Thinking of noobs......

i know this probably isnt possible but i spied a pretty cool thing on a different forum. when you type the title of your topic it auto searches the forum for similarly titled topics for you to check out before you start typing your question.

if you can post a link to the forum in question and the mod is compatible with this forum (phpBB3) then we can maybe add it at some point :)

I think it might be quite handy to have the default search to return topic titles only and not post subjects and message text.

For example if you type in "brembo" you get 124 pages to wade through which may put noobs off :shrug:

If you just search "brembo" with topic titles then you get 5 pages. I would say that 60-70% (may be more) put the key word in the title.... "Sqeuaking Brembo Brakes"...."How do I fit uk brembo to my fairladyz?"...."Brembo disc change. Help required".

This will then make it easier for non-forum familiar peeps to find stuff.

Just a thought :thumbs:

search function works fine, and we do have detailed FAQs above all the relevant sections,

the issue is people are too lazy to look/read or move their mouse to the top right to click on a search button. why spend an hour or 2 learning about the car by reading up when you can repaeat the same question every other fecker asked before you.

its been going on since before i joined and will probably still be happening long after i'm gone.

its the way of the force, :shrug: happens on lots of forums.

search function works fine, and we do have detailed FAQs above all the relevant sections,

the issue is people are too lazy to look/read or move their mouse to the top right to click on a search button. why spend an hour or 2 learning about the car by reading up when you can repaeat the same question every other fecker asked before you.

its been going on since before i joined and will probably still be happening long after i'm gone.

its the way of the force, :shrug: happens on lots of forums.

I know the search function works well, you know it works well, husky knows it works well, I was just thinking of the Nooobs who dont/cant be bothered... its just easier for them to put up a new post

By the way what's an indow? :shrug:

My personal opinion. :blush:

I joined this forum and it was the first forum I had ever been on. I didnt know where to start. It was a fair time before I even noticed the search function and certainly a bit longer before I knew how to use it.

Having been around for a while I can now pretty much find anything so if a new member is struggling I will find what he wants and post a link. They then feel that this is a friendly forum and keep coming back.

Simples. :)

My personal opinion. :blush:

I joined this forum and it was the first forum I had ever been on. I didnt know where to start. It was a fair time before I even noticed the search function and certainly a bit longer before I knew how to use it.

Having been around for a while I can now pretty much find anything so if a new member is struggling I will find what he wants and post a link. They then feel that this is a friendly forum and keep coming back.

Simples. :)

i do the same martin, it was more pointing out that this is nothing new; i'm all for helping the noobs, but i'm also aware that i wouldn't want to create more work for the admins creating something that i'm not 100% would really improve the situation.

but if it improves the website and increases membership then it can;t be all bad. :thumbs:

Got to agree with Martin......this is the first forum I've really activly used and I did find the search facility a bit confusing at first.

Hence my first post really.....'how nice are you lot'. I think you lot show so much patience with newbies - I will admit that I wouldn't actually post a question that I know will already be here....I'd of just struggled with the searches.......thats purely on the basis of not wanting to get on anyones nerves really :blush: dont worry - I know how to use it now!!

I think most newbies just need poking in the right direction. That predictive search thingy Husky mentioned would be ace!!