Steering wheel wobble

Nuno

Hi guys

I'm getting some steering wheel wobble at high speeds. And at even higher speeds I'm getting some free-play about 10 degrees each side. It wasnt this bad 1-2,000m ago. I haven't changed anything since then. The car is standard apart from the 20" wheels but they have been on there for a year and this has only started about 1-2 months ago.

I had an alignment done and all wheels balanced a few months ago, before this started. The tyre tread and pressure is fine. The steering wheel doesnt wobble on braking, just as I go faster it gets worse. Its not significantly bad but just wasnt like this before the snow weather.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Get the wheels balanced again and go from there

+1

Probably a weight missing. Also when its on the balancing machine have a look at the wheel spinning and see if there are any flat spots or buckling on them - it's very easy to bend a 20" rim on a pot hole!

have 19s on my z.i had he same problem and had to balance the wheels on a weekly basis as the wobbling simply would not go away.as u r car is riding on aftermarket 20s check and confirm that the wheels are hubcentric.most after market items are not hubcentric though they have a pcd o f114.i had to make small spacers to make them hubcentric.it was the only way to get rid of the wobbling

have 19s on my z.i had he same problem and had to balance the wheels on a weekly basis as the wobbling simply would not go away.as u r car is riding on aftermarket 20s check and confirm that the wheels are hubcentric.most after market items are not hubcentric though they have a pcd o f114.i had to make small spacers to make them hubcentric.it was the only way to get rid of the wobbling

I think wheel balance too. I very much doubt that tracking and/or alignment can cause steering shake...alignment issues usually manifest as strange handling, heavy steering,scrubbing of the tyres and poor straight line stability etc etc so get the wheels balanced. My advice would be to first remove the wheels at home and thorougly clean them so that you can present a clean wheel to stick the new weights on. personally I would remove all the exhisting weights too.