Does the 350z HAVE to run on higher octane fuel?

sterry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I know is that when I filled a motorbike tank at Shell with V-Power, that on a full tank I could see to the bottom of the tank.

Filling up at Sainsburys, I could not see to the bottom of the tank, because the fuel was cloudy.

I only feed the Zed V-Power.

Without going into the rights and wrongs of using V-Power there is no way that any petrol should be cloudy or hazy. There are very strict standards applying to fuel and a batch of hazy petrol would be rejected straight away. Cloudiness would mainly be caused by small globules of water from steam cleaning a tank without drying it out properly but there are other reasons, for example, rust in a holding tank, contamination from a different product, dirty hoses, etc. This kind of thing was pretty common in the 70's, should have been cleared up by now though.

Pete

Our old C2 VTS use to run rubbish on Tesco unleaded but fine on BP/Shell so i tend to avoid there normal stuff now. I always put 95 Ron in my 350Z as i only drive around town and it seems fine, will be trying Shell v power next time i run my tank down though.

On the Swift Sport forum i was told by members that the Sport has to run on Super Unleaded and if you dont it will damage the engine and they can tell and wont pay out on any warranty work. Lets just say i dont believe everything i read on the net.

the car will adjust to run on the lower grade fuel. some cars deal with it better than others. lower fuel generally loses you about 20-30 bhp and worse fuel economy,

wow 20-30bhp?! that's more of a difference than I'd thought, makes me feel a bit better on filling up with the expensive stuff now!

Was in Ellesmere Port getting tyres for the Zed on Friday... was really low on juice, had to put a tenner 'Murco' standard petrol in my Fairlady to get me home.

Been topped up with V Power and Ultimate since, but on the way home today the car had started to splutter/kangaroo and pass black smoke, pulled over and the car struggled to idle/electrical power dwindled. No engine lights came on as far as I know.

Have I knackered my car?

I have searched... come up with stuff like ECU reset, O2/MAF sensor, injectors etc... if anyone can help a worried noob I'd be extremely appreciative.

Sounds like you put diesel in :p

That was my first thought too, but you don't get far once you've put it in, a couple of miles if you're lucky. Fairly easy to rule it out though just by smell alone. A common problem years ago was water or rust in the fuel, that would certainly make it splutter. Could be one of many things though, fuel, alternator, battery, belt tension, difficult to pin it down. Have you managed to get the car home?

Pete

Car is home fine Pete cheers, the electrical power thing was literally just when it wanted to cut out in idle, it's fine holding power.

Take it to the stealers? Or book it into local garage probably not experienced with Zed's :blink:

Hmm, could be a partial blockage somewhere. It's possible that if you were very low on fuel then adding more would have stirred up something already in the bottom of the tank. It might work its way through in a day or two. Kangaroo jumping is usually a symptom of fuel starvation and that's probably as good as any a place to start looking.

Pete

Unless it's something obvious, like your intake hanging off and screwing with the maf, you're not going to know until you hook it up to read the fault codes. Most places should be able to do that without getting too hands on, giving you the option to go elsewhere when you identify the fault. Don't assume it's 'bad fuel' just because that's when it appeared to start playing up. There will have been hundreds of vehicles through the same station and if there had been a problem to that extent it would probably have made the news! Hope it gets sorted without too much bother.

Our old C2 VTS use to run rubbish on Tesco unleaded but fine on BP/Shell so i tend to avoid there normal stuff now. I always put 95 Ron in my 350Z as i only drive around town and it seems fine, will be trying Shell v power next time i run my tank down though.

On the Swift Sport forum i was told by members that the Sport has to run on Super Unleaded and if you dont it will damage the engine and they can tell and wont pay out on any warranty work. Lets just say i dont believe everything i read on the net.

My Mrs has a 58 plate SSS,and they told her at the dealership that up to a certain reg,the car had to be run on high octane fuel,but i think that my Mrs one says on the fuel flap 98+ octane,but il check.

Iv told her since she got it to run it on super,and she even tells me when she occasionally has to put normal stuff in,and the car is performs badly,so that puts her off anyway. She puts in Tesco 99.

My Mrs has a 58 plate SSS,and they told her at the dealership that up to a certain reg,the car had to be run on high octane fuel,but i think that my Mrs one says on the fuel flap 98+ octane,but il check.

Iv told her since she got it to run it on super,and she even tells me when she occasionally has to put normal stuff in,and the car is performs badly,so that puts her off anyway. She puts in Tesco 99.

my swift sport is run on normal shell fuel save stuff constantly and runs a treat.

knocking noise , detonation maybe? was you running low on fuel when you added the injector cleaner?

Do a ECU reset and make sure the ca rid fille dup with Super before running it again.

But reading the problem I suspect a Air flow meter problem , Zmanalex can supply these as a good price at the moment.