New SLR camera advice.

sparky370z

Hi people,

My mrs wants to get a camera. She wants an SLR jobby. I know nout about cameras and the such like. She is looking for a half decent entry level camera for a hobby.

My question is what is a good camera for about 400-550 quid.

I am not a brand whore as such but just need advice. I have been looking at a canon 450d and a 500d. Both are on eBay and have good kits with them.

Cheers for any advice.

Mark

a very quick summary for canon and nikon inperticular is that the fewer numbers in the name the higher it is up the scale :), as for which you should get for your budget you could get the entry level canon or nikons or new or go for second hand off somewhere like talkphotography and get the middle of the bunch.

my best bit of advice tbh is go to somewhere like jessops and actually get the mrs to hold/try the cameras as the cameras themselves whether they are nikon or canon at virtually the same just feel and work differently so its which ever suits her.

im a canon man just because at the time of my first camera it felt nicer and now im used to the menu plus have loads of canon accesories so didnt swap to nikon when i changed my camera although i would of considered it.

sony and olympus imo dont have the range of lenses available that canon and nikon do as they seem to dominate the dslr market imo, although sony and olympus are getting there :).

You can go for the standard big boys offerings but as a long term Pentax lover have a peep at theirs the K-x for example. I am waiting for the K7 to drop in price.

If you have a Costco card pop down they have the Panasonic Lumix for a good price :thumbs:

I'm looking at buying in the new year. Spoke to a mate whos keen and he just said 'Canon' but it's what he's used to.

I am going to have a play with his canon.... :lol::lol::lol::lol: and see if I like it! :scare: <----- I'm never saying that again! :lol::lol:

Right now (if I like the feel of it) I'm looking at the Canon 550D. It seems to be pretty decent. My reasoning is that it appears to be good for beginners however has enough stuff to keep my occupied without wanting to upgrade quickly!

Horses for courses though I guess.

I'm looking at buying in the new year. Spoke to a mate whos keen and he just said 'Canon' but it's what he's used to.

I am going to have a play with his canon.... :lol::lol::lol::lol: and see if I like it! :scare: <----- I'm never saying that again! :lol::lol:

Right now (if I like the feel of it) I'm looking at the Canon 550D. It seems to be pretty decent. My reasoning is that it appears to be good for beginners however has enough stuff to keep my occupied without wanting to upgrade quickly!

Horses for courses though I guess.

This was another I was looking at. Canon seems to be the best for beginners. Really good auto features but can be set for manual as well.

Good camera but it's also about the lenses as well.

I plan buying body only and buying a good lens that is suitable for what I want separately.

It's mental trying to choose. I watched a stack of reviews on You Tube last night too. Well worth watching actually.

I don't know why I like the 550...... I just do!

If I was you would go for a Manual SLR Film Camera. Get to understand F-Stops/depth of field etc etc. Once she understands all of this then go for DSLR. She will learn a lot more that way. It is a bit like driving a car. Would you learn to drive in a Ferrari?

My mrs has been looking over it and trying the functuntions. She is well happy.

The 500d shoot 1080p HD vids too. I just need to get her a higher class sd card now. Got a 16gb class 10 for 16 quid from eBay.

The photo quality is excellent. Just need how to use it properly now. Lol

The 550d was a bit too expensive and apparently there hasn't been that many changes from the 500d. According to the bloke in jessops.

Can't wait to get the car out and take some nice shots.

Sparky

People pleople why are you focusing (no pun intended) on the video capabilities of the camera - an SLR camera has to be good at taking static pictures first above anything else the HD video is just a gimmic, you will always get better results with a camcorder for video , although its nice to have both in the same unit I agree.

Cannon are good camera - I prefer them over Nikon who I personally think have been cutting costs recently and on some of their cameras it shows.

Good luck with your camera and once in a while ask her to play with the manual settings to see what results she gets - remember an auto setting does'nt cover every light condition they get fooled a lot :thumbs: