TEST DROVE THE NEW TT........SORRY

D4V3 GT4

test drove the new 3.2 TT (fully loaded) on Saturday:

Loved the S tronic paddles.....for about 15mins then got board!

The looks are nothing compared to the Zed, not one second glance from

anybody, serious not one, you get spoilt driving the Zed, as soon as you change you will notice the difference!

The TT is far to tame, rather than you being in control of the car the car is So in control of you.

No where near raw enough!

To be far though, I really don't think you should compare the two, they are that different. The Zed is a sports coupe, the TT is a gadget fest, more and an executive coupe!

I tried to explain this to the sales guy and failed so I gave him the keys to my Zed and we went far a spin, (he drove)

And he totally agreed with everything I said, I won't mention the garage but is words were, "that's a real motor"

BMW Z4 M next, but looks like I may just stick with mine for another year

or even update for the new silver 06 with NISMO.

like the guy said I want a real car! and the TT didn't come close

(Oh, and to get a decent spec, your looking at around 34k!)

DaveH

Having owned an S3 for 4 years I admit I'm a bit of an Audi fan and although I have no doubt in my mind that the new TT will be bulletproof, it will lack the character and the raw passion of the zed. That's why I was smitten with and eventually bought a zed. :thumbs:

Guest prescience

To be fair, a guy at work has the new 3.2 V6 (says the first into the country, but I doubt it); he had the previous 3.2V6 too.

His main comparative comments are:

- it feels much faster than the old 3.2

- it is SUPERB inside

- it still doesn't quite connect, though he does prefer it

Not my bag at all, but back-to-back has some merit

Had a TT myself and really liked it. The big problem for me with the new TT is that Audi have cheapened the brand too much. and will continue to do the same with this model. It's got to be a big volume sales car and no longer a exclusive one.

Had a TT myself and really liked it. The big problem for me with the new TT is that Audi have cheapened the brand too much. and will continue to do the same with this model. It's got to be a big volume sales car and no longer a exclusive one.

Its about the same price as the previous one, even a little bit more expensive, so I dont really understand how they could have "cheapened" the brand compared to the Mk1 ???

Then again, how do you expect a car for that price to be "exclusive" :wacko:

Its about the same price as the previous one, even a little bit more expensive, so I dont really understand how they could have "cheapened" the brand compared to the Mk1 ???

Then again, how do you expect a car for that price to be "exclusive" :wacko:

When they first came out in the UK they were only 180bhp or 225bhp both with quatro. By the end of the MarkI you could get a 150bhp 2wd with various varients in between which made it more affordable to a wider sector

I saw some head-to-head review too in a dutch magazine. Their conclusion was that the TT was as fast as the 350Z, and much easier to drive on the limit, but less of a "true" sportscar due to the lack of feedback and that it was so "safe" to drive. On their test track they had about the same lap times, but it took them more laps to get there with the 350Z, compared to the TT. Its basically a true Audi in that aspect. Fast, comfortable, safe to drive on the limit ---> boring after a while.

Thats what they said at least ;)

Conclusion: you want "the best" car, get the TT, you want the car to give you the most thrills and fun, get the 350Z. I think i ll have to agree on this. Depends on what you expect from a car. I dont think trying to drift a FWD car with a haldex to get RW power (max 50%) will be the same than drifting a RWD car with an LSD ;)

Now i must say on the looks department, the Z looks way more like a sportcar than the TT dough B)

I saw some head-to-head review too in a dutch magazine. Their conclusion was that the TT was as fast as the 350Z, and much easier to drive on the limit, but less of a "true" sportscar due to the lack of feedback and that it was so "safe" to drive. On their test track they had about the same lap times, but it took them more laps to get there with the 350Z, compared to the TT. Its basically a true Audi in that aspect. Fast, comfortable, safe to drive on the limit ---> boring after a while.

Thats what they said at least ;)

Conclusion: you want "the best" car, get the TT, you want the car to give you the most thrills and fun, get the 350Z. I think i ll have to agree on this. Depends on what you expect from a car. I dont think trying to drift a FWD car with a haldex to get RW power (max 50%) will be the same than drifting a RWD car with an LSD ;)

Now i must say on the looks department, the Z looks way more like a sportcar than the TT dough B)

+1 :)

Do a search on 'Trader between £19-20k for a Zed and for a TT in a few mile radius - bet the TT's are off the page!!!

Having owned an S3 for 4 years I admit I'm a bit of an Audi fan and although I have no doubt in my mind that the new TT will be bulletproof, it will lack the character and the raw passion of the zed. That's why I was smitten with and eventually bought a zed. :thumbs:

I dunno - I owned one for a short while, which consisted of rattles, warrenty hassles, wheel bearing failures, rattles, air con failures, rattles, dealer incompetance and did I say rattles?

Although the interior look was excellent - slightly behind a Tiv or Zonda for innovative and absorbing cockpits IMHO.

Went to Audi TT launch day in Dublin recently.

Car is fatter, still has stupied rear seats but is basically the same thing as before. A girls car.

If you get up close to one check out the two buttons on the drivers door that are only accessible when the door is open. After 10mins discussing it the sales people told me they are for the alarm. You can set it when getting out if you are leaving a kid in the car or something. I laughed.

They also tried to sell me the car based on the fact that you can get a set of clubs into the new TT where as you couldn't before. I tried in vain to explain I don't play golf.

Check out http://www.myaudittsucks.com/ for a good story of the old TT and the Audi network.

Guy

If you get up close to one check out the two buttons on the drivers door that are only accessible when the door is open. After 10mins discussing it the sales people told me they are for the alarm. You can set it when getting out if you are leaving a kid in the car or something.

The sales guys were correct, it's pretty much a std VW-Audi feature that allows you to disable the interior ultrasonic movement detector.

Is it a gimmick?

Have you ever tried turning the ultrasonics off on the Z?

If you get up close to one check out the two buttons on the drivers door that are only accessible when the door is open. After 10mins discussing it the sales people told me they are for the alarm. You can set it when getting out if you are leaving a kid in the car or something.

The sales guys were correct, it's pretty much a std VW-Audi feature that allows you to disable the interior ultrasonic movement detector.

Is it a gimmick?

Have you ever tried turning the ultrasonics off on the Z?

Yeah. What you do, is you get the mrs to stand next to the car while you go to the cash point :D