Number plates

chrisjones6699

There's been a lot of chat on legislation of number plates recently so I thought I would ask this whilst the law is fresh in everybody's heads.

I've been wanting to put black and silver plates (old style) on my Zed for a while now and i know that your car has to be registered before something like 1974 to have them legally. I just want to know if there is any way around this and what would happen if I put them on and I was stopped? Would the excuse "i've been to a show and they are my show plates and i forgot to swap them back over" be a valid excuse or would the police throw the book at me?

Cheers! :thumbs:

Obviously this is a crap, quick, photoshop job but does it really look that bad? I appreciate honesty! ;)

I think it looks crap, I keep seeing people with them on and they just look cheesy. As said above, best bet is to get the most uncluttered and simple plate so everyone looks at ur car rather than the plate!

In 1973 the appearance of registration plates was changed for the first time since 1903. From 1 January, vehicles were required to have reflective number plates - black on white at the front and black on yellow at the back. Reflective plates were introduced so that unlit vehicles could be seen more easily at night. The regulations also provided for the size, shape and character of registration marks.

Therfore the law states its illegal to display your number plate as it is.

The consequences are as following if the police stop you.

1. they will do nothing andf let you go, (probably not happen)

2. you will receive a none endorsable fixed penalty £30

3. At best be issued with a VDRS (vehicle defect rectification scheme) ticket which allows you 14 days to rectify the plate, take t to an MOT centre and return the endored ticket resulting in no further action.

The choice is yours.

To be honest its a no brainer for any copper who is bored to pull you over and i'm pretty sure they have heard "i'm on my way home from a show and forgot to take the show plates off" quite a few times :dry:

Also is it true if you are caught 3 times for the same offence your car can be seized and crushed? :shrug:

not true at all

Fair enough, it was pub talk :drunk:

I'm sure if you kept on just putting it back on the fines would get steeper though wouldn't they :shrug:

I have a Leon with FR57 EON spaced out as FR5 7EON, but with legal lettering, if I got stopped then fair enough I have another original plate, it has its first MOT in december should I be worried?

Interestingly we have ANPR system at work with electronic gates and I have tried everything to get the Leon plate to work but it wont.... so you can see why people do get stopped I guess, there was a rumour they were gonna put ANPR on all London buses front and back, good idea I reckon....

I have a Leon with FR57 EON spaced out as FR5 7EON, but with legal lettering, if I got stopped then fair enough I have another original plate, it has its first MOT in december should I be worried?

I wouldn't worry ..... at least not until you get a ticket

The fine will always remain the same if given a fixed penalty ticket £30.

BUT if you are consitsantly stopped by the same officer they may decide to summons you to court. Then the magistrates may impose a greater fine but still can not confiscate your plates.