Changing car...insurance question...

chrisgunton

My MX5 is currently up for sale, and I've just spotted the PERFECT 350Z for me. I can afford it, and I want it.

If I bought it before selling my current car what happens with insurance? Obviously I'd get insured on my new car, but would I have to keep the policy going on my current car?

What's the best course of action to take while trying to sell my current car?

You'll need to get it off the road.....personally is take the battery off too so no theiving scroat nicks it.

We did the exact same thing with our mx5.....do yourself a favour and save it until next spring! No one wants a covertible this time of year.

Alternatively you'll have to add it as a 2nd car......double premiums though :surrender:

That is an absolutely stunning '5. Well done sir. B)

As far as your question goes, it depends on if you can afford to lose £3500. That's working on the basis that you swap your insurance over to the Zed and don't take out a new policy or a multicar one to cover the MX-5. Best case scenario someone buys it without driving it and you're quids in, worst case it gets nicked and you've got no comeback.

At the moment I'm considering buying the car and SORNing is :(

Sell the MX5 and then get the Z on the road.

The temptation would be insane though :)

Thats exactly what we did. Got offered £500 for the MX5 in part ex :dry: so rather than miss a minter Zed we decided to SORN the 5 and flog it in the spring.

I'll just get insurance on a month policy in april (gonna cost what.....£40?)......6 months tax and flog it.

Comparible cars (spec, age, milage ETC) we're selling for 3k last spring so I'm buggered if I'm flogging it for next to nothing mid winter.

Basically unless the White Witch's sleigh brakes down and she needs another motor you've got no chance of getting a decent price.

white_witch1.jpg