Privilege Insurance = NO PERFORMANCE MODS

philb1965

Just phoned them and they will not insure any performance mods as of 2nd April this year.

That's just stuffed me for changing my exhaust :bang: The lack of exhaust sound is the only downside of the car.

Looks like I'll have to wait until November and move my policy...well cheesed off.

Just phoned them and they will not insure any performance mods as of 2nd April this year.

That's just stuffed me for changing my exhaust :bang: The lack of exhaust sound is the only downside of the car.

Looks like I'll have to wait until November and move my policy...well cheesed off.

Surely the exhuast you plan on fitting came with the car from the dealer!! :p I know nothing about cars or exhausts Mr Insurance Man!! :shrug:

Surely the exhuast you plan on fitting came with the car from the dealer!! :p I know nothing about cars or exhausts Mr Insurance Man!! :shrug:

Fantastic advice there!! :doh:

It was said tongue in cheek, I have a lot of mods on my car and everyone is declared. Not a lot of advice you can give someone if they are only half way through their policy and the company won't accept mods.

It was said tongue in cheek, I have a lot of mods on my car and everyone is declared. Not a lot of advice you can give someone if they are only half way through their policy and the company won't accept mods.

fair enough, things are often misinterpreted on car club forums, it is wise to point out in this case that running with an undeclared exhaust potentially means running with a void insurance policy.

The only advice to give in this case would be to cancel and insure with a modification friendly insurer.

Fight! :boxing:

I know, posted it in case anybody else is with privilege, I've been with them 9 years and it's typical when I want to make a change to the car they stop insuring performance mods.

Never mind, I'll just have to be patient.

fair enough, things are often misinterpreted on car club forums, it is wise to point out in this case that running with an undeclared exhaust potentially means running with a void insurance policy.

The only advice to give in this case would be to cancel and insure with a modification friendly insurer.

Just depends on the cancellation policy in place, not worth cancelling if its going to cost you. Just keep saving the money and then put a few mods on when your policy expires and move to another insurer that allows mods, try Sky Insurance!! :lol::surrender:

Yep, I'll be shopping around. Privilege were only £350 a year and they've always been fairly cheap for me whatever car I've had.

Thats a good price. I moved to Chris Knot last time and I got a very good quote and the modifications didn't increase it that much at all. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I was with Privilege when I was buying my Zed. But as it had a Nismo exhaust they refused to insure me because of the 1% BHP gain. Had to cancel my policy but they didn't charge me a cancellation fee as they had change their T&Cs.

So no need to wait guys.

Cheers,

Geo

They told me that if it improves performance then they won't insure, but cosmetic mods were ok. Best bet is to give them a call and see what they say.

I'm going to have a look at changing insurance in the next few days. I can't wait until November.

Hi,

It's because Privilege Insurance is underwritten by Direct Line and they have had a policy (no pun intended) of not insuring cars with ANY mods, and that includes tinted windows. Some years ago I worked for a company that provided services for Direct Line and if my memory serves correctly both companies wee in the same building!! :dry:

from what I've learnt, if you pay less than £400 insurance then you either drive a sh1t car or your an old git :p

Careful... :headhurt: I pay £315 buisness use and strangley i drive a 350 and wouldnt consider myself an old git... :blush: (44)