New laptop time, any one experienced this one?!

shire350Z

After a new laptop and not wanting to spend a fortune, found this Acer aspire 5732Z on Ebuyer and seems a good buy for the money especially with 4GB RAM and a 500GB Hard Drive!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179792

Will only be using it for browsing the web, downloading and storing music and storing information for work!

Any advice would be great :thumbs:

Also after some decents laptop speakers and found these two sets, will probally go for the more expensive of the two unless someone has a better reccomendation

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119155

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/95425

Looks like a good buy to me. We have acers at home and have had no issue.

The only possible thing I would look at is if the operating system needs to be windows 7 64bit. Some progams may not like the 64 bit operating system, but Ive not had that much experience and some of these incompatibilities may have been ironed out, and Windows 7 may have some pretty good "compatibility mode" setup so it can run as 32 bit when needed.

I also think if you get a license for 64 bit, you can always install 32 bit at a later date if you want to.

Im sure others will have more experience with the 64 bit OS and can advise if Im just talking crap above :lol:

Looks like a good buy to me. We have acers at home and have had no issue.

The only possible thing I would look at is if the operating system needs to be windows 7 64bit. Some progams may not like the 64 bit operating system, but Ive not had that much experience and some of these incompatibilities may have been ironed out, and Windows 7 may have some pretty good "compatibility mode" setup so it can run as 32 bit when needed.

I also think if you get a license for 64 bit, you can always install 32 bit at a later date if you want to.

Im sure others will have more experience with the 64 bit OS and can advise if Im just talking crap above :lol:

I run 64bit Win 7 and have not had any issues with software, as long as your not using really old software i.e Office 2000 etc. Some new laptops only come with a recovery partition no original OS disk... make sure you ask for one :thumbs:

My Win7 Ultimate came with 32 and 64 bit editions, so the others should too :thumbs::thumbs:

Tbh I wouldn't consider running a 32bit OS anymore these days as all the niggles of when they first came out have pretty much been eradicated with Vista and Win7. Certainly I've had no troubles over the last few years :thumbs:

Also Acer laptops are ace (excuse the pun!), I've had about 10 off them for work and personal use in the last few years and I'll happily go there again.

Thats right doogyrev but im never going to need more than 4GB RAM for what i need so thats not a problem so for the £30 more for 1GB RAM and 250 HD seems a baragain over the other one. The more expensive of the two seems to be running a slightly less powerfull processor but dont think thats much to worry about is it? :lol:

Thats right doogyrev but im never going to need more than 4GB RAM for what i need so thats not a problem so for the £30 more for 1GB RAM and 250 HD seems a baragain over the other one. The more expensive of the two seems to be running a slightly less powerfull processor but dont think thats much to worry about is it? :lol:

:thumbs::thumbs:

All the Acers I have seen have been spot on, The crystal LCD screens look very nice B)

Which ones are they dave?! found these at £70 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170161

They seem to be middle of the road you posted up :thumbs:

PC World are doing then for £39.99 reduced from £59.99 :thumbs:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/logitech-z323-2-1-pc-speakers-black-03065122-pdt.html?srcid=198&xtor=SEC-96-GOO&mctag=gg_goog_7904&gclid=CLnO8Zbq1KMCFc792AodYWLWvA

As for the OS, the question on whether you'll get 32 bit and 64 bit with your laptop. The answer will generally be No. If you buy OEM software you only get the one you buy. Laptops will generally come with OEM Operating Systems and as such will only be supplied with the one you buy. But as someone else said I wouldn't worry I'm running a 64 bit Windows 7 and as of yet I haven't had to try to find out how good the compatibility mode is as I haven't come across anything I need that doesn't run fine and I'm still using Office 2003 so it's not the latest software

As for speakers USB powered means your battery (if using the laptop on battery) will drain quicker. Also generally Mains powered ones will be better. I would go for a nice cheap(ish) 2.1 speaker system if it's for music