How can i remove tar from the paintwork?

mrobinson2

I have been at the tar with a clay bar and it just hasnt shifted the larger lumps, only the tiny little ones. I spent a good 10 mins trying to get one bit off without any luck, dont really want to keep scrubbing as that will eventually screw with the paint!

Has anyone got anything they use to shift it? did a search but the search doesn't allow 3 letter words!

cheers

Michael.

As above, if your gonna use it with a trigger spray, make sure you get one with metal internals, as the tardis will dissolve the plastic ones lol

yeah i found that out with Rain X, thought it would be a good idea to transfer it to one of those cheapy spray bottles from B&Q but it leaks like hell now :lol:

I had this problem last weekend.

They layed new tarmac near work.

Some kind cat with tarred feet walked all over my car.

Big thick pawprints :yuck:

Clay wouldn't shift the really thick bits.

Soften with WD40, wiped, then clayed residue. Paint felt like glass but still marks left. Used an AIO sealant/cleanser (Carlack NSC) and the jobs a goodun :thumbs:

So a combination of all the recomendations worked for me.

My friends from the detailing world will tell you not to use clay as the first option to remove tar deposits, it is considered the final operation to remove small surface defects to generate a perfect finish to polish on. Generally a suitable degreasant is sprayed on first and then a gentle wash to follow. There are many purpose made tar removers on this planet, I use Meguiars and find them a top quality detailing provider. Rubbing away with clay and a lubricant can and does cause damage without care, therefore best to let a tar remover do its work first, without using any force.

No need to use any naughty words to do this just go on to Meguiars.uk or clean your car.co.uk or any reputable car cleaning site to find a suitable tar remover for the problem. :thumbs: