Pop charger installation and why Ricey is a fail!

Ricey

Pointing out that you are indeed a 'fail' is never a nice thing to do but if nothing else it will amuse you for 5 mins!

Much as no one really knows me that well you must all do me a favour.....NEVER EVER EVER let me take charge of a spanner ever again!

Dan's (Ekona's) Pop Charger arrived in the week all ready for a quick 15 min installation this afternoon.

3 hours later and just beating the arrival of total darkness its installed.

Things were going so well! The airbox came out in a breeze, the heat shield flew in with a minimum of fuss.........then I took the MAF section off the airbox and attempted to bolt it to the charger.

Now maybe I'm literally the biggest spaz in the motoring universe...maybe the question should be be raised 'was he offspring of a village idiot and his sister' but I figured that using the original bolts off the airbox should be used for the charger too.......FAIL FAILFAILFAIL :angry:

Assuming the thread was a little bit tight I applied some good old elbow grease with a spanner......which promptly snapped the head off the bolt leaving the thread snapped in the charger........oh........****. :bang:

After me and my neigbour attempted to drill the thread out a several times to no avail - we gave up and decided to cut the other bolts down to size and work with 3...it was perfectly tight with 3 so no issues.......until I attatched the stabalizing bar to the car and tightened the bolt on the charger......el-snapola again!

So my nice new(ish) pop charger was sat there with 2 headless bolts sitting beautifully flush into the thread of the charger.

Luckily my neigbour is something of a hero and disappeared into his shed and returned with what can only be described as a 'war-bastard' of a drill and we managed to drill the thread out. Then he produced a die and tap set which enable me to tap a new thread in the charger, followed with a shiney new bolt from his collection.........a bit of carful bolting and whoooooooooooosh brummmmmbobbbabobbbba...........done :yahoo:

Why does it always happen to me! :shrug:

:lol::lol::lol: EPIC fail hahaha

Edit: no it doesnt just happen to you, search what happened to me and my plenum :lol:

I actually nearly titled this thread 'Riceys fail for Huskys amusement'...........fair play at least this fail was quickly fixable!

I wouldn't mind but I've done something similar before......putting new alloys on my Merc CLK and decided to be clever and use the Merc locking nuts which were half an inch longer than the ones supplied....

.....what difference will that make I thought.

.....well I'll tell you. Its the difference between smashing your entire parking brake mechanism into oblivion.

Stew........those bolts are not being moved, touched, breathed on or even looked at the wrong way!! :lol: In fairness we had cut them down to the right size so they've not been overtightened or anything.

I need to get a torque wrench urgently!

:snack: live and learn, what's it like once fitted?

Aye I guess so mate......you've got to crack a few eggs to make an omlette and all that.

I was too angry, wet and covered in muck to even take it out........it was fairly whooooosh brummmbrummmbrumm reving it on the drive though.

shame, you should always try and rince the crap off and take it for a spin afterwards to put a smile back on your face! Well done and hope you won't be scared of doing some more mods to the car... :thumbs: (maybe get some additon to the toolbox first...)

All joking apart though people on here (and you 2 are as good an example as any) are fairly inspirational for the 'have a go attitude' that anyone with a love of anything mechanical should have.

I'm probably doing myself a dis-service in that I always have a crack at little jobs but not without seemingly leaving a trail of distruction in my wake!

As you rightly point out Anders........you live and learn and you'll only ever make the mistake once!

Slam plates coming in the week.........mmmmm something else to break. :headhurt:

All joking apart though people on here (and you 2 are as good an example as any) are fairly inspirational for the 'have a go attitude' that anyone with a love of anything mechanical should have.

I'm probably doing myself a dis-service in that I always have a crack at little jobs but not without seemingly leaving a trail of distruction in my wake!

As you rightly point out Anders........you live and learn and you'll only ever make the mistake once!

Slam plates coming in the week.........mmmmm something else to break. :headhurt:

:blush: thanks

Bound to get stuff wrong once in a while no matter how careful or prepared you are, it's how you learn :) I think alot more people get it wrong than you think but they keep it :shutup: Good on you for giving it a go, the next step is to help someone else do theirs right first time, next thing you know your neighbour will ask you why you have a variety of different high power sports cars in your drive every weekend :lol::blush:

Glad I read this, I was thinking of getting the Stillen gen 3 dual ultra longs and fitting them myself... decided on panel filters in the end. :blush:

Dude dont be put off by my calamity!

I'm not entirely sure where I went wrong though because there is no mention in any of the guides that you should use a different sized bolt and I'm sure Dan sent me everything he had (even the little screw for attatching the heat shield was in there).........can't understand what really went wrong - the bolts off the OEM airbox were about 3ml too long :shrug:

Christ - I'm supposed to be fitting a new radiator in the spare room tomorrow........think I might check the house insurance before hand for flood damage cover just to make sure!

:lol:

Well done for trying though :thumbs:

The popper clip thingys for the slam panel are evil, pure evil :blackeye:

there's a nack ;)

I've got a pot full of them so every time the bumper comes off, I just replace the broken ones :D

:lol:

Well done for trying though :thumbs:

The popper clip thingys for the slam panel are evil, pure evil :blackeye:

there's a nack ;)

I've got a pot full of them so every time the bumper comes off, I just replace the broken ones :D

+1 i have a pot of uprated ones :)

can't understand what really went wrong - the bolts off the OEM airbox were about 3ml too long :shrug:

There wasn't a little spacer on the OEM intake that's about 3mm thick is there that should have been moved across? (I have NO idea btw - just suggesting)

can't understand what really went wrong - the bolts off the OEM airbox were about 3ml too long :shrug:

There wasn't a little spacer on the OEM intake that's about 3mm thick is there that should have been moved across? (I have NO idea btw - just suggesting)

Not that I could see.....and I did look just in case I dropped something (cut forward to Monday when Ricey moves the door mat and finds a tasty looking spacer).....the MAF bit just came straight off and bolted flush on.

I had to do the entire thing huddled on my door mat under a half metre wide porch whilst the heavens pelted down around me so I can't of lost anything.