To Import or not to import

garygttdi

:thumbs: Hi Guys,

Any thoughts advice on the following:-

Manual or auto trip box?

Having seen so many ragged UK spec cars that are well strong on money, considering doing an import from Japan via Bonsai. Any issues I should consider, like do Grey Imports prove difficult to sell on once you decide to change. Which model should I go for it took me a while to realise they are called Fairlady in Japan.

Thinking I like the look of white, blue or Orange metallic, sounds like my budget will put me around a 3003/4 car. :surrender:

I would have thought the uk spec cars are cheap enough now that you don't have to bother with the import.

You must get the GT spec (with VDC and Brembo's). The brakes especially are an absolute must.

Don't bother with the auto, no fun, and you'll never be able to sell it!

Thanks guys, its been great advise as always will continue to look for a UK car then budget is around 9K which puts me just on the edge of affordability for decent stuff although the better ones are all around 11K. However as its a weekend car think I will consider slightly higher mileage ones, as this will come back to me over time.

I have been told the engine is made by Renault is that true?

:thumbs:

I really dont think you should import mate as there are plenty of nice examples around at the moment. Yes your budget is a little tight, but as you say... if you go for a higher mileage zed, you should be ok. My only advice would be to maybe hold off until you could put another 1k towards the zed and then you will get a much nicer example and not as many miles :thumbs:

Dont be put off by imports at all, just do your research on here using the search button and that should answer all your questions or doubts....... if not..... post up a question and I am sure some of us JDM owners will be able to sort you out :D

I used to import cars a few years ago, we used a reputable buyer in Japan and even then we got our fair share of sheds.

The reality is all cars are in the auction for a reason, Japan still has dealers and private sales. The reason for auction may range from making a quick sale to passing on a big problem.

The argument that the Japanese care for their cars better is total nonsense too, I have seen countless cars with frankly disgusting oil in the sump, obviously badly maintained with plenty of 'bodge' repairs. Cars are often auctioned with niggly annoying faults that are really hard to find and repair or accident damage. I have seen plenty of grade 4's which have had big wacks which wasn't spotted by the auction graders. I have witnessed shocking faults including on several occasions cars with blocked oil galleries where they had not been serviced when it was needed.

It used to be the case however that you could get great bargains in Japan due to the strong pound and weak Yen. Bear in mind that just a few years ago we would get as much as 250Y to the pound, now its more like 130Y, so to get something for a good price its so unlikely its a straight car.

There are 2 arguments that Jap cars have going for them:

1) they are often a higher spec. Take for example the Japanese EP3 Civic Type R which had a stronger engine, more powe,r limited slip diff, recaro seats and a better (white) colour scheme, the UK version (although ironically even the Jap cars were built in the UK) was greatly inferior so it was worth importing one of those. The 350Z however is not improved in JDM form, if anything its very slightly (although we are talking very slight) the inferior of the UK 350's. This isn't the first time that this has happened many UK cars were beefed up and are better than the JDM equivalent, the R33 GTR for example had an additional transmission cooler and the JZA80 Supra had more BHP, bigger turbos and bigger brakes.

2) Road salt. This for me is the biggest factor, Jap cars never seem to have any rust mainly due to the fact they dont use common old salt on their roads unlike us Brits. A 10 year old UK car will have surface rust all over everything underneath, a JDM will have none. Does this mean they will last longer? Maybe but most cars are so well rust protected anyway that the body will normally out live everything else on the car. I would say that Ford in particular ought to look at rust treatment as their cars STILL rust and need welding repairs after 10 years or less.

To conclude I would say, buy a JDM car by all means but don't buy blind. Pick one up in the UK where you can check it over for yourself and check for mechanical/electrical faults and accident damage.

Anthony.

my car came over through Bansai - still going strong :thumbs:

Don't forget that if you bring one over now and register it here, then whatever age it is you will be paying premium raod tax!

not any more! :thumbs: