Garaging car for winter

BladesGrant

Just put the car in the garage for winter, any tips or advice on what I should do to ensure everything still works next year? I haven't ever had to winter a car before so not really sure what I should/shouldn't do. The only thing I am aware of is the battery, but want some information about wheels, brakes, engine etc etc. Any tips welcome. :thumbs:

And guess what, bloody beautiful day today in the midlands and could have had the roof down.................its October so be bad weather now!!! :rant::lol:

I think the best way to look after it would be to go for a 10-20 mile drive everyday, just to keep everything ticking over nicely :p

To be a bit more helpful I think you're supposed to put some more pressure into the tyres, I don't know how much though - maybe google would be able to tell you?

I would suggest leaving it in gear and not putting the handbrake on....You know it will stick and cause no end of problems, as for a 10-20 mile dash every day :shrug: you might as well keep it on the road...... :lol:

Have you SORN the car?

Also i would keep the washer bottle levels low, just in case they freeze, unlikely but it could happen.

Oh, and a car cover would be a benefit i suppose.

Might help............http://www.quillertriumph.co.uk/Quiller ... torage.htm

I would suggest leaving it in gear and not putting the handbrake on....You know it will stick and cause no end of problems, as for a 10-20 mile dash every day :shrug: you might as well keep it on the road...... :lol:

Have you SORN the car?

Also i would keep the washer bottle levels low, just in case they freeze, unlikely but it could happen.

Oh, and a car cover would be a benefit i suppose.

Yeah the car is SORN. Handbrake is off, car cover is on. Will I need to run it every so often just to keep everything tickerty boo? I can move it without taking it onto public roads albeit not miles but enough to get it a little warm and get it moving.

:bang: How have you managed to get the will power to do it! I've been toying with the idea for the last month or so - I know I should garage the car for winter but I just don't think I can go that long without driving her :dummy:

Trust me Vik I nearly shed a tear as I closed the garage door behind the car!!! :byebye:

I take mine off the road too in winter.

I Add 10psi or so to the tyres to stop them warping. As has been said before, in gear handbrake off.

A battery conditioner is a must, and start the car every 3 or 4 weeks or so. Let it warm right up though, not a quick 2 mins then off again. A good indoor cover keeps the dust off.

Oh and dont forget to go and look at it often, so it still feels loved :teeth:

I Add 10psi or so to the tyres to stop them warping. As has been said before, in gear handbrake off.

A battery conditioner is a must, and start the car every 3 or 4 weeks or so. Let it warm right up though, not a quick 2 mins then off again. A good indoor cover keeps the dust off.

A battery conditioner, similar to a trickle charger??

A battery conditioner, similar to a trickle charger??

Yes pretty much the same. I think the conditioner is better at monitoring the battery and charging accordingly.

bloody hell you lot, its not even winter yet, what are you all playing at??? you shouldn't garage a car until the first frost. same as soft tops, you don't put the hardtop on until first frost. there will be loads of days in october when you could be zedding. i drove to cov with the roof down on sunday and back again. even had it down while it was raining. just kept at 70 and didn't even get a little bit wet.

i can maybe understand if its freezing, but this is a zed not a ferrari :shrug: no different to half the RWD BMW that are out all year round or the merc's etc etc.

all i can say is ... bunch of garage queens :lol:

bloody hell you lot, its not even winter yet, what are you all playing at??? you shouldn't garage a car until the first frost. same as soft tops, you don't put the hardtop on until first frost. there will be loads of days in october when you could be zedding. i drove to cov with the roof down on sunday and back again. even had it down while it was raining. just kept at 70 and didn't even get a little bit wet.

i can maybe understand if its freezing, but this is a zed not a ferrari :shrug: no different to half the RWD BMW that are out all year round or the merc's etc etc.

all i can say is ... bunch of garage queens :lol:

I have also found that at just over 70 you don't get wet unless its massively throwing it down!!

I am only garaging mine this early due to the tax running our at the end of Sept and I didn't want to pay a full year when I am only going to get another couple of weeks in.

To be fair I think its a bit mad, its only a Nissan at the end of the day not a £400k supercar, its meant to be driven.

And as someone else said its only the same as all the rwd BMW's that are driven all year round.. fair enough leaving it at home due to ice and snow but october?...each to their own though!