Hello! ... Stillen SC Hoods & door mirrors!

not a fan of the hood but each to their own

Its not the best hood I have to agree, but the hood I've found in the OP looks the business!

Welcome to the forum!!

Your car sounds very familiar

Would it be this one by any chance?? Your spec seems to fit the bill :)

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle ... orthampton

That is indeed the one! They're tidying up a few areas, I should pick it up in abut a week :D

Thanks once again for the help, advice and notes of welcome :thumbs:

Welcome mate.

There's a youtube vid of the bonnet you're after:

It's the Stillen series 2 hood as here

Thanks for that tmJak! I've been looking for more pictures of that hood, now I've seen it, I'm well happy, its exactly what I wanted! :yahoo:

Oh dear...

Been to view the car again today to see how the small repairs are looking. Working through the history with a comb, discovered the following. Also noted that there are no service documents for the last 3 years, which hardly constitutes the claimed full service history. My own fault really, I checked the milages and noted work had been done, but not exactly what.

Born 2004(04 plate)

10k miles - Stillen Supercharger fitted by Nissan

20k miles - car recovered, 'Engine Rebuild' £3500

25k miles - new clutch

30k miles - loss of 3rd gear, new transmission! £2300

So, given that no car should require an engine rebuild and new transmission in less then 30k miles, I think this one might be more trouble then its worth :headhurt:

Anyone any advice please? Seems like I need to walk away and look for another...

Car recovered? Did the HPI check not pick that up? Or does that not refer to the usual stolen/recovered?

Tbh it's had the big things done so could well be avoid buy, but I'd want to know why the engine and gearbox went pop, and if the underlying issues have been fixed.

I should have added more detail, yes, it was breakdown recovery...its the engine rebuild and new transmission that concerns me. The cars had two owners, the previous hardly drove it, litterally 3k miles in a couple of years, with no sevice history. It was the first owner that did all the work. I've got the origional owners number, I'm going to call them, but unsure how much confidence thay will be able to give me. Theres so many of these cars available, none quite like this, but theres an aweful lot that could and has gone wrong with this one already...looking for another, none sc, seems the safest bet.

I would walk away personally with all the past problems its had. I dont think it is worth the risk!

I'm sure the SC boys will confirm that they have not experienced problems of this nature. either that or its not been looked after or setup properly with correct components hence the failures. Or it has been driven within an inch of its life!

Why not buy a standard example and personalise it yourself! There will be much more satisfaction knowing you done it and what has been done to it!

I'd be going with poor setup TBH

The stillen doesn't make a lot of power (its pretty much the same as a HR with bolt ons & map) so theres no way that the engine blew because of the power it was making.

Do you know which Nissan dealer fitted it?

looked at that for sale add, if it's yours can you confirm that someone battered the airbox and cut a hole in it? :scare:

I've just notice that too! Looks more like they have cut it in half!

He hasn't taken possesion of the car yet I believe so can still walk on this one?

Sure the OP has grounds to pull out of the deal given the fact the information supplied is incorrect? (ie the Full service History that the ad claims!)

looked at that for sale add, if it's yours can you confirm that someone battered the airbox and cut a hole in it? :scare:

I've just notice that too! Looks more like they have cut it in half!

He hasn't taken possesion of the car yet I believe so can still walk on this one?

Sure the OP has grounds to pull out of the deal given the fact the information supplied is incorrect? (ie the Full service History that the ad claims!)

, hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute something back to it. I've recently purchased a '04 350z, fulfilling 2 years of dreaming!

Hmm ok so either purschased or NOT purschased, can see above that he then changed it... mmm If you got a chance to walk away I'd walk away... OR get a reputable garage to give it a once over then haggle the price down :blush: I'd do the latter if it turns out good from the garage. With reputable garage I'm not talking a Nissan garage or the garage you're getting it from I'm talking about a garage at that knows how to tune these cars and can diagnose them properly and know what aftermarket mods is on her. :evil: Live on the edge... :drunk:

Its been a day of ups and downs!

I've decided to walk away from the questionable Stillen, I don't want to poor money into it should it go pop again. Lesson learnt on this one, I put down 250 on that stillen I doubt I'll get back. I considered it a done deal, they took it off sale, I was ready prepared to go pick it up next week.

Today I've seen and test drove a nice example of similar age car I'd be happy with, cheaper too. Not rushing into it this time though. As others above have suggested, I can enjoy customising in the future...I'm already browsing nismo kit!

Thanks for the advice folks! Its been emotional :doh:

:snack: OR you've got a real good car with a rebuild engine, gearbox and stillen SC ... ask to get it up to garage of your choice, bargain the price and get it a good once over... or walk away :D The stillen install must be worth a bit mate.

:teeth:

Nik

Try and get your money back. I would take a snapshot of the ad for record and approach them and claim it was incorrectly advertised.

Trading standard comes to mind if they dont play ball. Its just not right advertising incorrect or false information!

Worse case scenario £250 lost is probably better than £2500 lost due to remedial works on the car! If you had to spend that kind of money fixing it then you've almost forked out New Supercharger money!

If you are unsure about a Zed ask the chaps on the forum. I got a couple of lads to have a look at a Zed in Glasgow for me before flying up there to make the purchase! :thumbs:

There was talk of Nissan buying back engines, running gear a few years or so back to test, not sure if that was in the UK or not too. But in few of the fact it had an SC fitted pretty early on, if the rest of the build wasn't done properly, interesting.

Hope the latest one terms out to be good. [fingers crossed].