What car should i go for?

mrobinson2

I may have a small budget of £1500-2000 ish in a couple months and want something of my own (the Zed is my girlfriends).

I have been looking for something like a clio 172 or maybe go back to my favorite car i've ever owned (Clio 1.8 16v) as i've had 3 of them and know them pretty well. the criteria are as follows:

must be front wheel drive (my preference!) and good fun in the twisties.

Must be cheap to insure (sub £650) (the 172 comes in at about that to give you a rough idea)

not bothered about service history and all that as i will prob run it into the ground anyway as it'll be our everything car and keep the zed for weekends away and such

got to give decent mpg i.e at least 30-35mpg comfortably.

any ideas?

You'll never get either for £2K, 172s are £4K and a GTi will be a very leggy one at that price point. That said, if having a leggy one doesn't matter then that'd be what I'd go for.

there are plenty of mk2 ph1 172s about for sub 2k. some ph2 172s even fall below 2k, i've been looking at them on pistonheads today. can even pick up the 172 exclusive of which only 172 were ever made for sub 2k if you look hard enough!

used to have a 172 which I bought from new (only car ive ever bought new!) - broke down a few times (alternator, exhaust fell off (on the way back from cornwall - had to drive for hours along the motorway with no back box/mid section - luckilly we had earplugs!) , electrics) but was a good fun little car, handled well, steering/gears decent, not terribly economical for a small hatchback (or maybe that was my driving at fault). Car was good on the twistys but also surprisingly decent on 400 mile motorway trips - didnt feel very special though and needed ragging. Would be a lot of fun for 2k!

seen this on pistonheads !! fun car I owned one once you may get a fair few hundred knocked off it if you barter :teeth:

£2,795

SAXO VTR WITH 41K MOONSTONE BLUE 1 OWNER FROM NEW F/S/H NO MODS 12 MONT MOT TAX JUST OUT NEW CAR FORCES SALE

Ste .

As good as? They're far superior if you're referring to the previous gen 1.8L Clios.

yes i am :teeth: this is my old one:

PIC_0108.jpg

brilliant little car

looks like my first car, except mine wasn't anywhere near as powerful as that little 'rocket' :teeth::lol:

Much easier to work on than those horrible 18 16v Clio's too. I seem to recall changing the alternator was practically an engine out job.

I changed the alternator on one of mine, what a joke, the bumper had to come off and because the bonnet opens from the windscreen up, that had to come off too, even then the slam panel was in the way and it took me bloody ages, in the pooring rain LOL

still, i loved that car, soooooooo much fun, just a bit old and too difficult to find a good one now!