Exhaust repair/replacement query - 350z newbie...

new2350z

Hi I've a '03 350z GT (all original parts with 25k miles). The exhaust has just started blowing out and havent had a chance to take look underneath buy just have a few queries before I take it so repair and get fleeced as I no nothing about the exaust system:-

1. Is it a one piece unit or does it come in sections

2. Which sections tend to go - given mileage/age of car etc

3. How much for replacement system - not looking a fancy upgrade, just want good replacement part

4. Any recommendation of supplier or anyone on this site supply at good price (i'm in N.Ireland - Belfast area).

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers...

Hi I've a '03 350z GT (all original parts with 25k miles). The exhaust has just started blowing out and havent had a chance to take look underneath buy just have a few queries before I take it so repair and get fleeced as I no nothing about the exaust system:-

No, comes in numerous sections, Y-Pipe, centre section, backbox

I think flange at the centre section/backbox is rather prone

3. How much for replacement system - not looking a fancy upgrade, just want good replacement part

I would purchase an aftermarket system, Scorpion, k2 etc which are roughly £300, as a new Nissan exhaust can retail for £800 new. Alternatively there are plenty members on here with o/e exhauts in good condition that would be willing to sell for a good price.

4. Any recommendation of supplier or anyone on this site supply at good price (i'm in N.Ireland - Belfast area).

ZMANALEX? :lol:

Cheers, thanks for the info. Don't fancy spending £800 so may look into those aftermarket ones you listed. I've actually got some stuff of ZMANALEX (upgraded rear LED lights) and he was spot on to deal with so thanks for pointing me his direction. :thumbs: Just need to find now which section needs replaced - is it an easy enough job fitting - any guides on here?

Thanks

Hi mate,

This happened with mine shortly after I got the car. You can get it welded for not much money (cost me £70), which should sort it for a year or two but ultimately you will need to replace it. Personally I'm looking at a full new system from CobraSport up in Sheffield, they do good prices and will custom fit it to the car if you take it in.

Good luck :thumbs:

No, comes in numerous sections, Y-Pipe, centre section, backbox

I think flange at the centre section/backbox is rather prone

I would purchase an aftermarket system, Scorpion, k2 etc which are roughly £300, as a new Nissan exhaust can retail for £800 new. Alternatively there are plenty members on here with o/e exhauts in good condition that would be willing to sell for a good price.

ZMANALEX? :lol:

Please use the official forum smillie Stephen. :lol::lol::lol:

PMZMANALEXSMILEY16102010.gif

Sorry guys but the novelty will soon wear off :blush:

Hi mate,

This happened with mine shortly after I got the car. You can get it welded for not much money (cost me £70), which should sort it for a year or two but ultimately you will need to replace it. Personally I'm looking at a full new system from CobraSport up in Sheffield, they do good prices and will custom fit it to the car if you take it in.

Good luck :thumbs:

Yeah, found an assembly diagram online and it looks like a flange joint between pipe from back box and center box connection pipe. The flange has corroded off the back box pipe. So yeah think I'll look to get it welded if poss but know its short term fix. Would I need a complete back box and centre piiece if this joint if failed?...

Cheers

Would I need a complete back box and centre piiece if this joint if failed?...

I'd say that's the way to go - there is only so many times you can repair it before the flange will just become on big weld! Personally, I've looked at it as an opportunity to upgrade - loads of choices out there and plenty of discussion on here about them!