Advice Needed...Quite Serious! Good News!

nurrish

Soooo i found out my lovely smart car was registered cat D last year.....i wasn't told about when purchasing the car.

I put it forsale on friday because i cant stand it no more...i got a phone call from a guy saying he was interested and was willing to stump up the cash....30 minutes later he called and said he had run an HPI against the car and came up registered as a cat D in novemeber last year. This was news to me....the guy still wanted it but at an obvious discounted sum.

Wasn't sure whether he was pulling a fast one over on me...so i ran an hpi check myself and low and behold i get the same result...great :headhurt:

Buuuuuuut when i bought the car from the dealer there was a mandatory £30 payment for "HPI & Indemnity" ....I have been trying to find out what this entails...i spoke with the garage and i am going to see them tomorrow

Just wondering if this "HPi & Indemnity" covers me for a full refund?

Basically i want to get some good info together before going there so i know what my rights are and to make sure they cant get out of it :teeth:

if you had a full HPI check on the car and something appeared that wasn't on it then you are covered for a refund.

if when you bought the car they had HPI'd it then there should be some paper work with it to prove this. i've always carried out my own checks. never trust a garage.

go have a chat with them, they may not refund you but if that blokes interested you might be able to agree thew difference with the original garage, they may like this as it means they won't get the car back, and the issue will go aaway quickly.

You would hope that it means that a HPI has been carried out and that the car is clean (which it's not) and if its not you should be indemnified from any loss.

Do you have a copy of the hpi certificate that the dealer did when you bought it?

I assume the car was not advertised as cat D? Do you have a copy of the advert?

If it wasn't you should have a very strong case for a refund!

There was no mention regarding the car being a cat D...when i spoke with the garage they was just as shocked as me.

Dealer says all there cars are hpi checked but i don't have there certificate. I dont have the original advert but there was defintaley no mention on there. Infact the garage is portway...sarnie you should know this garage...portway on the alcester road just before the m42...quite a reputable place

There was no mention regarding the car being a cat D...when i spoke with the garage they was just as shocked as me.

Dealer says all there cars are hpi checked but i don't have there certificate. I dont have the original advert but there was defintaley no mention on there. Infact the garage is portway...sarnie you should know this garage...on the alcester road just before the m42...quite a reputable place

Yeah I know them, used to drive past there when I used to drive into Redditch. To be fair they usually had some decent stuff in there.

I'd do as RT says and tell them that you want them to cover the difference in your asking price and what the other guy wants to pay. If he pulls out, tell them you want and expect a full refund, if not you'll be reporting it to trading standards and the local press! Most companies would not want this sort of this to leak out to the local population as it could be massively detrimental to their reputation.....

when i've done HPI before one of the main issues is that you are only covered if you have completed it before you buy it and have completed all sections inc mileage. i think there was a week overlap from buying where you had to go back on and add the mileage to make sure you are fully covered.

if you haven't done the HPI or do it after buying it your not covered at all. your only way out is to hope the garage help.

persoanlly i think your less likely to see a full refund as most cars are sold as seen, if there HPI is clear; at time of sale then it wass down to the buyer to do their own.

a meet half way on price situation may be more likely outcome.

but to be honest you'll need to play it by ear. if the gargae are happy to refund you the full amount, then go that route, if they odn't seem that helpful then the paying the differnece route is better,

Yeah i here what your saying rich and i think your right.

But its this £30 which i was made to pay which is there to safegaurd me. Going in tomorrow so i will report back...

ah they made you pay the £30? which should mean your covered if they filled all the stuff in on your behalf. if so then you should be covered for a full refund. there is how ever an upper limit on how much they refund (not the garage but HPI)

admittedly £30 is alot though as i'm sure a full HPI is only £20 at most,

persoanlly i think your less likely to see a full refund as most cars are sold as seen

That's incorrect, even if a dealer says "sold as seen" it means sweet FA - terms like these don't exempt them from their legal obligations. (Private sales are a lot less protective of the buyer but that doesn't matter here).

You may want to seek free legal advice, but I'm pretty sure that the car isn't as advertised (although probably still fit for purpose) so you should be entitled to a refund, although the garage will probably (begrudgingly) offer a replacement before that, after a bit of arseing around... at the end of the day they should have HPI'd the car themselves before purchasing it or excepting it as px so should have some form of protection themselves to recover their loss.

I'd just turn up and see what they offer, you might be pleasantly surprised, and if you're not you can just say you'll think it over and leave and then research some more - the Sale of Goods Act 1979 is your friend here.

There's a fairly good article on Autotrader here:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2010 ... ning-a-car

Some good news to report!

Went and saw the garage just now and they were very friendly and accommodating. Straight away the guy admitted they were at fault and offered a full refund. He even mentioned that i paid £30 for the hpi and they didn't even run it :bang:

So i am quite happy....i did however service the car and put 4 new tyres on...but i can let that slide as they were so accommodating and forth giving with the refund

Lesson learn't for me though....HPI check everything :band:

Some good news to report!

Went and saw the garage just now and they were very friendly and accommodating. Straight away the guy admitted they were at fault and offered a full refund. He even mentioned that i paid £30 for the hpi and they didn't even run it :bang:

So i am quite happy....i did however service the car and put 4 new tyres on...but i can let that slide as they were so accommodating and forth giving with the refund

Lesson learn't for me though....HPI check everything :band:

Good news, nice to hear of some good service for a change and someone taking responsibility for f***ing up!

Good news given what it says here:

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news-views/2 ... -the-roads

"What's more worrying is that many people will buy a category D write-off vehicle without realising because the seller does not have to tell them. And as many insurance companies won't insure category C or D vehicles, it is vital that potential buyers get any vehicle checked out before they part with their money."

Good news given what it says here:

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news-views/2 ... -the-roads

"What's more worrying is that many people will buy a category D write-off vehicle without realising because the seller does not have to tell them. And as many insurance companies won't insure category C or D vehicles, it is vital that potential buyers get any vehicle checked out before they part with their money."

I think dealers are still liable if the sell a cat D without advertising what they're selling, with private sales it's very much buyer-beware though.