370z Three month report

vern

I'm always surprised how much more you find out about a car once you physically own it, regardless of how much time you spend in showrooms or looking at pictures or even on test drives. You need to drive, clean it and even walk back towards it from different angles in a car park etc to fully appreciate the finer or less finer details.

After chopping in my 350z (313GT) for a 370z back in November, I feel that I'm able to form a proper opinion about the new car, although everyone has their own take on these sort of things.

Looks:

Like the 350, I think the worst view is front on, especially with the fangs. All the other angles are improved upon and it looks great from the back and sides. (my wife followed me to work last week and said is looks a bit TVR T350 ish from the back). Looking down the car from the front, the chunky rear arches look great with the wider 19'' alloys.

Performance:

Noticable but not huge gains over the 313bhp model, although the power band feels more even. It's certainly less dramatic than the 350z, which with a mashed right pedal from 4000 revs felt and sounded a bit like the Millenium Falcon trying to make the jump to hyper space (sorry, Star Wars reference). The handling initially feels improved and if it stops snowing or raining for long enough, I may actually find out!

Interior:

Certainly its visually a big improvement over the 350z, although I never had a problem with the interior on the 350z, at least not in the last generation 313bhp version and there are actually a couple of controls in the 370z that in my opinion are worse than in the 350z. The seats also seem less comfortable than in the 350z, although I've read that they are the same design.

Dislikes:

Not many in truth. I had the tonneau cover in my old 350z and I think this helped a bit with noise from the rear wheels, which appears louder in the 370z.

The engine/exhaust is also a bit dull sounding and at times doesn't even sound like a V6. A tuned exhaust that changes the sound charactistics at around 4000 revs would help.

No space saver......I'm not convinced that the tyre glue and compressor is going to get me of of the s**t on a cold January night in the middle of Northamptonshire!

The visibility also seems a bit worse in the 370z, espcially when you are trying to back out of a space and need to see towards the side/rear of the car. Probably best to use 'the force' instead! (sorry, another Star Wars reference)

Overall:

Very good really. It gets a lot of attention (especially in yellow!), which is partly down to the fact that there are not too many around yet. People in the know were aware of how good the 350z was, but the 370z seems to attact people's attention purely on the way it looks, which can't be bad!

I'm not sure how well it will do in the current climate, with petrol prices so high and the economy still struggling, but I think that in terms of a sports car, the 370z has moved up another from the 350z.

It's not a Cayman S beater (at least not on the track) but it's probalby around 15k less that a similarly specced Porche.

8/10 for Nissan. Make it sound a bit more exciting and I may stretch to a 9

Thanks for taking the time to post. If you don't mind me asking did you manage to get any price reduction on the 370z? They don't seem to be selling anywhere near as well as the 350Z did.

You have to remember when the 350z was selling well, credit was easy to get, everyone was on a spending high, including the economy. I think if Nissan new what the state of the work economy would be now when they put the 370z into design, they wouldnt have bothered :surrender:

Good to hear someone else who is enjoying a step up from the 350z. IMO, when you get some good weather to give it a good ragging you will clearly see the performance difference (power and handling) especially if you get a drop in filter and new exhaust (good for 20-30HP). I can feel a clear difference to my 276HP 350z, it handles much better (although a bit clinical compared to the 350z, cant man handle it as much) :thumbs:

The 370z was an ex demo in ultimate yellow, so it's the GT spec, plus it has sat nav and was registered In April 2010, so it was 6 months old at the time of purchase, with low mileage.

He also gave me a free first service, which it's booked in for next week now it 9k on the clock.

I had to negotiate hard with the dealer, but we agreed on 23k for the 370z and he gave me 16k for my 350z (registered in Dec 2008)

I checked Parkers and they had the 370 at 27k and the 350z part ex at 15.3k

I think I got a good deal!

I wasn't sure about the colour at first as the 350 was grey, but I glad I got it now.

I'm always surprised how much more you find out about a car once you physically own it, regardless of how much time you spend in showrooms or looking at pictures or even on test drives. You need to drive, clean it and even walk back towards it from different angles in a car park etc to fully appreciate the finer or less finer details.

After chopping in my 350z (313GT) for a 370z back in November, I feel that I'm able to form a proper opinion about the new car, although everyone has their own take on these sort of things.

Looks:

Like the 350, I think the worst view is front on, especially with the fangs. All the other angles are improved upon and it looks great from the back and sides. (my wife followed me to work last week and said is looks a bit TVR T350 ish from the back). Looking down the car from the front, the chunky rear arches look great with the wider 19'' alloys.

Performance:

Noticable but not huge gains over the 313bhp model, although the power band feels more even. It's certainly less dramatic than the 350z, which with a mashed right pedal from 4000 revs felt and sounded a bit like the Millenium Falcon trying to make the jump to hyper space (sorry, Star Wars reference). The handling initially feels improved and if it stops snowing or raining for long enough, I may actually find out!

Interior:

Certainly its visually a big improvement over the 350z, although I never had a problem with the interior on the 350z, at least not in the last generation 313bhp version and there are actually a couple of controls in the 370z that in my opinion are worse than in the 350z. The seats also seem less comfortable than in the 350z, although I've read that they are the same design.

Dislikes:

Not many in truth. I had the tonneau cover in my old 350z and I think this helped a bit with noise from the rear wheels, which appears louder in the 370z.

The engine/exhaust is also a bit dull sounding and at times doesn't even sound like a V6. A tuned exhaust that changes the sound charactistics at around 4000 revs would help.

No space saver......I'm not convinced that the tyre glue and compressor is going to get me of of the s**t on a cold January night in the middle of Northamptonshire!

The visibility also seems a bit worse in the 370z, espcially when you are trying to back out of a space and need to see towards the side/rear of the car. Probably best to use 'the force' instead! (sorry, another Star Wars reference)

Overall:

Very good really. It gets a lot of attention (especially in yellow!), which is partly down to the fact that there are not too many around yet. People in the know were aware of how good the 350z was, but the 370z seems to attact people's attention purely on the way it looks, which can't be bad!

I'm not sure how well it will do in the current climate, with petrol prices so high and the economy still struggling, but I think that in terms of a sports car, the 370z has moved up another from the 350z.

It's not a Cayman S beater (at least not on the track) but it's probalby around 15k less that a similarly specced Porche.

8/10 for Nissan. Make it sound a bit more exciting and I may stretch to a 9

hi i have a black edition in quartz also had a 350z 313 bhp version,had a few cars since.i have done a few minor mods to get the car how it should have come out of the factory,hks ssm exhaust and air filters ,uprev by abbey and eibach wheel spacers and finally slightly tinted the windows.

The biggest improvement that the 370 needs is the sound. As posted above, a good zorst willsort this, can't wait to get that shiney new Akrapovic Evo on, I can't however comment on the differences between the 370 and 350.

She is a "looker" and head turner, that will increase with a better sounding zorst. I have to say the power delivery is fantastic for a N/A car.

My criticisms would probably only run to the rather "notchy" gear change, great on the down shift with the rev synch and, as mentioned, visibility is poor, but hey, it's a sports car.

Still finding my way with it, as we've virtually been snowbound up here since she was run in, and every road is way too greasy at the mo. After my Akro is fitted, the next thing is a tinker with the suspension/ride hieght, aesthetically not fully to my taste., with a possible Injen induction kit to follow, still need to investigate that further though.

Overall, a great package, just have to cut down on the luggage for this years Euro tour :lol:

possible Injen induction kit to follow, still need to investigate that further though.

Think that will be a right PITA to fit. They dont have the headlight washers in the States, so only have one water bottle to change. Over here we have one either side I think, so you'd have to bodge that together somehow. I'd go for a Stillen Gen3, pretty easy to fit and the cutting you have to do is well hidden away if you want to revert to stock. Either Gen3 or drop in filter for me :thumbs:

Nice write-up Vern and have to say I agree with most of what you have found. Mine was also an ex demo with less than 60 miles on the clock and unmarked.

Sound - hence why I got the Stillen even before I could collect the car - the OEM zorst is the biggest let-down on the 370, unlike the 350 (UK version) which is a lot better.

Fangs dealt with as per my sig below. They are certainly more noticable with the bright colours, but as you say the 370 does seem to attract more attention - compared to the Ebisu and Blade 350 before. I feel that the more aggressive frontal appearance with the wrapping does seem to get more slower drivers to move over than I found with the 350's ;)

Having come from 276 then a 296 engined ZEDs, there is more power - but really it is not much and as I have found on 350z-uk drives the (standard) 350's hang on well - mainly because the visibility is better than the 370 as you sit that much lower and picking the apexes is little more challenging and on tighter roads the overall width seems much greater with the few extra millimetres over the 350. The mid-range torque on A & B roads is much better than with my previous 350's - a definite punch in the back when giving it some beans :teeth:

My biggest bugbear is the tramlining and steering feel - mainly at low speeds. But I plan to get Abbey to get that checked/changed and if necessary change the 'Stones'. We all know the 370 'scrubs' when on full lock and especially when the tyres are cold but I am beginning to feel there must be an improvement in the tyre department as it just hasn't got that spot-on feel that makes the 350 such a driving pleasure. So for me the jury is out on the 050A's.

The cabin has a much nicer overall feel although I do miss the storage areas of the 350. And the seats are not the same - the side bolsters certainly make it more of a snug fit for my 38" hips - to the point where I 'shuffle' more on long runs but it is not uncomfortable and a little more use will, I am sure, make it the perfect fit :blush:.

But hey, for me the biggest + is the syncro-rev, which combined with the Stillen makes it feel something very special :D

Like the 350, I feel it is great value for the money (and was just within my budget, unlike similar aged alternatives it is often compared with) and as I am fortunate in not having to use it as an everyday car it is not breaking the bank - so it is :#1: for me :thumbs:

There are some good additional comments there that I fully agree with.

I only noticed the tyre scrub the other day when I pulled out of a parking space at work!

I'm also aware of the tramlinning and heavier feel of the steering in general. I'm a bit of a wheel and tyre sado and I usually check these out on other cars that are tested in EVO magazine and there are not that many performance cars on the market with front tyres much bigger than 235, so these do seem a bit of an overkill.

Still overall I honestly can't see a better package for the money, especially if you still want some warranty.

possible Injen induction kit to follow, still need to investigate that further though.

Think that will be a right PITA to fit. They dont have the headlight washers in the States, so only have one water bottle to change. Over here we have one either side I think, so you'd have to bodge that together somehow. I'd go for a Stillen Gen3, pretty easy to fit and the cutting you have to do is well hidden away if you want to revert to stock. Either Gen3 or drop in filter for me :thumbs:

Is this what they mean by splash tank modification?

This is what I'm looking at, http://www.senner-tuning.de/shop/produc ... ts_id=4536

I think thats the one - sign up to the370z.com and read this thread - this is what I am talking about - you will see the modified bottle (red) and how on the passenger side there isnt on on the US car, but I think there is one on the UK car, thats certainly the case with the 350z.

http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaust/7 ... -dyno.html

:thumbs:

Would agree about the tramlining. It was a bit disconcerting the first couple times it happened and not something Ievery really noticed with the 350. If you dont have a firm grip on the steering wheel it can run make you swerve a bit awkwardly at low speed. I have a few regular daily routes and it happens at the same spots everytime. Must be something in these patches of the road which makes it more noticeable.

Would be curious to know definitively what causes it and if it could be covered by warranty.