Mitsubishi Eclipse

JetSet

Unfortunately, these are only available in LHD but I managed to get my hands on one on a recent trip to The U.S.A. I'd actually booked a compact but this was all the rental company had :lol: Here she is at a rest stop in Wyoming.

P6261682.jpg?t=1280612192

Off roading in Utah.

P7021822.jpg?t=1280612766

Back in Denver and the car is looking a bit sad with the space saver wheel

P1010402.jpg?t=1280613020

Here's why I had to use the space saver. A total blowout at 70 on a freeway, nasty

P7101956.jpg?t=1280613190

Actually, not a bad car at all. Quite comfy and the build quality was reasonable. This one had the 3.8 engine with about 240 hp but after driving a zed it felt a bit sluggish.

Pete

That's what happens with under inflated tyres. I had the same problem although the tyres looked inflated correctly (very low profile) they were actually under stress and split in exactly the same way.

The car hmmm it's got vauxhall Tigra doors, new megane front wings but the rear??? :yuck:

am i the only one who likes the car? lol wouldnt buy one but for a rental car its not bad esp if u were expecting a cheap runaround. only thing i dont like is the chrome rear lights but it looked not bad in 2f2f

much prefer the old one tho

blowout musta been scary lol how fast were u going?

O.K, some answers..I was doing approx 70 in lane 2 on a 4 lane interstate when it happened. One thing I've noticed is that in The U.S. you quite often see stretches of road that have had the surface scraped off awaiting repair. Well, about 2 miles before the blowout I went over one of these roads and I noticed the car was sliding about a lot so I reduced my speed, once I got onto normal road everything seemed O.K....I realize now that it must have been under inflated. After the blowout I just lifted off and steered it onto the hard shoulder, luckily right under a bridge and was able to get the car behind a handily placed barrier.

As far as the rental goes the conversation went something like this..."Sorry, but we don't have a compact, but we'll upgrade you for free" ..."How do you fancy a Hummer?" "Have you got anything a bit smaller", I asked "Well, we've got plenty of SUV's", No I said, something a bit smaller than that. Well, he said we have a Mitsubishi Eclipse, it's that one out there. I took one look and said yes. :)

Actually, I quite liked the car, it was comfortable, easy to drive (an auto) , just a bit tight on luggage space. BTW, The next time I visited The States, once again there were no compacts available and I finished up with a free upgrade to a Ford Explorer SUV :)

Pete