19" tire replacement / juggling. Help needed!

slimjim

So I have my new car... my first RWD motor :yahoo:

But I think my wheels/tyres could do with a little more oophf.

When I bought the car two weeks ago it had...

http://www.madmotors.co.uk/alloy-wheels ... tyres.html

Front: Vredestien Ultrac - Sessanta 225 - 40 ZR19

Rear: Avon - ZZ3 - 255/35/R19

Can people give me some advice?

1. I think that the fronts re OK, no real wear on them and as they are Vredestien's I think I will keep them.

2. What SIZE tire do I need? A few peeps have said I need a different over all radius on the back to the front...

3. If I can't get hold of the Vredestien's for the back for a week or so, would it be safer for me to switch the fronts and backs round?

Any advice would be great :thumbs:

(Cheers to Demolition49, Captain and Husky for the advice so far)

You should go back to the seller and ask for correct wheel fitments to give the extra width at rear and enable you to get tyres with the correct rolling radii :surrender:

Yeah... tricky to do when the owner BEFORE the previous owner put them on.

I just want to know the best way to be safe with what I have got.

Suggestions peeps?

If it was me I think I would get some second hand Rays and sell the ones you have :thumbs: At least then you will have every thing in proportion. You may be able to pick up some rays with tyres and not be too much out of pocket after selling you existing set-up

If the alloys as the wrong size then I think there is not a lot you can do :shrug:

They should be at least 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. If correct size wheels are not an option then I would at lease make sure you have the same rubber all round. :thumbs:

If the alloys you have are £799 each........ then surely you can sell them for enough to replace with std RAYS & tyres :shrug::shrug:

They should be at least 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. If correct size wheels are not an option then I would at lease make sure you have the same rubber all round. :thumbs:

If the alloys you have are £799 each........ then surely you can sell them for enough to replace with std RAYS & tyres :shrug::shrug:

Yup, you are spot on my good man. I NEED new alloys.

But I will have to fork out for new ones first, then sell the other ones.

Don't have the cash to front that at the moment.

The current alloys have spacers on, so they "look" right.

Just wanted to know what the standard rolling wheel radio us os for front and back, so I can match it. Even if the widths are wrong for the time being.

If the alloys you have are £799 each........:

I think it was £799 for a set of four including tyres, according to the website.

No idea. They were on when I bought her two weeks ago.

Just want to make her safer ASAP for the winter. Then I will buy better in the spring :teeth:

If the alloys you have are £799 each........:

I think it was £799 for a set of four including tyres, according to the website.

:doh: its been a long day...... been up since 4am :yawn::yawn:

What width are your wheels? Are they staggered 8.5 and 9.5?

If so, you should be running 245/35/19 on the front and 275/35/19 on the rear.

If its rolling radius then xxx/35/19 is what you want :thumbs:

I am sure some one else will be along to confirm :D

Rolling Radius calculator here http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html - note the video is awful and has been slagged off before so don't bother posting about it

the original sizes are Front 8J x 18 wheels with 225/45r18 tyres so the RR is 660mm

the original rears are 8.5J x 18 with 245/45r18 for a RR of 678mm

225/40r19 has an RR of 663mm so the existing Ultrac Sessantas will be ok on the front :thumbs:

You need 2 more for the rear, size 245/40r19 (this has RR of 679 so is a good match to the original size).

Camskills have Sessantas in the right size for £189.10 each :yahoo:

IF you decide to do something else, make sure you get ALL 4 tyres from the same manufacturer AND the same tread pattern and compound

Rolling Radius calculator here http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html - note the video is awful and has been slagged off before so don't bother posting about it

the original sizes are Front 8J x 18 wheels with 225/45r18 tyres so the RR is 660mm

the original rears are 8.5J x 18 with 245/45r18 for a RR of 678mm

225/40r19 has an RR of 663mm so the existing Ultrac Sessantas will be ok on the front :thumbs:

You need 2 more for the rear, size 245/40r19 (this has RR of 679 so is a good match to the original size).

Camskills have Sessantas in the right size for £189.10 each :yahoo:

IF you decide to do something else, make sure you get ALL 4 tyres from the same manufacturer AND the same tread pattern and compound

Fantastic, cheers Rich!

:thumbs:

Just got the same numbers/advise from Husky on a different thread.

Thanks to you both!