Insurance renewal :(

Jay

I just got a wee letter through the door stating that my insurance is almost up and would I like to renew it with bell.......... they want £950 :thumbdown::surrender:

I am 23 coming up for 24 in a few months..... been driving for 6 years...... 3 year ncb and a clean license..... they norm have always given me a good quote but that is just a little much this time.

Can anyone recommend a company who they have used lately?

ooooff thats a bit steep hon!

First step get a quote from Bell online as a new customer and see if it comes out cheaper and try "Go compare"....have you tried any of the forum insurers? They've never managed to do it for me but some members get good deals through them :shrug:

I know tell me about it vik....... I almost died :lol: Yup I went in to bell as a new customer but they wanted 10 quid more :thumbdown: I havent tried any of the forum ones as I think my age may be a problem. grrrr :lol: I went on go compare 1600 bucks was the cheapest :lol::surrender:

Hi Jay.

I'm exactly the same as you, 23 y/o (24 in Sept.), 3 years no claims, I actually have 3 points on my licence that come off Nov. this year (Insurance Co. didn't actually care about these anyway). I'm with Admiral and started back in March for £930 roughly :p .

I know Admiral, Bell and a few others are behind the scenes the same company, but try them online on their OWN website, you get like 10% off just for doing it through their online quote service! :thumbs:

Its all about postcodes aswell. U stay in a g postcode so that will probs bring it up.(even though it's a posh are) :lol:;)

I'm 22, 0 no claims, crash just over a yr ago @4500, driving just under 5 years 1012 quid my renewal came in for 10months

there is something screwy going on with insurance. I'm currently paying £450 for 12 months insurance with AXA, I tried getting a quote with some different insurence people recently and was getting £1000+ quotes! I tried AXA again to see what they would give me and they said £1200 and NOTHING has changed! same address, same NCD no convictions or accidents! just seems like they feel like ripping people off now

I don't know whats going on with insurance companies either...

last year my renewal cost £672 through greenlight (and that was an increase on the year before), this year its quoted as £897 !! and the excess has been put up from £300 to £450!! :rant:

I'm 31, 9 years protected ncb, my last points were in april '06, and the only thing different is I've had a windscreen replaced recently.

I can't understand why I'm more of a risk now?

My renewal come through for £1370.00 from elephant. driving for 3.5 yrs, 3yrs nc. Couldn't get it any cheaper on go compare. It was £1150.00 last yr!! I rang them and changed the value of my car and yearly mileage, this knocked off 95.00. I then lied and said i could get £1300.00 for 12 month policy instead of elephants 10 months. They dropped it to £1200.00 for 10 months. W@nkers! I was almost prepared to accept the £1370.00 as well

there is something screwy going on with insurance. I'm currently paying £450 for 12 months insurance with AXA, I tried getting a quote with some different insurence people recently and was getting £1000+ quotes! I tried AXA again to see what they would give me and they said £1200 and NOTHING has changed! same address, same NCD no convictions or accidents! just seems like they feel like ripping people off now

I think its the recession - most people's renewals have gone up or will go up probably 20% this year. I got a quote for renewal of mine before i sold it, and it went up from £800 to £1200, and as others have said - nothing's changed.

Motor insurance has always been a 'loss leader' for insurance companies. They sell it because it gives them the chance to quote for your household insurances, pet insurance, etc, etc on which they could make money. Also, they generally offer an monthly payment option, which is interest-bearing: they can make money here too.

However, this has been very cheap for along time, and insurers can't keep on posting big losses from their motor insurance if they're not recouping enough money on other insurances. I'll bet that they've all paid out a ton of money after all the snow and ice at the beginning of the year too.

when ur renewal comes through, go online, change ur house number to your next door neighbours, miss out the first letter of your name and surname, this allows it to appear as though your a new policy holder... compare it to your renewal(for me it was 300 quid cheaper) call them up with the reference and question it and they will match it

However, this has been very cheap for along time, and insurers can't keep on posting big losses from their motor insurance if they're not recouping enough money on other insurances. I'll bet that they've all paid out a ton of money after all the snow and ice at the beginning of the year too.

The problem i have with incurance companies is that they quote you a low price for your first year and then put it up 20% the following year, which for drivers like myself who are paying the maximum they can afford in their first year are struggling the next. If they need to put prices up it should be on all existing AND new policies, simple.

• 1 month later...