Plenum removal UPDATE - Back on + silly mistake!

djrm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wd40 won't help, doubt even plusgas would as its not rusted. the throttle body allen bolts are put in place with a tiny amount of thread lock if i remember rightly so the first crack will do it, after that takeing them on and off is easy.

also when you do the main bolts up use a torque wrench as the settin gis very low, they actually tighten up after a few heat cycles. if you over tighten them, and then run a few heat cycles you can make them very hard to remove or worse.

wd40 won't help, doubt even plusgas would as its not rusted. the throttle body allen bolts are put in place with a tiny amount of thread lock if i remember rightly so the first crack will do it, after that takeing them on and off is easy.

also when you do the main bolts up use a torque wrench as the settin gis very low, they actually tighten up after a few heat cycles. if you over tighten them, and then run a few heat cycles you can make them very hard to remove or worse.

Thanks mate, I readto tighten them back up to 100inch/pounds using a torque wrench...

It is quite a loud crack too so don't panic and think you have snapped the bolt! Also try not to throw the throttle body around too much as I seem to remember someone telling me they can be a little temperamental. Once the plenum is polished you will notice how crap the throttle body looks too, I just cleaned mine up then sprayed it with heat resistant silver paint.

the TB is horribly sensitive. what ever you do don't move/touch the butterfly valve. car ECU sensors everything can have a habit of going into a right spasm; and throw a hissy fit.

OK mate thanks, I will be extra careful when taking it off and removing the plenum from around it :)

the TB is horribly sensitive. what ever you do don't move/touch the butterfly valve. car ECU sensors everything can have a habit of going into a right spasm; and throw a hissy fit.

Never had an issue doing that when I've been cleaning the throttle body and done it a few times.

RIGHT! I got it off and have started polishing, first with wire brush attachments on a drill... this is my progress after about an hour.. :)

1261d7ba.jpg

306626cf.jpg

Also, when re-assembling, is there anything I should clean / watch out for? Like I have read to be sure not to catch the seal and tear it etc... Is there anything else?? :)

Everything look ok here?

2bc7a2ad.jpg

Seal seems good to me ;)

e97db36a.jpg

All looks okay there mate. It is well worth the effort to get that plenum shiny. I was pretty nervous the first time I took it off too, but you will be fine after you've done the procedure once through and find that your car is still okay afterwards.

Just double check all bolts and hoses afterwards. That hose you asked about - I forgot to reattach it once. My first roundabout was more interesting than normal... :scare:

Did you clean the lower plenum? Looks clean if you did not.

No I didnt :) I thought it looked pretty good!

What is the best way to clean it right up? Clean cloth?

clean cloth and some carb cleaner.

Thanks ;)

I note you are missing a plenum spacer...

+1 get it bought :p

cover over the open engine if you have the plenum off for a while, dont want any nasties getting in ;)

Lol plenum spacer is on the list... ;)

I covered it with a dry cloth then closed the bonnet :)

5a3fe8e0.jpg

Got it back in after a bit polishing!

Would love to get it a bit more perfect but I need the car tonight.... I will take it off sometime again and buff it right up but for now it looks a hell of a lot better :)

Only thing is while doing up the allen's holding the throttle body on, I dropped an allen key down toward the exhaust manifold at the back :blush: Stupid I know.... Are there any moving parts that side of the engine?? I looked everywhere for the thing but it's dissapeared!! When it dropped I heard a noise as if it landed on the floor or something metallic... ideas on where it might be??? Is it unwise to start the car??? :(