Tyres.

helimeddaz

toyos are bloody horrible; ran them on a previous car and it weas like driving on jelly; the side walls are very soft with lots of tyre roll. might be alright with a very low profile but i don't rate them and wouldn't use them again.

vredesteins would be my first choice if you had more cash then the MPS2's

others love them but i think they're gash

I used them on my 19's. Even alex runs them on his track beast. Vik runs them aswell.

still doesnt make the tyre any better,

jenson button could run them on his car and endorse them still doesnt make them any better and still wouldn't put them on my car.

I guess it all depends on what you want from a tyre. If you want something cheap that is legal then the T1Rs and 452s are perfect. If you want your car to actually handle and grip and stop then I'd spend my money elsewhere. Horses for courses, really.

I guess it all depends on what you want from a tyre. If you want something cheap that is legal then the T1Rs and 452s are perfect. If you want your car to actually handle and grip and stop then I'd spend my money elsewhere. Horses for courses, really.

Bang on the money there Dan :thumbs:

MPS FTW. RE050A, VUS have good performance but still fall way short. Re040,TR1, FK etc are just midrange performance tyres and just don't cut it if you want the best in handling/grip and stopping in fast road or track usage.

toyos are bloody horrible; ran them on a previous car and it weas like driving on jelly; the side walls are very soft with lots of tyre roll. might be alright with a very low profile but i don't rate them and wouldn't use them again.

vredesteins would be my first choice if you had more cash then the MPS2's

others love them but i think they're gash

Toyo`s dont really suit the Zed due to it being a heavier car. I had them on my previous CTR and they were awesome! true they had softer sidewalls, and gave you a smoother ride than the 040`s, but IMO the Zed needs a tyre with stiff sidewalls to complement its handling characteristics.

They're like the Falken FK452s, i.e. cheap budget tyres. Go for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta or the RE050As. :thumbs:

No your wrong there they arent check them up. Near same pricing as gsd-3s. That doesnt make them a cheap tyre. its not all about what you think it cheap aswell as Neil said Alex's 600bhp car runs them no problem. I personally dont think they are that great but some people love them. Different people drive differently and need different tyres to suit their driving style or what they need from a tyre.

These are on my shortlist (18's), I'd be interested to know what you think about noise levels and "crashing" over bumps etc, what are they like in the wet? Thanks :)

My last Tyres were proxes t1r's and they were brilliant tyres. Got 24k put fronts and 19k out rears. They wore on inner edge due to camber on wheels. Still had 3mm on Center and outer edge :thumbs:

They're like the Falken FK452s, i.e. cheap budget tyres. Go for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta or the RE050As. :thumbs:

No your wrong there they arent check them up. Near same pricing as gsd-3s. That doesnt make them a cheap tyre. its not all about what you think it cheap aswell as Neil said Alex's 600bhp car runs them no problem. I personally dont think they are that great but some people love them. Different people drive differently and need different tyres to suit their driving style or what they need from a tyre.

I have 'checked them up', and they're a cheap budget tyre. They have a poor compound that doesn't like heat so you'll never be able to work them enough to get them proper sticky without them melting, they have floppy sidewalls so you're always increasing the internal pressure to get any turn-in from them, and (whisper it) they're not actually that good in the wet either. Alex may run them on his car but I bet he doesn't get anywhere near adequate grip on them, with his monster you'd need R888s or full slicks to get that kind of power down. They're a cheap solution if you just want something to kill off on a trackday and don't really care about outright pace, which I suspect is how Alex uses them and I would too given how quickly his car must go through rubber, but don't mistake that for a quality tyre.

At least you're right about different tyres suiting different driving styles, but we're talking thousandths of a second at the top end of the market here (i.e. the difference between the 050As and the PS2s), not the basics between a budget tyre and a premium one. Have you ever driven in anger a 350Z on the VUS, PS2 or 050A back to back? I have, and the difference is night and day. The FK452/T1R are cheap budget tyres, simple as that. If they were that good do you not think that the big manufacturers would put them on their cars from the factory? They don't, because they're not. By all means put them on your car, but you're sacrificing grip, turn in, feel, and reduced stopping distances in both wet and dry conditions. Yes, they're legal, but that doesn't make them a good companion for the Zed.

Oh god...

I have a dilema now. I can get the Bridgestone if I want, theres no difference in the price. So where does the budget tyre come into this. I don't want or need budget tyres, but is there anything as good or better for the Z. Honestly the RE050's have not inspired me.

I have driven her hard and the were predictable (mostly), But every now and again they'd do something totally bizarre and I might add without any warning.

They seem skittish when really the should still have grip left and then stick to the road like a squashed Hedge Hog when you're on the limit. I may just be me. :thumbdown:

People who have run a Z for many years may have tried many types of tyre. My Z is my daily driver and I drive in that mode most of the time, but on a given day some spirited driving may ensue and I want her to feel planted and predictable. Am I asking too much?

:)

Very surprised you don't like the RE050As, they're very good tyres and do give a lot of feedback before they let go. Have you had a geo done recently, as if all that's out you can get the symptoms you're describing.

That said, if you're looking at 050A prices then try the PS2s, they're marginally better for feel at the slight trade off of all out wet grip, but it's marginal and I'd be happy to run either on my car. I suspect however you might prefer the VUS, as they are the second most communicative tyres I've ever driven on (right behind the Neovas on an S1 Elise) and while you are going to sacrifice a fair amount of grip all round you do get an immense amount of feel from them.

I'll support what you said bout the t1r's melting. Alex tends to use them when the track is wet in sure. In the dry i had bits of tyre stuck to my bodywork. I have been running re040's on track and they are very good when it's dry as it much easier to get them upto temp. Due to my driving style(speed) in the wet I struggled to get them upto temp but once i got a little bit of heat they started to become adequate. I used the re040's on my first track day and it was lashing it down. Managed to survive it though.

I'm about to get a set of maxxis track tyres to test out. Waiting on the garage advising me what's available in the Uk. They seem to be used alot an sponsor alot of events but I've never heard of anyone actually using them

I have 'checked them up', and they're a cheap budget tyre. They have a poor compound that doesn't like heat so you'll never be able to work them enough to get them proper sticky without them melting, they have floppy sidewalls so you're always increasing the internal pressure to get any turn-in from them, and (whisper it) they're not actually that good in the wet either. Alex may run them on his car but I bet he doesn't get anywhere near adequate grip on them, with his monster you'd need R888s or full slicks to get that kind of power down. They're a cheap solution if you just want something to kill off on a trackday and don't really care about outright pace, which I suspect is how Alex uses them and I would too given how quickly his car must go through rubber, but don't mistake that for a quality tyre.

At least you're right about different tyres suiting different driving styles, but we're talking thousandths of a second at the top end of the market here (i.e. the difference between the 050As and the PS2s), not the basics between a budget tyre and a premium one. Have you ever driven in anger a 350Z on the VUS, PS2 or 050A back to back? I have, and the difference is night and day. The FK452/T1R are cheap budget tyres, simple as that. If they were that good do you not think that the big manufacturers would put them on their cars from the factory? They don't, because they're not. By all means put them on your car, but you're sacrificing grip, turn in, feel, and reduced stopping distances in both wet and dry conditions. Yes, they're legal, but that doesn't make them a good companion for the Zed.

Well that does depend on if your tracking it or though, if your melting your tyres on your way to the shops you probably need a slap.

I havent driven those 3 tyre combos but you didnt mention the tyre in question the t1-r's. Was it the same car? Same tread levels?

I've posted this today in the tyre review post, maybe that was the wrong place so here's some info I gleaned today:-

This is info I have gathered today and to my knowledge is accurate, it may or may not be useful when considering tyres at the moment and you should double check yourself as the situation will change.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 245 x 45 x 18 Rears - available

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 225 x 45 x 18 Fronts - "none in the country and on back order, won't be in the country before mid March" If you order them direct from Vred then you won't get them before May, i.e. you go to the back of the queue.

Toyo Proxes T1R Only fronts available, these tyres are apparently now discontinued and will be replaced with an asymmetric tread pattern, release date in the UK currently unclear.

This info is from tyre manufacturers and major on line distributors, you maybe lucky and find them at smaller local tyre distributors but I couldn't. :thumbdown:

I hope this is useful. :)

i've driven T1R's on track 3 laps and they were very greasy, the side walls gave terrible tyre roll and didn't inspire confidence.

reo40's great dry tyre superb for dry track days and to be honest not as bad as people make out for road use. they are still very predictable. reo50s much better though.

if i was looking around the T1R price range i'd go straight to the vredesteins, and thats what i did. great tyre for the money. miles better than the toyos.

Ok folks,

I've bitten the bullet. Ordered the RE050A's. Just my luck no rears in stock at Camskill and none in site. I'm sure they'll turn up in a bit.

I just hope these give me a little more in terms of predictability than the 1st set or set 3 will be something else.

thanks for all the great feedback as always. :thumbs: