Fokken broken window motor

Willy P

Well, what a 5h!t weekend this has been so far. First of all I had band practice last night :band: and my amp blew up leading to me needing to buy 4 new valves because I have a gig tomorrow at a lovely price of nearly 100 smackers and when I got back in my car I opened my passenger window all the way down only for it to be stuck at the bottom :rant: . I have tried a few things like the window motor reset procedure but it requires the window to be fully up, which is impossible.

So, I think the actual motor is fully broken. Has this happened to anyone here before? I know search is my friend and all that but I really can't find much on this, perhaps due to my lack of common sense which has been a large fault of mine throughout my life.

Could anyone advise me on how I should proceed with this?

Is changing an electric window motor difficult or will I have to go to my "local" Nissan dealer who is 20 minutes away with my window wide open and pay them millions of beer tokens for the pleasure?

This is so annoying because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rest of the car but I cannot use it. It's my daily drive so it's almost a necessity.

Luck has not been on my side these past couple of days. I think I'll go and get pi55ed and hope for the best.

:drunk:

As a short term fix try giving the door card a good few thumps with your hand while working the window switch.

With a bit of luck it may close.

Failing that I have brand new genuine Nissan motors in stock and, I may even have a preowned one as well.

Alex. :)

Thanks for the help everybody, as always a nice and speedy reply.

I will first try cleaning the commutator as money is a bit of an issue right now but failing that I will PM you Alex.

Is it quite easy to get to the window motor? I assume you just remove the door card as I have done already and then remove the metal panel hiding behind it. Is there anything I should watch out for Doctor Austin?

There is at least 1 guide on this..sorry dont know the link, but I have a copy saved on my PC if you need it. It is actually very straight foward but best not to be against the clock. Mine had been playing up for a while before it actually stopped working and now its much quieter and so far back to as new. The segments on the commutator were oxidised and greasy, easily removed with scotchbrite and IPA or Ethanol or petrol. I dont recall it being difficult but remember at the time thinking I'll either fix it or totally mess it but either way something has to be done. So give it a go :thumbs:

Will

Just wondering how you got on with the power window motor??? hope you managed it okay.

Nick

Yes mate, it was a busy day yesterday but I managed to fit it in. Worked like a dream :yahoo: , the window works better than before it busted. Amazing what a touch of WD40, some meths, a toothbrush and some cotton buds can do. Took me about an hour and a half as well. Well, that's saved me a few hundred quid then... I owe you a beer.

• 1 month later...
Cleaning the commutator really does work!! cost 0

I second that. My window motor was not even making any noises, so I took it out, took it apart, cleaned it and put it back in. Bingo, it's working again. Just need to reset it now.

EDIT: Doh. When I connected it back up, I was able to run it for a few seconds, then released the door switch and that's it, no more movement, no nothing :(

Anyone got a used right side 2003 JDM window motor? If not... I'll :pmzmanalex: