Can you really make money by.............

Ricey

if you want to learn about shares why not start off on the penny shares market; lots of info around, and only play with a small investment; say less than 100.00. at the end of the day this isn't alot different to gambling. just know your game; and don't play with more than your willing to lose.

as for the car buying thing. has potential, but mechanical knowledge is helpful; or even just a friend who is mechanically minded.

helps spot lemons and other tell tale signs of a sh1tter.

i did love your list of DIY achievements. :lol:

I know about the mechanics of shares and in fairness I've turned about £1800 into £2300 in a couple of years but thats only on the basis of blind luck and a recovering market. I didn't really get much fun out of it (and obviously not much cash) which made me think about the car thing.......give that the car thing looks like a complicated ball ache I might just keep asking Captain for share tips.........he's made me £80 on £300 in a month already :#1:

I actually forgot

- when drilling the holes for a Carpet door plate I managed to get a small piece of carpet trapped in the drill head which was pelting along at full speed....pulling a run right through the full width of the 2 day old carpet.

Well if anyone want to give it a go, let me know and you can pop round and pick up the dog poo :thumbs:

Kind of off topic but how come you never see white dog poo anymore...

i believe the ingredients of dog food in the UK has changed to remove an ingredient which caused this. haven't seen a white poo in probably 15 years.

i bought a car at the auctions the other week. every tom dick and harry was there makeing the trade price go out the window. yes your get a cheap car if you intend to buy it for yourself.

ive had the same thoughts as you may of times but as you know, you buy what you see and somtimes its a lemon. i must admit the auctions are better now as if you ask they will give a list of the cars going through with a guide price on its value giving you the heads up rather than just the traders with there glasses guide.

best of luck tho :thumbs:

cheers for the responses guys.......its a bit clearer without the rose tinted specs on.

I think I've been watching too much wheeler dealers making it look easy...........lest we forget that I'm the man who;

- stripped the head off not 1 but 2 bolts on his pop charger - total install time 3 hours

- built a coffee table upside down,

- built another coffee tables legs the wrong way round

- smashed the parking brake mechanism on a Merc by fitting alloy wheels with wrong size locking nut

- stripped the paint off the nut holes on the same alloy wheels whilst mounting them on the car

- wires ceiling roses in by taking a 'bit of a guess' with the various live wires

- stripped the paint off a petrol cap by using a key to prise it open when frozen.

- changed the pads and discs on carla's last 3 cars causing them to literally scream every time she touched the pedal.......copper slip has since been discovered

- stripped the thread out of the sump on one of carlas old cars by overtightening the plug........the contents of which then spilled rather messily over the work carpark

- Put petrol in his nice new diesel car then proceeded to tear the aftermarket chip box out so Mitsi wouldn't invalidate the warranty.............6 hours labour later and numerous phone calls about being unable to start the car I realised I had basically left the loom in but removed the chip box........which subsequently cut the entire ECU circuit. Mitsi said they didn't actually give a toss about the chip anyway

- Changed the thermocouple on the boiler........whole house stinks of gas now.......probably going to die soon.

I'm special.......leave me alone :disguise:

:lol::lol: I am actually starting to think we may have been separated at birth .... I have had many such similar episodes including "CapGate" ... long story! :lol:

As regards to shares/investments at the sweat shop I go to each day all I deal with is shares and investments and reading markets / giving advice IFA etc... to be honest unless you hit it big with pennies shares it will be a slow process any investment is a minimum term of 5 years and some are even saying 10 years now....

The Dow jones average return over the last 50 years has been 10.41% only in one of the last 50 years has it return 10% ... what I am trying to say is even if you started with £1000 if you yield 10% after cost/ stamp duty/ annual management charge you make £100 pounds, which you could lose ..... so if you purchased 2 cars during a year with your £1000 and sold each one and only made 100 quid each car that would be a 20% return on your money woo result! ... there is some serious profit in cars and some serious loss too! but remember your time as well!! if you spend 20 hours doing the purchase / sale etc that’s £10 per hour what about cost now products/advertising/petrol 30% on profit margin min, now you have only made 140 quid now your 20 hours = That’s 7 quid an hour

I have really thought about doing hence why I am being a kill joy! :blush: I think you need to buy big so maybe 4-6k purchase to them sell for say 5-8k that where the money is ... I think

If you still interested in investments head for leading single shares still serious returns but it’s a daily job in its self, a big tip for 2011 is the Usa so maybe leading US single shares as its seriously undervalued there a strong feeling that the developed countries may lead the markets there is talk of 20%?? , as the emerging markets are starting to slow a little.

Best of luck .... I still looking for my own angle! :surrender:

i no this is abit off topic but instead of renovating a car to sell on , why not start off with old motor bikes ,

my father dose the really old stuff (cafe racers as the americans call it)

like triumph bonneville, norton commando , honda cb , triton etc

and ther is real money to be made in these if you sell over seas to like america or germany or to an enthusiast

on three of my fatehers build people from germany flew over to buy it test it and ship it back and he made a few grand on all them

key is to have no labour cost ( do it your self )

and no the market (no where to get good parts cheap)

but good luck in you ventures hope something works out for you's :thumbs:

i was thinking of buying and selling cars, ican fix them up no problem, its just time is an issue for me, i work on cars all week and the last thing i want to do in my spare time is fix more of them, but i may look into it next year.

Basically I'm a casualty of my generation, normally people would just be content to wait until they get older and reach economic maturity but apparently as one of Blairs children I've got to go and make my fortune or I'm just another office drone bum.

Of course the only other acceptable alternative to this is to quit everything and go 'travelling' (codeword for spunk the last of your cash on a Da Nang hostel and return home to the same job penniless).

I don't think my career choice in mortgages underwriting is really helping.......it started so promisingly but appears to be heading for a day in the not too distant future where I have a giant tattoo put on my chest that says 'you are an actual retard' with a big arrow pointing forward and every time one of these 'headhunted' management germs opens their mouths I can simply tear my shirt open to make my point.

The problem is after spending 10 years doing mortgage underwriting, obtaining qualifications and building up a great rapport with various important types..........there's no money left to lend, the qualifications therefore mean f-all as well and the various important types are all now frigging redundant and have been replaced with people who clearly were born in the jungle then raised by well meaning apes.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of it. If you enjoy messing around with cars and fancy doing a few up and seeing if you make some money I'd say go for it. If you break even and enjoy what you do, treat it as a hobby. If you makes money, have fun and enjoy it. I messed around with it when I was younger, worst case if you get a lemon, look at selling off some of the parts - it's amazing what you'll get for parts on ebay. That's possibly another avenue, mini-breaker! Get yourself an Alsatian, a crowbar and grow a huge beard.

Whatever you do good luck...

I read an interesting article recently about how white collar work is going to die in this country and to an extent I agree.

Well its got to hasn't it - if you keep making white collar work more and more complicated but allow dumber and dumber people to be in charge. It used to be a joke that you had to have no common sense to be successful in a company......now its an absolute fact - provided you nod your head up and down your on a fastrack to glory.

Its no coincidence that stock brokers and other high pressure ilk jack it all in to go and retrain as gas engineers and chippys.........less pressure (of the conventional kind) and more job satisfaction.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of it. If you enjoy messing around with cars......

I do enjoy messing around with cars.............problem is I'm a proper liability at it!! :lol:

I dunno I watch 1 episode of 'Wheeler Dealers' on the Discovery Channel and look what I've caused! :doh:

just remember, there is no such thing as "easy money", there is always something that needs putting in to get the most out of it.

Honestly, I'm glad I got out of the office and into overalls for a living, no stress, decent pay and a certain degree of job security (unless this country stops importing goods).

Been a docker for the last eight years come February and have enjoyed most of it :)

Ricey, if you are gonna do something to boost earnings, at least try your hand at something you are fairly good at, so steer clear of DIY or mechanical stuff or share dealing and stuff that is mind boggling to you.

You want to make money, not loose it.

Another way perhaps is to re-evaluate your lifestyle, yes we all want shiny things, but if you can't justify a purchase, then just don't get it.

Dunno if I am making sense at all, prolly cos I am at work and it's 3:23 in the AM, lol