Part Worn Tyres!!!

police350z

Hi, had a quote for new rear tyres for my Zed and came in at £370, so by mistake came across a web site in Alfreton Notts, Online Performance Tyres, who sell part worn, now I know what you're thinking and it would be exactly the same as I was thinking at the time, not a chance because I've alway's bought new, but had the day off so went to have a nosy. The tyres still had 6.7mm tread (new are 8mm) and looked in brill condition so I thought with Xmas I,d go for it and got both fitted with balancing for £160. Now I know there the only things between you and the road but I was blown away with the quality and price, so if you need tyres go and have a nosy at your nearest dealer, cheers.

Sounds like a good deal you've got there and fair play. Maybe it's me but tyres are one of the things I just won't "F" about with. You've got a good deal and that's great. For my personal safety I would always replace my tyres with new tyres from a recognised brand from a reputable supplier.

It's probably just me but when I bought the Zed I knew it wasn't going to be as cheap to run as a 106 or Clio and that includes the tyres, I'm happy to pay the money required for that, especially in tyres but then maybe I'm a sucker. However as you say they're "the only things between you and the road".

Is it true there is a law in somewhere like Germany that should you get a tyre damaged beyond repair (possibly even if it can be repaired - I don't know) you need to replace all 4 regardless? I remember hearing this from someone but it could be complete rubbish. This ties in with the fact of how we are able to get part worn tyres with quite reasonable tread and reputable makes.

theres a place near me that does re moulds, does any one want me to check that out? :shrug:

Remoulds are different to part worns though. :thumbs:

i know they are; it was the fact that they are cheap as this it seems is what people want ;)

I have nothing against part worn tyres. I think they offer good value to be honest. I'd rather see someone buy a quality part worn with their cash than a new yangchoi ditchfinder+ ultrasport or something.

Is it true there is a law in somewhere like Germany that should you get a tyre damaged beyond repair (possibly even if it can be repaired - I don't know) you need to replace all 4 regardless? I remember hearing this from someone but it could be complete rubbish. This ties in with the fact of how we are able to get part worn tyres with quite reasonable tread and reputable makes.

Yes - but not all cars - all public service cars - if a police car in Germany gets a puncture, then all four tyres are replaced - I used to get my part worn tyres from a company that imported them - Pirelli P Zero on 17" - its what the German Jags use - got 19" now so have to buy new :thumbdown:

to a point i would agree stew, but you have to be very careful what you put on, i would want to individually inspect each tyre before it went near my car.

i have seen some part worns that were apparently sold as A1 top condition yes it was a top brand name tyre and yes it had about 5mm tread, but there was alot of repairs in them and one or 2 i would have said were way to close to the edge.

my advice would be if you go this route to be extremely vigiliant about what is fitted.

to a point i would agree stew, but you have to be very careful what you put on, i would want to individually inspect each tyre before it went near my car.

i have seen some part worns that were apparently sold as A1 top condition yes it was a top brand name tyre and yes it had about 5mm tread, but there was alot of repairs in them and one or 2 i would have said were way to close to the edge.

my advice would be if you go this route to be extremely vigiliant about what is fitted.

Agreed.

Nowt wrong with part worn tyres - when you buy a 2nd hand car all the tyres are part worns!

As said though, stick to decent brands - also if you can, check the date code on the tyre - I wouldn't fit anything more than a couple of years old (the rubber does start to harden and crack due to UV after 3/4 years).

Nowt wrong with part worn tyres - when you buy a 2nd hand car all the tyres are part worns!

As said though, stick to decent brands - also if you can, check the date code on the tyre - I wouldn't fit anything more than a couple of years old (the rubber does start to harden and crack due to UV after 3/4 years).

partworns are fine as long as they are in good nick. if they've had dodgy repairs they aren't good. no one wants a blow out at motorway speeds or going round a corner. these are after all perofrmance cars, its not like its being used to trundle to the shops and back.