Council ruined the cars paintwork when doing road!

Mark-UK

I went away the other week for a break to Jersey, my cars parked outside my home end of a lane out of the way, theres pot holes due to the snow we had, anyhow they dug up the road other Thursday and Friday when I was away, its a small lane and as I wasnt here the car stayed there for a few days whilst they did it, my mum rung me so i got my mate to move my car at the weekend as I was still due to be away for a few more days and they had not laid the new tarmac yet.

Anyhow just gone to the car now for first time proper since I got back and took it to clean it, its covered everywhere in small black tar like specs, the cars paintwork is a right mess, i tried wahsing off with jet hose stood far back but they wont budge, I used a drying cloth on one bit but could hear it scratching, even the windscreen wipers made a racket due to the crap on the screen. They have re-laid a large section of the road im on.

Im fuming, they should have asked someone to move the car, the machine ive been told was right up inches from my car at the back and at the side when it came past my car. I darent touch the paintwork for fear of ruining it even more, so what options do I have as it needs sorting now professionaly.

Thanks guys.

get onto the council with heaps of pictures and see what they say.

When my last car was parked up at work the company had been paid by the council to cut all the little grass verges. they used a hand held strimmer and another monkey followed with a leaf blower type thing. My car was parked noes onto a verge and when they cut it they came to blow the grass cuttings away but ended up spraying my front end with stones and grit - the results was crap loads of chips over my bonnet etc.

I took lots of pictures, got eyewitness reports etc and went to them and they promptly told me they would arrange for chips away to come out. there was iterally hundreds of chips so I told them I would accept only a respray, got a few quotes and they paid for up.

Also got a couple of aftermarket bits and bobs stuck on front while it was there - rude not to ;):p

Ask a detailer their opinion and get a quote for them to professionally remove the tar spots. This quote with lots of photo evidence should convince the council to pay up.

They can soon find the owner of a car if they dont pay a parking ticket in council enforced parking areas, so they could just as easily have found the owner of a car in order to move it to do their job.

In fact they should have warned people on the road of the work well in advance in order to prevent this very situation.

get to the council and try claim for some compo, then when you give up trying to draw blood from a stone, grab the tar remover, let it soak in 1 section at a time, wipe as much off as possible, dont sit scrubbing stuck on parts.

Once done the car, move to the clay bar. lube up, clay it, include the windows! and i bet you it will feel smooth as glass! then its a case of how much you want the scratches alreay in the paintwork removed. either get someone there to machine it, or just wax it yourself and be done with it

I bashed my leg once because council workers left old piping on the street, needed 4 stitches. They sent a nice chap round with a check for £250 and my mum bought me a new bike. They might be nice to you as well

Tar remover will shift it. I think AG do Intensive tar remover

+1 but its still alot of work thats best tackled by the hands of a pro valet service ;)

take pics and numerous quotes for a full monty valet package and for a respray(should be circa £200-300) and get the council to pay for it :p

i will choose the valet off course unless if they can't guarantee removing the tar which i doubt :teeth:

Just had 2 men from contracter come out, 2 blokes came, older manager was scraping the tar stuff off with his nail, you could hear the scratching, what a moron, I told him to stop that will you, said it would just polish out, which it won't. Then said it would hose off, which I tried for 2 hours Sunday.

He started rubbing it with a cloth, so told him to stop that too, no clue at all. So he's going back now to blame the council who should have put signs up or letters telling us to move our cars beforehand.

I said it needs tar removal, then clay bar then polish.

Lexx had a similar issue with the council and paint on his car. He got the council to pay for the car to be detailed I think

As Mike says, I came back from sea once to find blue specs of paint all over the back of my car.

I called the council immediately and they sent out an Inspector to have a look at the damage and he admitted responsibility (didnt have a leg to stand on as the paint matched the paint on the garage doors they'd painted.)

I informed the council that I would be getting the car repaired/resprayed by a company of my choice and they would be accepting footing the bill. I was refused to accept that they would simply try to clean the car themselves as was suggested.

So I went to a local professional detailer, got a quote, told the council, and they gave me a cheque.

The paint came off with a medium clay. It was the only part of the job the detailer did that was any good! But thats another story, and I see no need to drag that mans name through the mid again. No matter how tempted I am.