Bloody F***ING careless fool!

Demolition49

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surly a claim is when you're the one who caused damage. You have caused no damage so you're not claiming for anything! Someone please tell me I'm right because if I'm wrong then what the hell is the point of insurance if you have to pay if someone hits you!?

OMG 3rd attempt at putting this post on! Bloody stupid work browsers!

You would think so wouldn't you however the question states 'Does the driver have any claims or accidents regardless of fault within the last 3 years'.

Common sense would suggest that a 'not at fault' claim would not affect your premium.......but is does for some inexplicable reason.

As an example I've got a dud 'test' quote on Admiral Multicar so I can check out how much a new car will cost me. For the lancer and an import Zed it was £1002. Just added in a 'not at fault' and 'NCB not lost' claim and it jumps up to £1099.

No excess to pay if it's not your fault, but your premium will go up a little next time :thumbdown:

Hopefully Irh is right but when I claimed through my insurance in a similar situation I had to pay the excess and only received a refund when my insurance company successfully recovered from the other party.......my understanding reading between the lines is that if they don't recover (i.e no insurance or no liability) then you stand the cost of the excess.

I've been wrong before though.

Unfortunately because he naffed off without leaving details alls you can really do is notify the police and claim through your insurance in the hope that they can establish contact from his reg details (they have a system called Hunter - or some such insurance equivilent - to find who he's insured with).

Sorry for waffling on but I DESPISE people like this and the insurance companies with their bloody small print! :angry:

Hope you sort it mate.

Surly a claim is when you're the one who caused damage. You have caused no damage so you're not claiming for anything! Someone please tell me I'm right because if I'm wrong then what the hell is the point of insurance if you have to pay if someone hits you!?

OMG 3rd attempt at putting this post on! Bloody stupid work browsers!

You would think so wouldn't you however the question states 'Does the driver have any claims or accidents regardless of fault within the last 3 years'.

Common sense would suggest that a 'not at fault' claim would not affect your premium. As an example I've got a dud 'test' quote on Admiral Multicar so I can check out how much a new car will cost me. For the lancer and an import Zed it was £1002. Just added in a 'not at fault' and 'NCB not lost' claim and it jumps up to £1099.

Thats F**king ridiculous!!!! :rant: Another reason to hate insurance (rip off) companies!! I wonder if it says anywhere in the small print, 'if anyone touches your car, we'll rip you off a little bit more than before even though it wasn't your fault!'? :angry:

If you have an excess on your policy you will have to pay it if you claim. The insurance company may waive it before you pay if they think the case is strong and they will get their money back, or refund it later if they do get the money back from the other guy's insurers. However, they are neither obliged to waive it or reclaim it for you - it is an "uninsured loss". Check your policy terms to be sure as different companies vary.

If your insurers recover everything they pay out they should restore your NCB. Again, as said above, some use the fact that you actually had an accident, albeit non-fault, to raise your premium come renewal. IIRC Admiral rely on stats to say that if you have had a non-fault accident you are more likely to be involved in another accident! :wacko:

Check your policy to see if you have legal expense cover. You can use this to pay for a claim for any "uninsured losses" you do not recover from your own insurer. You may also have it on your household policy or credit card.

To the guy who suggested it would be a Cat D - I very much doubt it for such minor damage.

HTH. :)

IIRC Admiral rely on stats to say that if you have had a non-fault accident you are more likely to be involved in another accident! :wacko:

.................Bell Ends!!!

Thats the biggest pile of crap i've ever heard! Thats like saying "I watched a air disaster documentary last night so my chances of being in a plane crash are higher"!!!.................OK rubbish comparison but you get what I mean!? :wacko:

Thats the biggest pile of crap i've ever heard!

Not really. If you drive at times and in places where accidents are more likely to happen, there's a higher probability you'll be involved in another, possibly your fault next time. They're no mugs, it's all based on statistics ;)

Rubbish has it sounds he does speak the truth.

Get a load of this - when I was 19 I was broken into and for some insane reason I claimed on my insurance even though less than £100 of stuff was nicked.

At the point of renewal I asked for a quote from Halifax who I worked for at the time. They told me they would not insure me as I had a claim for theft from a motor vehicle and I was therefore statistically more likely to be broken into again as I was likely to visit and park in the same places.

As I worked for them I pressed for a quote and as an extra special case they offered to insure me....on my 1.4 1995 Ibiza for the princely sum of £2300......errrrrrm no fanks!

They were right though! I was broken into again within 6 months..........but in a totally differnt area! :lol:

Ok so i reported the incident to the police(went down to the local station), supplied them with pics, map of where it happened and filled out a long form and described the events that took place... (rothers i put down what you said) i called my insurers and let them know about the accident, but before i go ahead and submit a claim against his insurance i want to know if im going to end up with having to declare a claim!?

Thanks to everybody for all your help :thumbs:

I will keep you all updated :)

My humble opinion dude.........yes.

As I said you sound a pretty straight up guy so I'm sure you wouldn't ahem *forget* about declaring it but always remember that its in an insurance companies interest to find a way of weasling out of a claim.

You'll hear a disclaimer when you call your insurance company (usually) which says 'insurance companies will share information with one another to prevent fraud'.

In mortgages (my field) we use a system called Hunter - you apply to Halifax declaring £30k income and get declined.......then you apply to us declaring £50k so you fit criteria - we'll know about it via a 'Hunter Match' and ping you for a fraudulent application.

Same or similar system used for the insurance industry I think - if you go to your next insurer and declare no accidents (regardless of fault) they could pick you up on this system based on the info from your current insurer and decline you..........then they can (but probably wouldn't) 'load' you onto another system called CIFAS (Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System) for insurance fraud (very very very unlikely they would bother as they've already avoided any risk with you but it is an option to them).

You get loaded into CIFAS.........you might as well forget about getting whatever you were loaded for in the future. You'll never be automatically accepted for anything (credit/insurance) without referral to the underwriters/risk department :nono:

Ok so i reported the incident to the police(went down to the local station), supplied them with pics, map of where it happened and filled out a long form and described the events that took place... (rothers i put down what you said) i called my insurers and let them know about the accident, but before i go ahead and submit a claim against his insurance i want to know if im going to end up with having to declare a claim!?

Thanks to everybody for all your help :thumbs:

I will keep you all updated :)

:#1:

Report him to the police for failing to stop and report it to your insurance company and give them his reg and the photos. Tell them he refused to give you details. Let them deal with it.

Definitely don't let the ****er get away with it.

Hi mate,

Hope you get this sorted - I think you're showing a lot of integrity and trying to do everything correctly. Fair play for keeping your cool with people like that.

Despite all the good advice on here, the only people you definitely tell you what will happen to your excess and so on is your insurers. Best to just keep open communication with them. The main thing is that you have evidence - even with the fuzzy pic of his plate I reckon the police would easily be able to confirm the vehicle.

Needless to say I'd love to see the guy who bumped you get his comeuppance.

Good luck :thumbs:

My insurance claims dept arnt open untill tuesday so ive got to wait untill then to put in a claim/ get advise... im still in 2 minds about putting a claim in... i really dont need to pay an excess + go to court for a ding in the back + possibly have a premium increse...

what about the cost of my time+grief!

What sort of repair would be needed for that kind of damage anyway? The bumper is plastic and if you look closely enough is slightly out of shape now, so sand+fill then respray?

The system isnt really fair with this kind of thing.... :shrug:

Does anybody know what will happen now ive reported the incident to the police? Will they contact him?

I had a similar bump recently, a good bodyshop won't use filler because it will fall out over time.

My repair cost £313 with VAT but the girl who hit me paid for it in cash. My damage was only minor too but it could have cracked the bumper and or damaged the crash barr and this you won't know about until after a few weeks later when the paint starts to crack which just gets worse.

The bumpers cost a fortune about £800 so your minor bump could result in a large bill that you hadn't thought.]

Also make sure you read your insurance terms and conditions, my policy said I had to report any incidents within 48 hours even if it was just for information.

You've got his reg get him to pay for it! I would do it just because he acted like a ass!

if your insurance do get hold of him , can you give him the option of settling outside of the insurance?

saves any hassle then ?

I know my sis went to the cops after someone hit her , the police sent the said person a letter.

5 days later the dad of the son who nudged her car was round with his cheque book open

You should have stated in your police report that he seemed to be staggering slightly and slurring his words. :drunk::D

Was this him?

Im eering towards the side of not putting in a claim on my insurance guys for such small damage i may lose and pay for it with my bloody premium going up... after all im only 21... :thumbdown:

Mate dont let us scare you now ;) Go ahead with the police report but leave the insurance company for now until you can gauge if you'll be getting squat for this guy.

I've been in your boat before with the age/insurance thing. Its a bloody tightrope. Do what I've done and set up a dummy quote on your insurers website - just call yourself Mr Test Test (otherwise it'll detect from your name that you've got a policy and direct you to the Customer Services line :angry: ). Play around with adding an accident - not at Fault and see how it affects you.

It shouldn't be that bad but as my prev post shows........it hit me for nearly £100 (I'm 28 with the missus - also 28 - as the main driver on the mythical Zed that we're never actually going to frigging buy because we unrealistically expect to buy a minter for 9k from a garage :wacko:).

Like Anders said - don't be scared off by us lot........we're just preparing you for the worst that could happen. If the cops gee him up you might be able to claim direct from him in which case 'simples' and your smiling - he might even offer to pay :teeth: