Using jump leads safely (Guide)

Tarmac@TarmacSportz

Pretty simple I know but we don't want any mishaps this time of year so a quick guide to anyone that hasn't used there Zed in the adverse weather condition and has a flat battery

Check the vehicle handbook before using jump leads. All include general advice on jump starting but some include model specific procedures. If this is the case you must follow the manufacturer's procedure rather than the steps described below.

Jump starting a vehicle can be a safe procedure however and damage can be avoided if a few simple rules are followed:

Safety rules

Keep metal objects away from the top of the battery – rings, watch straps, hand tools, clips or stray wires just brushing a battery post can cause a massive spark, possibly exploding the battery and releasing the acid.

Don't attempt to jump-start a battery that is leaking or looks damaged – an explosion could result.

Avoid smoking or naked flames – batteries give off flammable gases and an explosion could result.

Keep hands well away and avoid loose fitting clothing, particularly scarves or neckties – with the engine running it's easy to get caught-up and seriously injured on moving parts like pulleys or belts.

Jump leads must be in good condition – damaged conductors or clamps can result in overheating and the possibility of fire.

Step by step

Before connecting any leads make sure the vehicles are the same voltage and that they're parked with their handbrakes on and ignition off. The vehicles must not touch as this can cause sparks or an explosion.

Use the red jump lead to connect the positive terminal of the donor vehicle's good battery to the positive terminal of the flat battery.

Then use the black lead to connect the negative terminal of the good battery to a suitable earthing point on the engine or chassis of the other vehicle. This earthing point must be away from the battery and fuel system.

With both leads connected wait three minutes for the voltages to equalise before starting either engine.

Start the engine of the donor car and allow it to run for a minute then, with it still running, start the engine of the other car and leave both running at a fast idle for ten minutes. Do not remove the jump leads while the engines are running as this can cause serious damage to the electronics on either car.

If the jump leads get hot, then avoid a possible fire by switching off both engines and allowing the leads to cool.

Turn off the ignition on both cars and then disconnect the leads carefully in the reverse order to the way that they were connected. Be careful not to touch the clips against each other or against the car bodywork.

Start the car that had the dead battery using its own battery power. If it won't start this could indicate a more serious problem with the charging/ignition system that will need investigating by a professional.

:)

if the donor vehicle has a battery monitoring system, connecting directly to the neg terminal will get it a bit confused as the BMS doesnt see the charge leaving the battery. It will level out over time but may cause some issues short term. as stated, just check the manual for where it suggests jumping from.

i was hoping for something comical chris ;):p

just found my battery dead as I havent driven the zed for a couple of weeks. I have a battery start thingymabob with its own battery and cables attached. I have just tried attching it and left it 5 mins before trying to start up the zed, when starting the (starter motor?) just clicks wildly but the engine doesnt even come close to turning over. am i doing something wrong? :wacko:

just found my battery dead as I havent driven the zed for a couple of weeks. I have a battery start thingymabob with its own battery and cables attached. I have just tried attching it and left it 5 mins before trying to start up the zed, when starting the (starter motor?) just clicks wildly but the engine doesnt even come close to turning over. am i doing something wrong? :wacko:

Don't think so, unless your battery restart thingmabob is dead too lol.

If your battery has been dead for a loooong time then it might damage it, try leaving it attached a bit longer and then try it again

If still no joy try the old fashioned jump leads, still no joy after that ring AA or buy a new battery from Halfrauds :lol:

Dude............find a bin - open it - put the battery start thingymabob in.

I spent 2 hours cocking about with mine the other day before getting the missus to drive back and clamp some good old hard core jumper leads.

Those jump packs are fecking bone!