sound deadening - which to get ?

neo

fitted my headunit and speakers a few weeks ago and even with this basic setup the doors are rattling when it's turned up :blush:

searched on here and came up with a few products, some are a bit expensive for me but have found this -

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent- ... -pack.html

does any one know if it's any good and would it be enough to do the doors and parts of the boot ?

fitted my headunit and speakers a few weeks ago and even with this basic setup the doors are rattling when it's turned up :blush:

searched on here and came up with a few products, some are a bit expensive for me but have found this -

does any one know if it's any good and would it be enough to do the doors and parts of the boot ?

Talk audio, pm a guy called loudboy (Darren) tell him you want some 2.5mm foil backed deadening. Its much cheaper and better.

:thumbs:

Or get yourself some lead flashing tape, about £5 for a huge roll. Lasts forever, much cheaper than dynamat et al and just as good.

No thats a myth its crap and messy.

I would say its far from a myth. For certain application it can do the job very well for a very little outlay. You may often need a few layers of it to get the same effect as Dynamat but in the right setup it can be the right stuff to go with.

Or get yourself some lead flashing tape, about £5 for a huge roll. Lasts forever, much cheaper than dynamat et al and just as good.

No thats a myth its crap and messy.

I would say its far from a myth. For certain application it can do the job very well for a very little outlay. You may often need a few layers of it to get the same effect as Dynamat but in the right setup it can be the right stuff to go with.

It gets messy if it gets hot. The principal to sound deadening is to add mass. flashing tape isnt a great way to do that. Also did you do a direct comaparson with the same audio gear?

Generally if your using flashing tape your system is going to sound rubbish. Why do people use second skin and loudboys stuff. It is great at the job and isnt that expensive. Flashing tape I can assure you isnt as good. I used it and when I got some proper sound deadening which was cheap brown bread and Ivanhoe they where much much better. Try talk audio for more details. :thumbs:

Isn't dynamat expensive and very heavy?

Yes and kinda. There are cheaper things out there which do a better job. Its kinda heavy. Sound deadening needs mass for it to work. On my clio I had 4mm loudboy stuff that was heavy.

Yes and kinda. There are cheaper things out there which do a better job. Its kinda heavy. Sound deadening needs mass for it to work. On my clio I had 4mm loudboy stuff that was heavy.

Original quote - expensive is a reflection of value and weight is relative. So no would be my answer.

I really don't get why people on here get into these cars and then advocate cutting corners each time they mod something.... :wacko:

And sound deadening does not need mass for it to work. Why are studio walls covered in 'egg box' foam? It needs a pattern and / or material to absorb the frequencies. It also depends what the resonant frequency of the material you are applying the deadening to. Check some of the simple tests you can see where a 1" square piece of Dynamat Xtreme renders a cymbal complete tuneless vs some of the other 'bargains' out there..... :)

Lets agree to disagree then. I am fully aware of Talk Audio and have been on there for too many years. I have seem many a big high DB install use flashing. As I said its all about for the right job. As you said its messy and it would be suicidal to use it on door skins (unless you want some black windows on a hot day) but there are certainly some applications for the stuff.

(And yes I have done a direct comparison)

Lets agree to disagree then. I am fully aware of Talk Audio and have been on there for too many years. I have seem many a big high DB install use flashing. As I said its all about for the right job. As you said its messy and it would be suicidal to use it on door skins (unless you want some black windows on a hot day) but there are certainly some applications for the stuff.

(And yes I have done a direct comparison)

BTW I am not saying that other products don't have their places, I am suggesting that flashing tape and Dynamat aren't interchangeable, more that you use them for different applications.

Original quote - expensive is a reflection of value and weight is relative. So no would be my answer.

I really don't get why people on here get into these cars and then advocate cutting corners each time they mod something.... :wacko:

And sound deadening does not need mass for it to work. Why are studio walls covered in 'egg box' foam? It needs a pattern and / or material to absorb the frequencies. It also depends what the resonant frequency of the material you are applying the deadening to. Check some of the simple tests you can see where a 1" square piece of Dynamat Xtreme renders a cymbal complete tuneless vs some of the other 'bargains' out there..... :)

Not really second skin isnt as expensive as dynamat nor is slient coat. Getting a better product isnt cutting cornors, dynamat just isnt that good. Loudboys 4mm stuff is great and cheap.

here is pic of his 4mm stuff vs damplifier pro

sDSCN0582.jpg

the 4mm stuff was used in my clio running a RE XXX 15" port tuned to 32hz. It was silly loud as it was facing the up so I got the horn effect aswell. No pannel ratttle. He also does a 2.5mm foil backed one.

If the doors where about 3 metres thick then yes soft absorbing materials are great but you dont have that option. Mass is generally the best way to stop panel rattle and sound deaden the areas. In a boot you could have a sub box and on the sides stuff it with towels. this does a great job of stopping vibrations but you cant do that on a door.

Also as Rob has said I personaly never found flashing tape to be great but that doesnt matter its messy. If your car is in the sun and you roll down the windows sometimes they get stuck and you get the glue on them. Personally in the last 12 months I havent seen anyone do anything with flashing tape. Generally its considerered crap.

All IMO of course.

Talk audio, pm a guy called loudboy (Darren) tell him you want some 2.5mm foil backed deadening. Its much cheaper and better.

is the forum - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/ :blush:

thanks for the views and advice, will do some more research :)

is the forum - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/ :blush:

thanks for the views and advice, will do some more research :)

Yes thats the one. :thumbs:

I have dynamat on big flat panels, this is to absorb rattles - not to block sound. I also have luxury liner pro lining my doors and boot etc. This is to block sound from outside. It does weigh a bit but it takes mass to block low frequency sound waves from outside. I read a comment about studios having egg box foam, this is to stop reflections, nothing to do with blocking sound. This would be done with a lead liner in the wall AFAIK.

Are there any guides on here as to where to fit sound deadening, I got a couple of sheets of brown bread and just stuck it in my boot under where the wheel goes :blush: made a bit of a hash of it but it still made a difference.

I would like to have a go at doing the boot properly and then maybe the doors, ive seen guides on here for removing door cards etc and have searched but cant find a guide to fitting sound deadening, pics would be good :thumbs: