE 276 bhp car) DE refers to the engine. You have a 2004 and therefore a DE. (VQ35DE)276 bhp 280PS engine was used until approx May 06

2 What is a REVUP car slightly altered/Upgraded engine from the one in your car fitted to the 2nd generation 350s. (VQ35DE)296 bhp 300PS engine was used in the GT4 05 then used from May 06

3 What are De cats Pipes that replace the Catalytic converters releasing more power (and noise)

4 What are resonated cats As above but with resonators fitted so they are less raspy

5 What is a Revup lower collectorNot sure with out looking but I assume a larger lower plenum that is fitted to the revup engine

6 What is an HR motorDifferent engine fitted to the latest 350's. VQ35HR)309 bhp 313PS engine 07 onward

1 What is a DE car (Abby refer to a DE 276 bhp car) There are 3 different types of engine used in the 350z. DE 276bhp (2003-2005), the 'Rev up' 296bhp (2006) and and the 313 bhp HR (2007+)

2 What is a REVUP car (are these cars that have had the Up Rev tuning done) (Abby refer to a REVUP 296bhp air box) Rev Up and Uprev are two different things. 'Rev up' refers to the middle of the 3 engines used in 350z's. Uprev is the software Abbey use to remap the ECU.

3 What are De cats These replace the standard catalytic converters and remove the cats allowing for a greater increase in power through tuning, although decats will not pass an MOT

4 What are resonated cats Resonated de-cats are the same as above but 'resonated' to reduce rasp and noise.

5 What is a Revup lower collector A product made by Motordyne that replaces the lower inlet manifold used to give a gain in mid-range torque. This is only needed in the 296 Revup engine.

6 What is an HR motor This stands for High Rev and is the used to describe the 313bhp engine

Does anyone know if resonated cats will pass an MOT?

As far as I can tell from by research they won’t pass mot emissions so I'm now looking at just doing the pleum spacer, 06 air box and already got the K&N high flow filter.

Can anyone advise, if I dont fit the de cats would it still be worthwhile fitting a Y pipe or just leave the existing oem exhaust. :wacko:

Dicky

You must have a cat to pass MOT emissions tests, but stock cats are fairly restrictive which is why a lot of people change them. As an alternative to the stock cats you can either swap them directly for high flow cats, or swap them for de-cats in which case you'd need to add a cat somewhere else (e.g: Motordyne XYZ y-pipe with racing cat)... or use decats and swap the cats back in each year at MOT time but this is a PITA.

I went for the Motordyne ART decats + XYZ pipe on Abbeys recommendation. :thumbs:

Does anyone know if resonated cats will pass an MOT?

As far as I can tell from by research they won’t pass mot emissions so I'm now looking at just doing the pleum spacer, 06 air box and already got the K&N high flow filter.

Can anyone advise, if I dont fit the de cats would it still be worthwhile fitting a Y pipe or just leave the existing oem exhaust. :wacko:

Dicky

If you want to pass an MOT then you can use high flow cats. Fitting a free flowing y pipe will also help with power after an ecu tune.

The best option would be to fit de-cats and a Motordyne Y pipe (called an XYZ pipe) which can have a single high flow cat fitted. This combination of having a single high flow cat situated further away from the headers gives better power gains after a tune. Abbey Motorsports are the guys to speak to on all of this. Hope that helps!

If you need an 06 airbox, I think Neilp has one of these going soon...... :thumbs:

Cheers Mr Cragus Ive pm'ed Neilp

No,you PM`d me :lol:

Ooops! what a tit I am :blush: . Never understood spulling u no. Watch out everyone I,m going to try again :p

Been doing a bit more research and hit my next confusion rung on the ladder to full understanding. Here it is - noticed a post about a MREV2 lower plenum mod. Is this mod better that the plenum spacer mod, can it be additional too the spacer mod or is it an either or option, if so which would you recommend. :wacko:

Been doing a bit more research and hit my next confusion rung on the ladder to full understanding. Here it is - noticed a post about a MREV2 lower plenum mod. Is this mod better that the plenum spacer mod, can it be additional too the spacer mod or is it an either or option, if so which would you recommend. :wacko:

The MREV2 is only needed if you have the 296 bhp 'rev up' engine and is used in conjunction with the plenum spacer. If you have the 276 bhp engine then all you need is the spacer.

The MREV2 is only needed if you have the 296 bhp 'rev up' engine and is used in conjunction with the plenum spacer. If you have the 276 bhp engine then all you need is the spacer.

Cheers young man, one more down, god knows how many more to achieve full understanding. You'll know when I do though cos I'll be asking for directions to RS Tuning :lol:

Cheers young man, one more down, god knows how many more to achieve full understanding. You'll know when I do though cos I'll be asking for directions to RS Tuning :lol:

No worries mate. Love the way you describe it like you're on the path to true enlightenment, makes it sound almost Buddhist like :lol::lol: